TV Listings go from bad to worse-Now getting Spanish

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ariette, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Ariette

Ariette Member

Aug 27, 2005

Advertisements

Ever since Rovi and now the new company have been running Tivo-- the once decent, reliable Tivo TV listings have been the worst TV listings on the planet. I get shows listed for wrong times and lengths. I get shows listed that aren't in my area, like "Action News", which I guess is some local news show somewhere in the US. In the past few days, I've been getting some shows with descriptions in Spanish.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I thought Tivo was still located in Silicon Valley. So, Tivo employees should be able to see for themselves just how awful the TV listings are. Or maybe Tivo employees don't use their own products!

So, does anyone have any info about what to do about these ongoing, chronic problems?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It would help a lot of gave more info such as if you're OTA or Cable, which model you have, and what channels are showing the guide data.
    Without those kinds of things all you've got is a good but valid rant that we sympathize with, but nothing to be able to help you.

It's certainly no surprise to anyone here that the retail DVRs are just treading water, we've been saying that since Rovi bought the company.

3. Ariette

Ariette Member

Aug 27, 2005
    I didn't mention OTA or Cable or models, because I do not believe that has anything to do whatsover with these ongoing problems. I have Bolt Vox, Roamio, and Premiere with Xfinity/ Comcast. The listings on my Xfinity X1 receiver are almost always right, so Xfinity is definitely not the problem. There have been dozens if not hundreds of problems with TV listings for years now-- too many to list each individually. Over the years, I have tried reconnecting and restarting the boxes, and that doesn't work.

So, I guess my question is what is the best way to get Tivo to deal with this problem? Is it best to call or chat, etc? Is there some higher up I can talk to?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  4. cpgny9

cpgny9 Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Couldn’t agree more - it’s terrible. About to throw mine out the window. On my bolt and roamio both running TE3 for Fios, almost everything shows up as “new”. Tons of shows just say “programming”, guide data only goes out 8 or 9 days. I’ve tried rebooting, rerunning guided setup, it’s connecting successfully everyday, etc. it’s become so unreliable that I either miss a ton of recordings or record a ton of stuff it shouldn’t. Starting to wonder if this is because of TE3 and maybe it’s time to move to TE4 (won’t be thrilled if that’s the case, but if that makes it work again I’ll deal with it). I had every box since series 2 (except the edge), on both cable and directv and it’s never been like this.

At this point, i think pulling out the vcr and old vhs tapes would be a more reliable option

5. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

The unfortunate answer is that there is very little you can do, we all know the Rovi data is crap, but knowing that you're using a Comcast lineup in your area would help if others see the same thing, Tivo uses its own Rovi supplied guide data and it's different for different regions, I know that the data they have from Verizon for FiOS in my area is almost always solid and correct.

It can also be a particular station that's giving Tivo bad master data.

6. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I have Verizon FiOS and was seeing this crap in my guide data for, I think it was, HGTV or similar stations in my lineup over the last few days. It may have been, or may also have been, in the local sub-channels area. Either way, it was confusing as all get out as I thought for certain I had hit the wrong button somewhere and turned the text into another default language when I hadn't.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I had one show I watched this morning (IIRC, recorded yesterday) that had the synopsis in Spanish. I haven't looked to see if there were more, but I guess I wasn't surprised. Since Rovi the guide data sucks and, for quite a long time now, has hardly gotten better at all.

9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Tivo Bolt 500 (using OTA). Some Spanish and some No Information. Shrug.

10. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    my local Telco cable company (Consolidated) musty use Rovi too because last weeks ViceTV's "Dark Side of the Ring" episode on Owen Hart the description was in Spanish.

Seen that more than a few times. Its IPTV so can't use Tivo. My Tivo is OTA

11. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't know if this is regional or on newer tivos but I have none of this.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Check The Tonight Show for Thursday NBC 11:30pm. It should still be in your TiVo. Spanish with TE3 and TE4. With TE4 you need to hit Info.

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I just checked my Roamio, TE3, and no upcoming Tonight Show listings are in Spanish.

14. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That I can't do, used to be able to go back 4 or so days, for at least a couple of years now at most 23 hours (at midnight day before disappears) Asked tivo about it when first stated of course got the reboot advice.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That one is even on my unit but I never would have seen it, but I don't think Spanish descriptions are a wide spread issue since that's the first I've seen.

16. Morris Altman

Morris Altman New Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Go into your channel listings and disable all Spanish channels. I also disabled all the non HD channels that have HD versions.

17. enigma9o7

enigma9o7 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I'm in bay area (OTA) and never seen spanish. I checked the guide for Thursdays Jimmy Falon out of curiosity. Guide is in english. If I press info on that show it says "Description not available" in English. Maybe the network hasn't provided an english description so comcast decided spanish was better than no description..

18. enigma9o7

enigma9o7 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I got you beat. I disabled all channels that aren't English or aren't HD (except one).