turning off Tivo ads inserted into guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Flashmasta, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Flashmasta

Flashmasta New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I'm starting a new thread since the discussion was clogging up the chat about pre-roll ads. I'm not sure if Tivo has talked about an official way to turn these off (like calling a CSR and asking for pre-roll ad removal). If you know of an official way then please let us know.

As Charles R mentioned in the other thread, blocking mm1.tivoservice.com does seem to remove the ads in the guide. It appears that if you do so when the Tivo first boots then the ads will not show up, and then you can remove the block after with no other side effects. In my testing I have noticed that if I keep the block enabled it breaks Tivo suggestions, the Search interface, and online.tivo.com and mobile app access. The apps would appear to work for a few minutes but would then act like my device was offline. My guess is the device uses that domain as a sort of proxy.

On a positive note, you can enable/disable the block as needed but if your Tivo reboots in the night for an update then your left removing the ads manually the next day. It might be possible to drill it down further (ex. mm1.tivoservice.com/ads/) but it would require something other than DNS blocking like OpenDNS or Pi-hole.

Chuck_IV, Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  2. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    They must of removed them recently. I rebooted my bolt and my minis yesterday and they are all gone now ! I didn’t block anything or do anything special. I hope it stays like this

3. Emty

Emty New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I tried email, chat, and phone. 0 / 3 with the same answer every time - this is a valuable new feature we have given you. There is no way to turn it off. Instructions for how to make a suggestion for a new feature ...

Blocking DNS at the router took care of the problem in much less time than the phone call to Tivo.

I can confirm the experiences listed here and in the other thread, that you can remove the block after the Tivo boots, and that leaving the block in place does break some items including online.tivo.com. I also found that after you remove the block, there are other actions that can cause the Guide ads to come back. Using the Settings menu to change accessibility options, or using the "A" button change Guide options while the Guide is open. These will cause a hit on mm1.tivoservice.com and turn the Guide ads back on. Unfortunately the reverse isn't true. After turning on the DNS block, changing Guide options doesn't remove the ads. Restarting the box seems to be the only way to turn them off. Conclusion - once you get them turned off, don't monky with Guide options or anything from the Settings menu.

More details about "blocking DNS at the router" since that totally depends on individual routers, network configuration, and technical skills:

My router is running DD-WRT, using dnsmasq for local DNS and serving it by DHCP to the rest of the LAN, including TIVO boxes. I added options to return a static LAN address for mm1.tivoservice.com. I did not have success by returning "Not Found" or loopback address 127.0.0.1, even though other reports have said that worked. The Guide Ads were only blocked when DNS returned a valid IP on my LAN that is running a web server. I may have been making some other mistake that kept the simpler options from working, or it may be something specific to my configuration. PiHole and various router content filters behave differently in what DNS response they return, and whether they will even serve up bogus HTTP content to fool the client.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    JACKASTOR likes this.
  4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    JammasterC likes this.
  5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Sorry TiVo, cancelled cable and use OTA only with TE3, zoom button works now too.

6. JammasterC

JammasterC giggty, giggty

Aug 9, 2005
    Southern, NJ
    Same here and it’s so much better now.

7. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    My bolt with 21.9.6.v7-USH-11-A95 still has them, but my Edge with 21.9.2.1.v8-USM-12-D6F no longer does either. The Edge firmware is essentially the engineering fix for tuning adapters(although cablecard edges are D6E so that's a little weird), there hasn't been an update on the Edge since then so maybe they are rolling out firmware and removing tivo+ from the guide in waves. It could always be a bug and it could pop back up. Hopefully not, the guide looks better without the tivo+ ad there for sure.

8. JammasterC

Aug 9, 2005
    Southern, NJ
    Boo! They’re back.

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ...and they’ back :(:(

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No ads on my Roamio host, but they still infect my Mini VOX.

11. JammasterC

Aug 9, 2005
    Southern, NJ
    It was really nice without them.

Make them go away !

12. jcliff

jcliff Member TCF Club

May 23, 2017
    No matter what I've tried, they always come back.

I decided to upgrade the HDD in one of my Bolts (the one that still have TE4), and I'm going to use it as an opportunity to sidegrade to TE3. The banners have been making the guide "jump" at certain points, which makes it impossible to browse entire sections of channels without directly tuning to them first.

I'll miss some features, but at least the guide will be usable again.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After a power cycle on my Roamio the TiVo+ junk is back in my guide.

14. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I did this recently and I really don’t miss a thing and love the speed that TE3 brought back to my Roamios(and it’s blazing on my Bolt). I guess it’s because I never used the auto skip and I don’t use the box for any type of apps, I don’t feel like I lost anything and gained more. Plus I much prefer the way the guide scrolls in TE3 in that when you move up/down one past what is visible, it will scroll just one line at a time instead of a full page like TE4.

Rolling back to TE3 on my three TiVo’s was the way to go for us.

As a side note, be careful if you try to block things in your router(vs PieHole). I blocked a few sites in my router(Netgear) to block prerolls and got a browser cookie stuck in my Bolt that blocked me from starting new recordings. Even circumventing the router(direct connect from modem) it still had the blocked cookie in it. I had to do a complete reset to get rid of it. That’s when I took the time to roll back to TE3, to save myself from more headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    V7Goose, Mikeguy and foghorn2 like this.
  15. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    How do you roll back to TE3 ??

Do you also lose all the recordings ??

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Salacious Crumb likes this.
  17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ….and today, …..gone :):)

(…….but I know that this is only temporary, and that they'll soon be back :()

Balzer and JammasterC like this.
  18. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Mine are gone again too.

19. Skye

Skye Member

May 18, 2018
    I put tivoservice into my routers list of blocked keywords, rebooted the Bolt and the guide ads are gone. So far no side effects, I can still connect to my Bolt using the Tivo app on my phone.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    My guide hasn’t had ads for a couple of weeks. But I expect that they’ll return.