tv not recognizing request to change channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 3allens, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 3allens

3allens New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    stuck on one channel. Can access tivo central and tv listings, etc., just that when I request a channel change, the TV remains set on same channel. Tivo series2DT connected with Comcast cable box (Motorola) with new LCD TV. Tivo is showing recording programs, but the recordings are being done from the same original channel, nevber changing to proper channel. So TV is not recognizing the request to change a channel I assume? Please help....have been at this for over 12 hours with NO help from Tivo or Comcast.

Never had this problem before, but just hooked up new LCD TV.

BTW - using serial cable connection, not IR cable.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe the serial connection has somehow become disabled(firmware update to cable box)? Or maybe the serial cable has just gone bad. Have another to test?

You might have to go with infrared blaster. At least for a test.

3. 3allens

3allens New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks dewit. I'll have to track down another serial connection. Iis that something I can get from a local store or something I need to obtain from tivo/comcast? I do not have the IR cable anymore - have been using same tivo/comcast cable set-up for a few years now with no isues.

I disconnected tivo and hooked up straight to my cable box and everything working fine. Backtracked and tried to add the tivo again to no avail. The channel signal is not making it from cable to tivo to tv....maddening to say the least.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You might redo guided setup and see if that changes anything.

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    1. Check your connections is the cable Digital Transport Adapter box's output actually connected to the TiVo? You may be just recording channel 3 (or 4)
    2. Try changing the channels using the DTA's remote.
    3. Power cycle the DTA box, check that the serial cable did not get unplugged.
    4. Go to settings -> channels I receive and re-do the DTA setup.

this link may help How do I set up my Series2 Dual Tuner DVR with a cable box?

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    From the OP's description, he has the old Motorola cable box, not a DTA, particularly since he says that he is using the serial connection. There is no serial connection on the Comcast DTAs.

7. 3allens

3allens New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Going through guided set-up again worked. My misery has ended:) Thanks for all of your responses.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I have a theory but it doesn't completely match the symptoms - That Comcast moved some channels from analog to digital but the TiVo didn't know about it and was still trying to access them through its direct connection rather than through the cable box.