Tuning Adapter still needed, with latest TiVo unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Teeps, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Do any TiVos support SDV without a tuning adapter?

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    no

3. one.person

one.person New Member

May 16, 2008
    Out of curiosity, why is this? I don't know that much about it, but doesn't it consist of the Tivo essentially sending a signal to the cable company to request a channel, and the cable company responding with the appropriate channel? It just doesn't seem all that difficult.

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Thanks slowbisquit, that's not what I wanted to hear. But it is what it is...

Evidently because that's the way it is...
    I was considering a Ceton tuner card for htpc. It has quad tuners, but alas it too needs a tuning adapter.
    That's a deal breaker on a tuner card for htpc.

That's probably how it should work. But, as it is, TiVo tells the tuning adapter what channel it needs. The t/a then pings the head end with the request. The head end SDV (guru) turns the channel on.

This all about packing 12lbs of $#%* in a 10lb bag. The cable cos do not want to invest in more infrastructure. So here we are. But I could be wrong.

5. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't blame Tivo. Blame your cable company. They just dont want to upgrade their head ends so its not required.

In our area (boston), Comcast removed ALL analog channels above channel 19. (so you basically get zip when you connect the wire to a 'cable ready' tv). You HAVE to have a DTA box now (or some converter/cable card from the cable co). BUT as I was told by a technician, this is so they DONT have to roll out SDV here. By removing the old -- bandwidth HOGGING - analog channels they freed up a ton of bandwidth.

SDV is meant for over saturated, un-upgraded cable systems that don't have enough bandwidth to send ALL the channels down the wire at once (even if no one is watching) (SDV requires you to 'request' the channel when you watch it). (remember analog cable takes up 6mhz 'slices' per channel for a total of 181 channels vs Digital Cable is all digital so its not based on radio waves. rather data packets instead.)

For a detailed explanation about how SDV works (and a good diagram).. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video

(once again I'm glad AT&T Broadband/Comcast spent a ton of cash upgrading data centers in here. We're in a < 5 year old all digital head end now (in Lynn or Woburn). Verses the 20+ year old Continental CableVision (the original cable co around here decades ago)

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    ICBW, but you seem to say that with derision... but my PC's internet connection works basically the same way. Maybe yours is different, but my system isn't constantly downloading the entire internet. Why should cable broadcasting be any different? After all, how many HD shows can you watch simultaneously?

I'd like to see better SDV integration, but I have no issue with the concept itself.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    There isn't sufficient bandwidth for your PC to download the entire Internet. However, there is sufficient bandwidth for my Tivo to receive the entire cable stream. As long as that's true, then it makes sense to stick with the simplest mechanism, which is broadcast.

I remember one time long ago when I had a 'Planet Connect' dish, and it *was* most efficient to broadcast the entire usenet every day. Not so far fetched from receiving the entire Internet, what there was of it, back in the day.