Turn off suggestion recoding

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kimos, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Recently when I got home found my TiVo recording something on suuggest recording. Any way can cancel of turn off this feature?

2. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    You're going to get 75 replies telling you why you should leave it on, but yes, you can turn it off.
    TiVo Central>Settings & Messages>Settings>Recording>TiVo Suggestions>No, don't record TiVo suggestions.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Just in case you don't know - a suggestion will never conflict with anything you schedule nor will any of your shows be deleted to make room for a suggestion.

(Suggestions also get "smarter over time)

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Correct, I made this mistake early on an quickly disabled the option for the programs recorded had no interest to me whatsoever

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If you never bother to teach it (even by it learning from your recordings) then of course they won't interest you, it's just guessing.
    (obligatory "hey suggestions rock!" post)

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Let the suggestions engine have recording data for a few months and use the thumbs buttons and you will be surprised at how many of the suggestions you will feel were specifically tailored for you.

Never understood why people turn off the function.

7. kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks everyone! But my think this option if not off will start automatic might waste space

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    it will NOT waste space, it will NOT ever stop a scheduled recording from happening.
    It will ALWAYS delete suggestions before any program you've recorded.
    Suggestions take no space that you would ever use for your own programs.

Think of the Tivo like a dog, all it wants to ever do is fill the hard drive with things you want to watch to make you happy, so it constantly brings them to you via suggestions saying "do you like this one?" and won't ever stop.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The main problem is that people don't understand how it is used.

As noted earlier, it takes NO SPACE at all.

I suggest try it, see if you like it. If you don't, then disable. Make sure to use thumbs- only use three thumbs sparingly.

My 2TB premiere has hundreds of suggestions, all of which have someone in the house that may be interested in. But, I have only 24% full of my movies and such that are from pyTiVo and season passes.

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I am OCD about my shows, so I record what I want and I have never had suggestions list something I liked I wasn't recording. For me it usually lists a ton of syndicated content, which I don't really rewatch old TV.

Let's just say I have more season passes than Suggestions listings. I was shocked when I logged in TiVo.com and saw how many I had on one box. I definitely need to do some housecleaning on my TiVo HD.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The other problem is it effectively kills Recently Deleted folder which I think is much more important than suggestions, especially in a household full of people who may accidentally delete something that hasn't been watched by everyone yet.

Not to mention when you actually stop suggestions all the previously categorized suggestions no longer stay self-contained in suggestions folder, thereby polluting your NPL with a bunch of junk. At least that was behavior last time I actually had suggestions enabled during some testing.

Finally, I have way too many intentional recordings I will probably never get to, so suggestions are a complete waste of time for me.

It's one of the first things I turn off when I get a new TiVo and I'm glad TiVo has option to turn on/off as there are good reasons for some people not to have it enabled.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Ah, yes. True. Doesn't "kill" it, but the deleted shows will fall off faster, so I'll agree that is a benefit of turning off suggestions under some cases.

As for your other item - if the show information is in the guide, it will populate in the proper folder.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, but the point is it will create a whole bunch of new folders to contain former suggestions that you may not have had before, or even worse add shows to existing folders mixed in with intentional recordings. So your top level NPL view even with folders enabled becomes a mess. I don't know why TiVo just doesn't leave them all in 1 suggestions folder as it is when enabled. (I haven't actually enabled suggestions in a long time so don't know if it actually still does that or not, but I am assuming it does).

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I could say the same thing.
    I also believe that not recording Suggestions reduces the work load of the hard drive, therefore it lasts longer.

I do occasionally go to the Suggestions list to rate shows/movies and see if there is anything interesting that I might like to record, but mostly my Season Passes and auto record wishlists get me more TV than I can watch, so I don't need to record Suggestions.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That doesn't really matter since if it's not recording scheduled program or suggestion then it's buffering live TV to your hard drive for both tuners anyway - i.e. Your hard drive is busy all the time regardless. I suppose if you are really OCD you could frequently intentionally tune to channels you don't receive or music channels to reduce the write load...