Turbonet or Cachecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TIVO_YORK99, Feb 22, 2011.

1. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Don't suppose anyone has a turbonet or cachecard going cheap do they?, I'm going to upgrade my parents Tivo ready for when the service finishes.

2. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It seems that those working on a replacement service intend to also provide a dial up option using either an 01, 02 or 03 prefixed phone number (all of which are included in bundled minutes packages from BT and other providers if you have an Anytime calls package).

Some of those involved in the replacement service like Mike of Tivocentral and Dave of Tivoland are talking in terms of you having to replace your current hard drive(s) with one they have prepared to be able to dial the new number but I believe irrelevant is thinking more along the lines of putting the new dialup number in the dialling prefix on the Tivo and emulating the Tivo's servers on the new number. This would not therefore require either a network card or a new hard drive. Also without wishing to sound unduly cynical clearly Mike of Tivocentral and Dave of Tivoheaven are bound to be keener on a complete hard drive replacement option for anyone without a network card as that presents a little business opportunity for them (i.e. buy drives in for £50 and sell them for £85 or whatever).

You may therefore be better to hold fire until you know in what form the new service will be offered or in case Tivo change their mind in the interim in view of all the flack they are currently getting over their proposal to discontinue the UK S1 Tivo service.

3. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    If you need one (reading Pete's post, you may not) you can have the one out of my TiVo (just means going back up to the loft again, which seems to be getting as regular as a S1 message).

Let me know (best to private message me as my time on here is a little limited now).

J.

4. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Apologies for jumping on this thread, but I have a second TiVo arriving shortly which I plan to use as a tester for the new EPG service. It has a lifetime sub :) but no network card. Has anyone bought from 9th Tee recently, I think with the exchange rate this might be the cheapest place to pick up a new CacheCard.

Alternatively, and very cheekily, if anyone has a CacheCard or TurboNet card that they don't require any longer then I'd be most grateful.

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    ^ me too ;)

(even if it's only to borrow and I'll give it back to you in a few months' time).

6. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Thanks for your reply Pete.

I'm aware of the great work over at the land of Tivo, and understand the possibility of still using a phone line.

With my parents it's a bit of a different reason they want one. They currently just use the normal TV aerial to receive their TV in Tivo (they are not very technical at all and therefore Tivo is ideal for them as it is so easy to use, they even use all the Tivo remote shortcuts).

Their area is being switched over to digital only in August so they will need freeview or freesat etc. They've decided on Freesat and at the same time want to move their lounge around so the TV will be in a different corner. They don't have a phone line there so would have to move that as well, so my suggestion was to get them a network card instead - which will also give them the advantage that I will be able to look after the Tivo over the internet incase anything goes wrong.

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    There are also now wireless phone extended sockets that will support modem data but they are not cheap and I doubt a one man band local telephone installer will charge them much more than £35 for a wired extension.

8. blueice888

blueice888 New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    I was getting ready to reply to this post when I realized I was in the UK forum..LOL. I am in Baton Rouge, La. I am about to list my Tivo Series One with a Cache card on Ebay..Although it has been studdering recently so I think I will run a test on the drive before listing.

Anyway...good day from across the pond!!

Oh, also is that why the Cache cards have gone up so much in price, because dial up in not avail in UK anymore?

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No dialup is still currently available to Tivo's servers until June 1st and after that time still will be available on a new number (by entering it in the dialling prefix field) leading to a server operated by UK Tivo enthusiasts given that the bean counters on Tivo's board clearly don't care about the 50% of us in the UK who don't live in a Virgin Cable area so can't get one of the new Virgin HD Tivos:mad: