1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning Adapter required by August 1st but they can't provide one

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RickStrobel, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Jul 6, 2018 #1 of 53
    RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Receive a letter today that I'll have to start using a Tuning Adapter:

Effective on or after August 1, 2018, CableCARD supported devices will lose access to a number of channels.

I called the number. Was told they can't send one out and that I could go pick one up at the local store. I went to the store and was told that they don't carry them and that about 15 people had come in today asking for them. The manager was gone and she had no further information.

I called the number again, ended up being a 45 minute phone call. They still couldn't send me one. No code in the system. It's not in my area. Etc. Offered to have a tech come out, but I needed to transfer to tech support to set that up. Not being confident that that would end well I asked for a supervisor. Currently waiting for a call back.

Tuning adapters are new to me. I know a lot of other markets have had them for a while, and now it's our turn.

Isn't it something you should normally be able to just pick up or have sent to you?

2. Jul 6, 2018 #2 of 53
    TishTash

TishTash Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Yes, and yes.

wish_bgr and mattack like this.
  3. Jul 6, 2018 #3 of 53
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Looks like the same thing just posted in this thread:
    Spectrum is lowering the boom
    But it's hard to tell since neither of you let us know your location.

In general anything related to TA's is hit or miss, including where, how or when you can get one. The cable cos really don't care -- not enough customers use them.

4. Jul 6, 2018 #4 of 53
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY (sorry, it used to be in my profile)

A while back we were Insight Communications, then Time Warner Cable. Now it's Spectrum.

A supervisor called back. Apparently the issue is that they can't order it for me because I've got an older TWC package / bundle. They want me to switch to one of the new packages. Once that is done they can send out the adapter. Waiting for another callback. My Internet is currently 200/20 and the new bundle is 200/10, she's checking on that. At the same time we're reviewing the channel packages.

5. Jul 6, 2018 #5 of 53
    Savafan1

Savafan1 Active Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Ohio
    I was formally Insight also and got the same letter. The rep told me it should be available to order soon, and you should be able to order it from their website.

6. Jul 6, 2018 #6 of 53
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    I don't need to do anything.

Another callback from the supervisor. She looked into it and it's a follow up to the digital transition they made last year. At that time you could still have a boxless setup. Plug the coax right into a cable ready TV and tune channels like 3-1 for WAVE 3 channel 3 in Louisville, etc. - same numbering as you'd get over the air plus a few extras. Then they did away with that and EVERYONE had to get a digital box for every TV (many unhappy people around here).

She thinks it's a mistake that the letters were sent out and that I don't need to do anything. She will continue to look into it, but assured me that I don't need to change anything or do anything.

7. Jul 6, 2018 #7 of 53
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    if it's anything like what Cox is doing the tuning adapters will handle the channel map and not the tivo

8. Jul 7, 2018 #8 of 53
    a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I live in the Louisville KY area and got the same letter about needing to get a tuning adapter by August 1st. The number to call on the letter was the standard Spectrum main line. I got transferred to cableCard service quickly, but got a similar answer: "We can't mail out the adapter. You will need to visit the local office to get one." The representative was nice and added a note to my account explaining what I need and the model number. I plan on making a visit to a Spectrum office this week to see what they say. Wonder if the story will be the same as RickStrobel's.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2018 #9 of 53
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Spectrum expanding SDV to (apparently) all markets is making me concerned that they don't plan to move to MPEG4 compression, at least not anytime soon.

10. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

more than likely they will still use sdv even when using mpeg 4 cox is and they are all digital and mpeg4 and sdv

11. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I understand that they probably would still use it, but they would be able to use less SDV if they went to MPEG4. With MPEG4, they could pretty much have every channel that 95% of people would ever care to watch as a traditional linear channel.

12. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

your also forgetting phone and internet run over same cable

13. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not forgetting anything. Phone takes almost no bandwidth and there will still be plenty of bandwidth for internet.

14. cyoung

cyoung New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Did we find out the final answer this one? Seem to be conflicting views on this thread. I've got 2 Tivo boxes with CableCards in the Lexington, KY Spectrum market. Wondering what I need to do?

If I have to go down the tuning adaptor route, will it change the video quality or reduce Tivo features (such as guide)?

Thanks for you help!

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Depends on what Lexington Spectrum is doing. Have you received a letter or other info suggesting a change?

The TA has no relationship to video quality or TiVo features. It only affects your ability to tune some channels if your system is using SDV.

16. cyoung

cyoung New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    OK. Thanks.

I did receive the letter but before I went down the path of going to my local Spectrum office and dealing with the nitwits in residence, I wanted to make sure I understood what was going on.

17. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If/when they move some channels to SDV, what will happen is when you try to view those channels you'll get a pop-up message that says something like "This channel is not currently available. Contact your cable provider."

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    A big question is which channels will become SDV. In some regions it's mostly SD channels plus maybe a few less popular HD channels and some people say they are happy to do without the TA (which is only needed to get the SDV channels). In my region many HD popular channels are SDV so a TA is needed.

You may find it hard to find out which channels are, or will be, SDV. Usually this info is not made readily available, since only the few people who use TA's care about it. I would be inclined to just wait and see if any channels you really care about become unavailable after the switch. Then ask for the TA (normally at no charge) if necessary. A self-install is easy for a TA so don't have a service call unless it's free -- even then it might be better to do it yourself rather than deal with a tech who probably doesn't know much about them.

19. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Just stopped by the Hubbards Lane store and talked to the manager. CableCARD users in Louisville will need Tuning Adapters come August 1st, for some but not all channels. She still doesn't know when they will get them. Asked to check back in a week. She agreed and there was some kind of mix up within the bureaucracy.

20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    My suggestion is to get your Tuning Adapter as soon as you can; if it's not available now, get on a waiting list. Currently cable companies are not allowed to charge for them; if you wait and find you need one you might be impacted by a local shortage, and it's way better to get a newly manufactured one than one that has already been used, because those are likely to have been returned due to a problem.