Tuning Adapter - Required?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BillP Studios, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BillP Studios

BillP Studios Creator of WinPatrol

Dec 26, 2002
    Scotia NY
    I've been a happy FiOS customer for about 15 years but I am considering a change since I am moving. The cost has become outrageous not only for the device but they now have a monthly fee for my modem and even the battery back-up.

The only other local choice for me is Spectrum which I assume is a rebranding of Time-Warner. When using Time-Warner they required a special tuning adapter. It had to re-booted every couple of weeks and used switched digital video which was slow. I don't suppose anyone knows if Spectrum requires the same old digital adapter?
    I suspect they aren't going to be happy when I just want support for my three cable cards and no programmable box at all.

Thanks,
    Bill Pytlovany

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I believe most Spectrum-formerly-TWC systems require a TA to get their SDV channels. Mine is one and without the TA you would be missing a lot of the popular channels. It's most likely to be a Cisco STA1520 TA and quite likely to require power-cycling at least once per month, and in some cases much more frequently. Some forum members have theirs on lamp timers to power-cycle in the wee hours every morning. At least they don't charge for the TA -- they should pay you considering the PITA they are!

I'm currently free-trialing YouTube TV and probably will cut my Spectrum Cable TV cord. They play excruciatingly irritating games of raising rates frequently and you waste hours on the phone trying to bargain them down. On the other hand, their internet has been very good and is reasonably priced, at least compared to some others like Comcast. Their support for TA's is atrocious, unless you're lucky enough to find a support person who has a clue (I never have).

3. pppingme

pppingme Member

Apr 21, 2012
    I've got TWC/Spectrum in KCMO, and I can say from experience, they've moved most channels off SDV. Some of the extra movie channels are SDV, and a few obscure channels that most people probably don't even know exist are SDV. There's only one show I watch/record thats on an SDV channel. All the main stuff is available without the box.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Experiences differ between Spectrum systems. In mine, many mainstream channels are SDV.