1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning adapter reboot weirdness

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Buster, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Hi all. My S3 and tuning adapter have stopped playing nicely, and I'm not sure what's going on. The issue starts with the picture getting choppy. Then my tuning adapter light starts flashing, and a few minutes later, my TiVo reboots.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Charter of course says my TA is fine and it must be my TiVo. They might be right, but it seems weird that the whole cycle gets kicked off with the TA starting to flash.

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should have the S3 power supply checked as its aged and common for capacitors to fail, which would count for various issues.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Cisco/Scientific Atlanta TA lights display 6-blinks-pause if the USB cable connection to the TiVo is disconnected. Or perhaps if the TA thinks it's disconnected, e.g., the TiVo USB interface is acting up. I think your issue is more likely to be the TA or the cable signals between TA and cable system, however.

Do you have a splitter or do you let the cable signal to the TiVo go through the TA? Easier to explain the video breakup if it's the latter -- i.e., the TA is degrading the video signal as it goes through.

4. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks. There's no splitter - the signal goes straight from the TA to the TiVo. I've had this setup forever, but I did notice when I got my Bolt last year that the instructions had changed and a splitter was now involved. Do you think I should swap things around?

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Thought occurs to me that your problems could come from intermittent drooping of cable signal strength. Next time you see this starting to happen, quickly go into DVR diagnostics and observe the Signal Strength and SNR values, preferably for the channel you are watching. The strengths should be around 90 and SNR should be 34 dB or higher. And they should not be fluctuating very much. If drooping is happening you could suspect the Tivo tuner circuits BUT that would not explain the effect on your TA -- so that would mean the problem is either the TA or the cable signals. The cable signals could fluctuate due to a poor connection anywhere between your wall drop and the tap at the street. The cable tech could see this with their equipment (at your location) but if it's intermittent they have to be measuring when it happens, of course.