turning off promotional recording - is it possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvmaster2, Aug 12, 2011.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I share a cable box between my Tivo series 2 LIFETIME and a Hauppauge recording device.
    My Hauppauge recordings keep getting ruined because the Tivo is changing channels in the middle of the night, since I don't have a recording set-up on the Tivo.
    The Tivo records promo junk at 4am, and even though I have "Showcase" turned OFF, I cannot stop the Tivo from changing channels.
    Tivo support says it's part of the service aggreement to keep costs down.
    :(
    Does anyone know of a way to stop this undesirable practice? I thought when you paid for a Lifetime license, that kind of thing would stop. Guess not.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why would this be linked to lifetime service? I imagine the cost for lifetime already includes the cost savings from their ad deals.

If your tuners are recording something you scheduled, the tivo should not be moving away from those programs. Are you just setting the channels and leaving them alone?

3. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    The TIVO tuners have nothing scheduled, yet often the HAUPPAUGE tuners do, and it is the Hauppauge tuner that is controlling the cable box at that moment. The Tivo doesn't know that the cable box is in use, and hence, the Tivo decides it's AOK to change channels and sell me crap.
    Does that make sense?

4. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Set the tivo for manual recordings during those times, then these will not be picked up.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The problem is that the TiVo doesn't know that Hauppauge is recording something else.

My question is: Why does the OP have things set up like this? Just record everything on the TiVo.

6. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    because the OP uses Hauppauge for HD material, which the Tivo Series 2 isn't capable of.

7. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    can you explain that in a little more detail please :)

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How will that help? It will still change the channel on the cable box.

9. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    According to the OP, the TiVo is not controlling the box. I'm assuming that the TiVo is just sitting on the last channel the OP set it on. So, setting up a manual recording for that channel will prevent the TiVo from changing the channel for the teleworld broadcast he is complaining about.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Then remove the cable box from the TiVo and use it for analog channels only.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No, according to the OP both the TiVo and the Hauppauge are controlling the cable box. If the TiVo weren't controlling the cable box, it wouldn't be causing a problem.

12. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    correct - the Hauppauge is mainly in control, but I have some season pass's set up on the Tivo in case I forget, also, I can schedule recordings remotely on the Tivo.

As far as 'analogue' goes, I can't do as you suggest, for same reason - the pass's are often from higher number (but still SD) channels, that wouldn't be available without the cable box.
    Unless someone knows a software hack, I guess I am pretty much screwed at the beck and call of the Tivo service agreement

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    My fingers really hurt from biting them to avoid making a comment that might initiate a flame war. Of course, this is far from the only thread where I have to do this.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm no fan of the Teleworld Paid Program, but your problem is your goofy setup, not the TiVo service agreement. You can't expect to have two devices controlling a single STB and not have them conflict at some point.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just set the Tivo to record the same channel as the other DVR during that time, then delete the recording from the Tivo and watch it in HD on the other box.

16. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    How much would it cost for you to get another cable box?

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...

Now that might work, assuming that you can put enough leading padding on the TiVo recording to avoid having the cable box get confused by receiving simultaneous commands from two sources. If you are recording back to back showings on one or the other, you might still have a problem.

To the OP:

If this is a single tuner TiVo, then get a DTA from your cable company and move recordings for channels the DTA can't access to the Hauppage.

Blaming this on TiVo is, um, well I'm not going to say what I really think. Suffice it to say that it isn't TiVo's fault that your cable company moved most if not all your channels to digital. Nor that you apparently can't remote schedule the Hauppauge.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you think it is TiVo's responsibility to support your kludgey, partially crippled, and (probably) unique setup.

18. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    i have never heard of such a goofy setup - i am outta this thread

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    You could get a timer that actually turns off your Tivo (ie, cuts the power to it, like a light timer) during the period Teleworld programming occurs. Does this occur at the same time every day? What channel does Teleworld programming come in on? Could you just remove this from your channel list, or do you record other things on that channel?

Those are two possible, automated solutions.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The Tivo is recording the Teleworld Paid program. It does this automatically and can only be thwarted by you canceling the recordings or setting the Tivo to manually record.

Do a title search on the Tivo for 'Teleworld paid program'. Select the matching result. You will notice that it shows as set to record. Here the Tivo gives you the option to cancel the recording. I don't know if it will work, but if it does, I assume you will have to do this every evening before you go to bed.

To block this recording, set your Tivo up to do a daily manual recording that spans the time you expect your Hauppauge unit will be active.

In your case, you would start the manual recording before you expect the Hauppauge unit to take over and end it at 5:00 am (after the Teleworld paid program has aired).
    You will have one long program in your NPL that you can delete the next morning.

ETA: Or do what justen_m suggests with the timer.