TV screen goes black for few seconds ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Simon B, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Simon B

Simon B New Member

Jul 28, 2017

Advertisements

Hoping I can get some help from the group. I am a long time Tivo user. I upgraded to the Bolt a year ago. Really happy with it. Recently, the TV picture would go black for a second or two, then come back. It was pretty random but would happen every 2 - 20 minutes. TV was a Toshiba 1080 I had been using all along. I tried a LG 4k TV and it does the same thing. I switched out HDMI cables and still get the same result so I think the issue is with the Bolt. Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas on how to resolve? Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What output resolution is the TiVo set to?

As a test, maybe 'force' the TiVo to either 720p or 1081i 'fixed' output to see if it clears up?

-KP

3. mpf541

mpf541 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I have been fighting this issue also. I have spent a lot of time with support on the phone and they are not really much help.
    After talking with them and having Comcast out to check the line they pull up the diagnostics and see that I have a SNR of 36. They are telling me that this is causing the issue. I did some checking and come to see that this may actually be causing this issue. While I am not sure If it will I did some checking on Amazon for what support says I need. A Attenuator. A lot of the reviews say this help people. And for 5.95 I figures I would try it. If not tivo is going to RMA the bolt for me. never had this issue with other tivos and I have a roamio with the same readings. But I am told the bolt tuners are more likley to have this issue. Will be a few days before I know though

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have two basic Roamio units and both have a Signal % of 90 and SNR of 36dB. No problems. They are idiots. I set my video output to:
    1080p 24/25fps (pass thru)
    1080i
    and that's all. My TV prefers 1080i (Sony 1080p).

5. mpf541

mpf541 Member

Nov 24, 2009

Advertisements

And I am talking bolt which has a different tuner. My Roamio works fine

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is your TV resyncing and showing the resolution? Or is the black part of the recording?

If it's part of the recording then I'd say it's the tuner or signal. If the TV is resyncing then it's probably an HDMI issue. You might want to try a different HDMI cable, perhaps one that's 2.0 certified.

7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I get this once in a while. All my stuff is in a closet probably 30 feet of cable away. In order to HDR stuff I wound up getting a Celerity Fiber Optic cable that has a USB dongle for power.
    It works pretty good but every once in a while I get the black flashes. I restart the TV and it seems to cure the problem.

8. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The only way I was able to fix this was to change the TiVo output display from automatic back to 1080. I spent hours changing things and talked with both TiVo and LG support. Then I just gave up since I don't even get 4K channels anyway.

9. mpf541

mpf541 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well turns out that the attenuators did not fix my issue. It stated doing it on amazon video and the great tivo tech I talked to still wanted to run diagnostics to check out the tuners. I had to complain and ask for a manager to get another tech. This one read the notes and said right away that they needed to swap the box. Nice when you finally get someone that know what they are doing.

10. 714TV

714TV New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Help Please.

I been using my Tivo Bolt for about 7 months now on a Samsung 1080p tv. I just upgraded my tv to a 4K Samsung Mu7000. I be watching Live tv then all of sudden the screen is black and no sound for a sec or two. I tried watching dvr it did the same thing about 40min or 1hr into watching dvr it went black for a second.

My tivo is on ver 20.7.4Rc12

11. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You probably ought to start your own thread...or at least provide some equipment details...

-KP

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Try a different HDMI cable and see if that fixes it.

13. 714TV

714TV New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Psu_Sudzi
    Yes I have tried 3 drifferent Hdmi. I just returned the tv Samsung Mu7000. I am hoping this Sony tv will not the same problem with the tivo.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. bootman_head_fi

bootman_head_fi Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Are you rebooting your bolt when you swap out the tv?

You need to clear out the EDID info so that the HDMI handshake can properly sync.
    Also list what settings you have on the bolt for video.
    On the display is HEC enabled?
    And you didn't mention what HDMI cables you used.
    Swapping out for another cable you had on hand that worked before in a 1080p setup is no guarantee that is will now work with a 4k setup requiring much more data to pass through them.
    Lots of fun with HDMI. :)

15. 714TV

714TV New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Thank you for your respones and help.

I have my tivo set to auto the tivo's resolution.
    I am using AudioQuest Cinnamon Series Hdmi cables. 2.0
    y
    es the Hec was enabled. I tried everything. just gave up and return the Samsung and got a Sony, no issues now.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    DId you only have one framerate and resolution set? Because multiple resolutions/framerates will cause any HDMI TV to resync when the resolution or framerate changes. Of course some TVs do it faster than others, but there is always a certain amount of time it takes for the switch. From a split second to a few seconds.

17. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I’m having this problem as well with a new Mini 4K.

It’s not my cables, same cable works with my 4k blue ray and firetv.

How do I clear out whatever to fix the handshake?

sehale likes this.
  18. baconNeggs

baconNeggs New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Solved it for my set up. btw: my set up is old - Series 3 TiVo and 2009 NAD T 747 receiver)

Had the same issue. I think bootman_head_fi, above, is correct in that the glitch is probably in the handshake- TiVo or the stereo/receiver have to make a decision about the format of the video, if either side patches their OS software, a little change can make that handshake/or video format-decision process buggy/lead to video drops.

After I read this string, I looked first at the Stereo/Receiver then the Tivo's settings. This is what I found and then changed to:

Receiver settings: video was set to 1080p - I changed that to 1080i (in part because my stereo's interface recommended 1080i as "the preferred TV signal"...with a note that it would ignore any signal going through "passthru" (i guess meaning 1080p or 4K)).

Tivo settings: video was set to all four of these formats 480, 720, 1080i, 1080p - I changed that to "auto"

Problem seems to be gone. Would not have figured it out without this thread. Because my equipment is older, I thought either TiVo or receiver was dying. Not a happy feeling, if I guess incorrectly, then I have to by a new TiVo and a new receiver. This thread totally helped me. Thx.

19. rfwaagner1

rfwaagner1 New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I recently added the Tivo Bolt Vox to my Samsung 4K TV. I intermittently received the black screens for a second or two = very annoying. I first tried rebooting the Bolt and the TV several times and let the TV rediscover the Bolt. This did not help. I then moved the HDMI cable to the second TV HDMI port. This helped somewhat but the problem still existed. I then bought a new HDMI 2.0 cable for 4K with integrated ethernet. Since replacing the cable, the problem seems to be gone! Be sure to use the correct high quality 4K with ethernet HDMI cable.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Interesting.. my Samsung TV (MU800) has been doing the same AND on one channel, sound drops out too for a second or 2. I do have a case open with Samsung now. but so far.... Zip help. I'm using quality HDMI cables (PowerBear HDMI Cable Ultra-HD (UHD) 4K HDMI 2.0 Cable [18Gbs Audio Ethernet])

My Tivo was set to "auto" for the video... Same issue.

Thanks for sharing.