Turn - 4/6/2014 - Pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Eptiger, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Eptiger

Eptiger TiVo N00b

Jan 16, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm kind of surprised that there's not a thread on this. I have this on my TiVo but only just started it. Seems interesting, but I also have a lot of other shows on my TiVo. I was interested to see what others thought of the pilot to decide if I should follow through on it.

Spoilers are fine, it's just the pilot anyway.

Thanks,

Elton

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Not shocking.

Never heard of this nor have I seen any ads for it.

Based on the plot, I'm betting it has limited appeal.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I've seen a lot of previews for it and not one of them made the show interesting to either me or my wife. I say that as someone who has recorded a lot of awful garbage because it looked mildly interesting. I'll be curious to see what people think... maybe I'm wrong. It has been known to happen from time to time.

4. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I liked it. But I tend to really enjoy historical "sort of factual" shows. I will continue to watch for now.

5. Eptiger

Eptiger TiVo N00b

Jan 16, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    You must not watch much AMC then :) I watch Walking Dead and Talking Dead and for several weeks they've been pumping out ads for Turn.

Elton

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We watch Comic Book Men. :)

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they were smart, they'd have bought air time during the last few episodes of Sleepy Hollow.

8. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I looked forward to this like nobody's business, then when it finally came on I found it slow and tedious for it's entire 90 minutes. I meant to try it again when in a different frame of mind but husband watched it and (thinking I already had) deleted it.

I think it had way too much backstory and set up.
    But I will try again.

unitron- it is nothing like Sleepy Hollow. Bits of the story may be similar but if you compare the two, as I likely did, Turn is flat out boring.

And as much as I love Billy Elliot Jamie Bell, he is no Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane.
    Mison's Crane has spoiled me for life.

Sleepy Hollow is a rousing romp through history with fantasy villains and two very charismatic leads.
    Comparing them makes Turn look like a dry lecture on American history.

9. spud

spud I don't know

Mar 17, 2001
    Littleton, CO
    I agree, the pilot was slow. I want to like it. I'm going to try to stick with it for 3-4 episodes.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Before Sleepy Hollow, most of the people who watch it probably didn't know about Culper's Ring. Since it's been mentioned on the show, and since the show does flashbacks to that time, it seems sensible to make people watching it aware of the existence of a show about Culper's Ring.

I doubt anyone will watch it and say "Well, I would have liked it if I'd never watched Sleepy Hollow", so if they get some SH viewers to check it out and some of them stick around, those are eyeballs they might not have gotten otherwise.

Tangentially related, Brad Meltzer has written a couple of books, The Inner Circle and The Fifth Assassin, where the Culper Ring isn't just something that began and ended in Washington's day.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't watch WD or TD (whatever that is), so I totally missed this until my son mentioned he saw an ad for it on one of the other channels and thought it was in my wheelhouse, so I recorded it. I thought it was interesting if a little slow at the beginning, but it picked up second half. I'm also into these historical fiction type shows, as well as the "spy" genre. So it will be interesting to see how spying was done in the late 1700s. I COULD see this getting a bit boring though if the topic doesn't interest you.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought the premiere was slow but interesting. Hopefully the pace will quicken somewhat in the next couple of episodes. I haven't watched the second one yet. AMC should know better than to air a slowly plotted spy show based on the poor ratings of the one they broadcast a couple of years ago that I can't remember the name of.

13. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I loved it, so it is sure to be cancelled.

14. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    I just watched episode 1 and found it very interesting and very good and I'll keep watching. I guess I'm old school, I can enjoy a 'slow' drama building week after week.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Finished the pilot last night. Horribly slow start. Good finish. I will watch some more.

16. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I'm enjoying it. But I grew up in Setauket.

17. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    If you missed this, the pilot is free in iTunes.

Although I'm presuming it'll be repeated on AMC too, sometime.

18. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    I finished the pilot last night and liked it enough to watch the 2nd episode which was ok also. But just ok. For me it's a little too slow moving to be a good show.

19. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Don't be so quick to judge. You have to give it a couple hundred years or so.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yep, watched ep2 and thought it was too slow as well. I felt myself starting to do other things while watching. A sign to me that I probably won't stick with the show. But we'll see. I still like the topic and want to like it.