1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning adaptor debacale

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pjazz, Nov 27, 2018.

1. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Finally decided to install the tuning adaptors on my 3 DVRs. I live in the Louisville area and Spectrum has started to add SDV channels. To my surprise 2 of the 3 adaptors worked out of the box. The 3rd one just keeps flashing yellow (not synced).

So I call Spectrum Tech support and explain what's going on and the guy on the line is totally oblivious to why the 2 adaptors work out of the box. He tries to assist me with the 3rd one saying he's adding it to my account and sending a signal to it. Never got it to work. I said I'd try and get another one. A few hours later I turn on the TV that worked and there's a message on the screen stating the Adaptors not programmed with any channels. I power cycle the TA and it goes down and never comes back up. Same thing happens to the second one that had worked.

Spectrum has no idea why none of them work now and have scheduled a tech to come out.

Any input appreciated

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Could anyone tell me there experience of an installation of a tuning adaptor? Does it suppose to work right out of the box? (It was actually shrink wrapped)

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I cabled it up and about five minutes later it was working. If it doesn't work after sitting overnight, you'll probably have to get it reset by your cable company; apparently if they sit in the warehouse long enough they get out of synch somehow. If your CableCARD is paired, the only thing you can do is pull the USB plug and power-cycle it. It usually takes about two minutes to restart.

I have become a big fan of buying my own splitter rather than using the one built into the Tuning Adapter. For years everything was relatively fine using the internal splitter with Tuning Adapters that were brand new out of the box, but eventually some of them started to lock almost every day, with the only way to get out being to power-cycle the TA. At the same time, certain frequencies were becoming attenuated to the point of a garbage signal (KTLA channel 5 particularly plus others at similar frequency). After much back and forth with my cable co., I used the classic splitter hookup in front of the TA and to my surprise the TAs stopped locking up altogether (and the channels that were having problems were fixed, which didn't surprise but did delight.) My hypothesis is that the splitter in Motorola TA will go bad after about five years of use, which seems absurd when one considers a splitter is a passive device which really shouldn't deteriorate. But I suppose they could be made poorly with materials that are subject to corrosion over time.

pjazz likes this.
  4. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    So first they said they had no idea how 2 of the 3 were working right out of the box. Then after a power cycle, those two stopped working and the song changed to they have no idea why they AREN'T working.

And we put up with this level of service why? Oh right, monopoly. Thanks, impotent FCC!

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This thread about TA issues in Louisville may be relevant:
    Tuning Adapter required by August 1st but they can't provide one

6. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I'm going to exchange one at the Spectrum office to see if it will work before my scheduled appointment. I hate dealing with cable Technicians who've never worked with cable cards or TAs before.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've never actually had one work out of the box. The main things are that they are added to your account AND enabled. Even if they are on your account, they will blink if they are not enabled on Spectrum's end. I've never gotten a bad TA, only ones that weren't properly set up on Spectrum's end.

Moca can potentially mess up TA's as well. So if you're using Moca, be sure to put a Moca POE filter on the input of each.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    The last one I picked up at the timewarner/spectrum office worked right out of the box.
    She was able to add and authorize it at the point of pickup... no phone call needed after installation.

Do you have a series 3 tivo?

9. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I have a Roamio and 2 premiere XLs. No Moca

Teeps likes this.
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    That's good.

I have to disconnect the t/a from my Series3 TiVo a couple times a week in order for GC (garbage collection) routine to complete. Failing this an S03 error occurs.

11. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Are you using an old USB cable? I initially had some problems with an old cable I stole from an old printer. Ordered a new Amazon Basics cable & it's been fine since.

12. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I am using an older usb cable but the problem is the adaptor won't sync before I plug the usb in.

Update : I picked up 3 new adaptors new in box. Would not sync. Spectrum tech came. The only good thing about it was he was experienced. Stated that there was an area wide issue getting the tuning adaptors to work. He checked signal strength and added an amplifier. They still can't get them to sync. 3 hours at the house and nada. All I could get from him is engineers are working on the problem.

I'm keeping note of when I first called tech support because I don't plan on paying for substandard service.
    I'm thinking it might be time to file a complaint with the FCC If I don't get any progress in the next few days.

I also have been looking at UVerse as an alternative.

13. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Uverse does not work with TiVo.

reds91185 likes this.
  14. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah but if they refuse to fix my issue I just won't use the service any more.

15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Understood, but you will then have 3 tivo door stops... unless one or more tivos' have OTA.

16. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Spectrum finally got there act together. I called today to get an update. They transferred me to a senior engineer and finally got the tuning adaptors sync'd.

Teeps, krkaufman and NorthAlabama like this.