Turbonet card wanted..

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TDaxGav, Oct 30, 2006.

1. TDaxGav

TDaxGav New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Bramley

Advertisements

I'm after a turbonet card, does anybody have one for sale or know where I can get one in the UK?

Thanks

Gav

2. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
  3. TDaxGav

TDaxGav New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Bramley
    Any idea where TivoLand are based? I'm guessing with my luck they aren't anywhere near Basingstoke.... I'm dieing to try out the tivonet cards, mine has been gathering dust for the past 4 years....

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Or you can buy them a few quid cheaper on Ebay as listed below but with no guarantee at all they have been checked for errrors (Blindlemon maintains that a fixed percentage of Cachecards are Dead on Arrival from the US supplier) and no friendly support on how to install them which certain heavenly bodies are reputed to provide to their own customers ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tivo-CacheCar...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220041966747

5. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK

Advertisements

If you'd ever met me in person you wouldn't be referring to me as a heavenly body, I can assure you :p :D:D

6. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Different people see heavenly bodies as different things. Some see angels some see nothing but thunder clouds. Your choice :D :D

7. Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon

According to google maps Basingstoke is about 115 miles from TivoLand

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    And 80 miles from Basingstoke to TivoHeaven land (Malmesbury, Wiltshire)

There is such a thing as courier delivery, Royal Mail and Parcelforce of course though.

As long as you can manage to open the Tivo box and unscrew the covers and disconnect one or two hard drives then you should be able to do it without visiting these experts in person, even if you want to keep all your programs, thumbs data and season passes. Of course I suppose the Royal Mail might lose your original hard drives on the way there if you were very unlucky...........

Many people who aren't bothered about keeping thumbs data or recordings just get TivoHeaven to send them the new disks to fit though without sending in their old ones.

9. AWT

AWT New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Although I don't have the postcodes to refine this, RAC recon it's 63miles from Basingstoke to Malmesbury. In addition, it would be a fair bit shorter 'cross country'. Still, it's a fair jaunt when you consider how much (or little) an overnight courier delivery costs.

10. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    and you have to factor in getting stuck behind at least 2 tractors as soon as you're within spitting distance of Malmesbury.

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    My mistake - I was foolishly using Google Maps.

www.multimap.com says its only 56 miles for quickest and shortest by way of the A339, M4 and B4042. So might be worth a trip after all if TivoHeaven could do the job on a Saturday or Sunday, perhaps while you went on tour in the picturesque Malmesbury area while the work was being done.

12. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    That's always assuming, of course, that said establishment is open at the weekend :p

Unfortunately, if people want me to do the work for them then I have to charge a hardware installation fee in addition to the price of the upgrade - even if they bring their TiVo in person - as even when you know what you're doing it takes at least 10 minutes to open up a TiVo, blow the dust out and fit a new drive and cachecard etc. :D:D

I guess that's why 99% of my customers are mail-order...

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I can't believe your Labour rate is more than £50 an hour so for somebody in easy range of you (so say £10 for your 10 minutes extra work) and who has a complete phobia about touching the insides of an electrical device it still seems a viable option. What probably isn't cost effective is shipping the whole machine to you and shipping it back rather than bringing it in person as courier rates for private indiviudals seem to be about four times what they charge the Ebuyers of this world for an item of the same weight and size.

As TivoHeaven is I believe a sideline to your day job I naturally assume that doing the job at the weekend might even be a preferred option for you? ;)