Turn groups off

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jstaso, Mar 14, 2015.

1. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004

Advertisements

I just got the new update which includes Onepass. Did we lose the ability to turn off groups on the My Shows menu?

My method of watching is to watch scripted shows first and then go to the bottom of the list and watch the oldest of anything else. My disk is 65% full and with groups on I cannot find the oldest show to watch in this long list.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
  3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Several people have complained about this. Although I've asked several times, nobody has satisfactorily explained to me why the oldest shows are the most watchable at any given time. Me, when I see a group with a lot of unwatched shows I start considering whether it's time to delete them and the X-pass that collected them.

At this point I'm thinking that a strong desire to turn off groups is a manifestation of Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior syndrome.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    In fairness, if your TiVo is almost full, then the oldest recordings are in the most danger of deletion. But what I guess some people maybe don't realize is, if your intent is ultimately to watch everything you record, then watching and deleting a newer program is just as effective at postponing the automatic deletion of the older programs, as watching the oldest program.

My OCD tip: If you really want to have the most impact, then choose the largest recording that you have time to watch. I say "largest" rather than "longest" because it's the maximum disk space that you want to reclaim, and that depends on more than just the time. This means, for example, that you'd always choose HD over SD. But remember, in the end, it will still take the same amount of time to watch every recording you have, regardless of the order you do it in.

5. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008

Advertisements

Use the "Going Away Soon" category in the left column menu.