TV goes blank alot

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Newbie, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002

Advertisements

I have a series 3 HD connected to a sony KDSR60XBR2 tv via HDMI. The screen goes blank for about 4 seconds whenever Tivo is switching from the menu system to video or vice versa.

E.g. while viewing a recorded program I press the tivo button, I see the menu text scroll horizontally in for a split second, then the screen goes blank. 4 seconds later the screen comes back and I see the tivo main menu.

After I select a program and select "play", the screen goes blank and 4 seconds later the program is playing on screen.

Does anyone know why the 4 second blanking?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Many Tvs (including Sony) have a delay when changing resolution inputs. The menus are displayed in 720P (I think) and your other inputs may be 1080i or 480 (analog). When the TV makes the switch this will occurr.

To keep the resolution changes to a minimum I set the Tivo format to 1080i fixed (so this doesn't happen when changing channels).

In my case (I used to have this problem a lot) when I changed the output to 1080i fixed, it not only eliminate the delay in channel changing, but also significantly speeded up the menu display also. I'd swear that the menus were converted to 1080i also, but others have told me that this is not the case.

All I know is it solved the problem.

3. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I think its changing from 480p to 1080i or 720p I think if you fix it to 1080i or 720p this shoud go away.

4. TracerBullet

TracerBullet New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    My only problem with setting it at 720p or 1080i fixed is that it messes up the aspect ratio of SD material.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

You can use the 720p or 1080i Hybrid mode to keep all HD content fixed to 1080i or 720p and display SD video at 480p. This will not eliminate the video switching but would at least lower the amount of times it does it. Although its not clear to me what using fixed mode does to the aspect ratio unless you are referring to using the aspect button from your TV.

6. gschoen

gschoen Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    In fixed 1080i or 720p mode, you can still adjust the aspect ratio to sidebars (I think called panels?), stretch, or zoom. Exception - HD stations are usually fixed, even with SD material, but you can't adjust that regardless.

7. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks you all very much. Setting it to 1080i fixed does get rid of the blank screen.

Although the aspect ratio is messed up, it's quick to fix by pressing the aspect button. Since tivo is about saving time, I'm still ahead -- got rid of 4 second blanks screen, takes 1 second to change aspect ratio.