Tuning adapter seems paired but no SDV channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mde8965, Dec 19, 2019.

1. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    So I have a Bolt Vox and its my first Tivo. I just got the Cable card and tuning adapter today. Cisco stuff. I called Spectrum and asked for the cable card folks and the lady got the cable card working immediately. She supposedly paired the TA too but the bolt was running setup and I could not test it.
    So after setup was done I realized none of my SDV channels were working. All were giving the V58 error message. And yet the TA Light is solid green. And the Tivo definitely recognizes the TA is attached.
    I have booted the TA, booted the Bolt...3 times now. When I boot the TA after it boots it blinks for about a minute then turns solid green every time.

I called Spectrum again and the guy tried several things but nothing worked. He sent signals to the card and TA and he said they seemed to go through. But it’s not working.
    When I go into tuning adapter diagnostics on my Tivo and try to test channels it says there are no channels.
    So because the card is working and because the TA is recognized by the bolt and the light on the TA is solid green that means the Tivo and TA are paired right.
    So the fact the TA is not authorizing any SDV channels means something is wrong on spectrums end where the tuning adapter is not authorizing anything.
    A tech is supposed to come Friday. But should I call Spectrum again first and see if another cable card tech has the secret sauce?
    If you tell me what screens from Tivo diagnostics would help point to the problem tell me and I’ll post them tomorrow.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yet another Spectrum+TA war story. Been a PITA for over a decade and seems to be getting worse lately -- just search this forum. I lived with a Spectrum (formerly TWC) TA for ten years.

A solid green light means nothing. Many Cisco TA's stop working once month, or once a week, or every day and have to be power-cycled. When this happens the light stays solid green. Note: Restarting with the front button is usually useless -- you have to pull the power for say 30 seconds. Then you need to cycle the USB connection to the TiVo (or restart the TiVo) until TiVo Diagnostics says "Channel List Received: Yes".

In the vast majority of cases the problem is a Spectrum configuration problem at the head end (Spectrum office). Typical pattern is they stew around for days or weeks then finally they figure out what needs to be done and it works (until if quits and has to be power-cycled again. Some users put their TA's on lamp timers to do this.)

3. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Yeah I know this tech visit tomorrow will be a waste. But figure this is part of the process. After that call guessing then I should keep calling and trying to find different CableCARD folks until I find one that knows what to do. Here are some diagnostics. I have every screen if these are not the important ones 2C53D6CB-A2A1-461B-8DB4-49A893729D00.jpeg D513CCCE-293C-45AD-BCEE-278031CA61CE.jpeg BD14B6A5-3791-401C-8865-65A9366B9A99.jpeg B90C6257-A90B-4E80-8654-E99C7C2B5D44.jpeg A8F4FABF-BC03-4643-B6A6-7C063B3F1CA5.jpeg 58218FA4-3D44-4658-8DE4-FCD5585F30BA.jpeg 6FA96C0D-15EE-4773-AEA9-8D0C9120950B.jpeg 433912A2-A6E3-43C9-83CB-F4EC6B970D97.jpeg

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've been having some issues with my Cisco TA. I've had it on a timer for a couple of years and had no issues at all. However, lately it has not been booting up properly after the timer cut and restored power in the middle of the night. I'd wake up and no SVD in the morning. I'd then manually reboot. It would only blink for about 20 seconds before going solid. And, it still didn't work. However, after another few minutes I would get the pop-up saying that the TA was now connected and it was now working. I'm not sure what is going on.

5. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    OK I have gone through the entire troubleshooting manual for my Cisco Tuning adapter...
    The only items that are questionable are:
    QAM signal to noise ratio = 39dB (preferred range for QAM-256 = 32-34dB
    ESE Parameters - 0 EMMs, 0Time GBAMs and 0 App GBAMs (ISE and Received are fine)
    All other parameters/diagnostics are within spec or are Ready/Authorized/Locked/Connected where they should be.

Then while tuned into an SDV station (it tunes in then freezes in 2-3 sec and I get the V58 error (channel not authorized). Anyway the following has me concerned (similar on all SDV stations):
    Signal Strength = 95%
    SNR = 38%
    Current tuning status = tuned:success
    Tune state = in progress
    Last used channel plan = undefined

does any of the above look out of whack? Particularly the signal strength and SNR? My thinking is both the signal strength and SNR are too high possibly...

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The signal strength and SNR are on the high end of normal. Just to rule that out you might want to get an attenuator or two. Search "video attenuator" in Amazon. Not expensive. Suggest 6 dB or 3, 6, and 10 dB if you're not trying to economize.

mde8965 likes this.
  7. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Thank you. What are the signal strength and SN ratio I’m shooting for?

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What you have now may not be a problem. But 90 and 35 would be better. I'm just saying try some attenuation to remove too hot a signal as a possible problem factor.

9. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    The signal is below 100 percent at 95 so you should be ok there. If it is above 100 percent then you don't really know how much above.

But a channel not authorized error sounds more of a cable card provisioning issue. Unfortunately I have spent a lot of time looking at the Motorolla/Arris cableCARD info you can see in the screen when a tuner is at a subscribe or non subscribe channel because it will be S or NS for the Auth: flag. This is in the conditional access menu. I'm not sure the Cisco cards have that information there or not, or what form it is in.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My signal strengths are often at 100 with SNR 40 with zero problems.

11. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    So it did turn out to be the CableCARD. I had a truck roll today and a terrific tech who knew a lot about cableCards tuning adapters and TiVo. I had discovered last night that the cable card did not appear to be authorized. As soon as I showed him that he sent some sort of reset signal to my card and voila!

all of my SDV channels are coming in now without issue.

The lesson for me here was just because you can tune all your channels except the SDVs it’s not necessarily the tuning adapter that is to blame.

Fugacity and kpeters59 like this.