1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Roamio can't program correct PBS channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by WindsurferLA, Jun 21, 2018.

1. WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Channel selector shows three "50.1 pbs" OTA channels for Los Angeles. When view TV is selected, only the 50.1 pbs HD brings up a signal. As no signal can be found for the others, they have been "unselected" in the list. When we go to program out TIVO Roamio to record the NewsHour, the 50.1 pbs HD channel is not shown as an option. For the last two nights, the TIVO has failed to record the PBS NewsHour. We believe that is a result of it being programmed to record from a channel without a signal, but we're not given the option of selecting the channel with the signal.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can unselect the "non-working" channels in the Channels list under Settings, but the question would be which ones are being received or not.

While in Live TV, Press Guide, then A (options), go down to Channels:
    The options there are All, you receive, and Favorites (not exact wording here.) Choose the Receive one. Save it. Leave the guide.

Next, Channel Up or Dn, find channels you do not want or not received. With the screen clear of Tivo on-screen stuff (Press Clear), Press Select and the press Left arrow until the channel column is highlighted Select it. and choose "Remove from Channels list." Favorites can also be set here. Repeat for all other channels.

This way is easier as you can view each channel.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Same problem here with KOCE, they spectrum reallocated.
    Rescan | PBS SoCal

The 50.1 that can be tuned in with my Roamio has schedules that say "To be announced" and the 50.1 that does Not work has the actual listings. Tivo needs to fix, please report to Tivo, more than my request could possibly help.

Report a Lineup Issue

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The problem remains as of the evening of 21 June 2018, PDT.

The inserted image shows the status of channel 50-1 in the channel line up.
    Channel 50-1 "KOCEDT PBS Affiliate" displays the PBS logo on the right; it is not show as selected.
    Channel 50-1 "PBS-HD PBS-HD" does not show the PBS logo. It is shown as selected and as a favorite.
    When engaging Live Television, reception is found on "Channel 50-1 "PBS-HD PBS-HD" even though it does not show the PBS logo. "
    When engaging Live Television, "Channel 50-1 "KOCEDT PBS Affiliate" yields searching for service.

Only "KOCEDT PBS Affiliate" is the only 50-1 channel option for pre-programming TIVO recording. It doesn't work.
    the "PBS-HD" channel is not even presented as an option.
    The power to the TIVO box has been interrupted to force rebooting of the software, but the problem remains.

PBS-NoRecord (Medium).jpeg

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Just did a manual, Network, Tivo Service connection. Success !

50-1 KOCEDT has the schedule listings And can tune in the station. So I think it is fixed.

6. WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    My wife reports that last night, Friday night, Tivo recorded the 6 PM PBS Newshour that had been manually programmed (days previously) to record from 50-1 as well as the automatically programmed 7 PM PBS Newshour on channel 50-4. It recorded the 6 pm broadcast on 50-1 even though my wife insists that the Tivo setup was not recognizing the existence of channel 50-1. Hopefully it will continue to record the 6 PM broadcast which we typically watch beginning about 6:50 PM.

I'm not sure why the Tivo was not showing 50-1 in the channel list as the other TVs in our house were finding it after an updated OTA station scan. Perhaps, the Tivo needs yet another OTA station scan update to display the correct information.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not sure if I understand your question/situation exactly..

but if you had manually set a recording days earlier, it would still be set to record, even if you removed the channel..

Even an automatically set recording (e.g. one pass recording) MIGHT still record from the wrong channel if done within a day or so of updating the channel list.. This one I'm a bit more iffy about, but I think just like the regular rescheduler runs overnight, I think this would be fixed overnight too..

(Setting a new OP on the new channel would make it happen right away...)

8. WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Without any action on our part, the perplexing situation has disappeared, and the machine is once again capable of being programmed in accordance with Tivo's directions. I'm not sure as to why the Ramio OTA Tivo would not work as intended, but it seems to have cured itself. In the mean while, via Roku, we were able to watch the PBS NewsHour after the initial broadcast.

9. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    KOCE sold the radio frequency they had broadcast with and on 6/19/2018 moved to a different frequency. TiVo knew about it ahead of time but took until 6/22 to properly fix it. KOCE announced the change here: Rescan | PBS SoCal

10. dstoffa

dstoffa Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Tivo doesn't fix anything. They aren't going to fix anything.

Your Tivo has an ATSC tuner in it. Your Tivo downloads guide data, based on a virtual channel number / call letters. The guide data is mated with either call letters or virtual channel numbers.

The ATSC tuner must scan the airwaves to match radio frquency (RF) channel numbers to virtual channel numbers / call signs. When a television station changes it's radio frequency, the Tivo doesn't know this. All the Tivo knows is that the programming it is expecting on the old frequency is no longer there. So it doesn't tune anything. You need to have your Tivo's ATSC tuner update its internal mappings any time that a broadcaster switches its radio frequency - even if it's keeping the same virtual channel number.

Some digital sub-channels may be going off the air as a result of a repack, as there isn't enough bandwidth for all of them (should the channel elect to share its bandwidth).

11. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I did Not have tell my Roamio to rescan. I Did report a Lineup Issue to Tivo, via their form. See message 3 above.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Isn't there some debate between you and @JoeKustra as to whether your understanding of this is correct? This in recent posts to this thread:
    Channel repack has begun, and it's not good!

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I could be wrong. TiVo doesn't supply source code or schematics. :D