TV must be ON to change channels ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by walterliv, Jan 9, 2006.

1. walterliv

walterliv New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hi - I've got a Humax Series 2 connected to a Motorola DCT 2224/1661/acdegk, and had the IR Blaster attached. I've been through the channel setup through the IR a million times, and it all tests correctly. I usually watch channel 66 on our cable, and record from channel 11 most times. If the TV set is on and I am watching it, TIVO will ask if it can change channels in 1 minute - I usually don't have to answer the question - then it changes the channel at the right time and to the right channel. But if the TV is off, the show I wanted to record is blank (dark screen), the lineup says it's channel 11, but the sound is from channel 66. It never changes the channel when the TV is not on.

I've tried to attach the serial cable, but it fails the test - TIVO can't talk to the Motorola serial port.

Any ideas ??

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The cable box has to be on, not the TV.

How are you splitting the cable? How can you be watching from one and recording the other, and still see the mesage from the Tivo? If you are splitting the cable to watch one and record the other, you shouldn't be seeing the Tivo at all when you watch regular tv.

3. walterliv

walterliv New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hi - sorry I wasn't clear. The cable box is on, but the TV is off. The last channel I was on was something other than what I wanted to record (i.e., 66), and it fails to change channels. However, if the TV is on TIVO sends the message it wants to change channels, and it does change the channel, and everything records fine. It's only when the TV is off (cable box on) that it records the sound from the last channel I was watching, and a blank video.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    Make sure cable box is being fed direct from wall (or splitter connected direct to wall), not from the TV's "converter out" loop.

5. walterliv

walterliv New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks all - I found the problem. We were using the remote from the converter and when we shut off the TV it would shut off the converter. So, we are going to work on that, and start using the TV remote to turn off the TV (lets the converter stay on).

Thanks for the assistance.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Or setup the TiVo remote to turn off the TV.