Tuning adapter problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by redspecial, Jun 19, 2017.

1. redspecial

redspecial New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    After a few years with zero issues I started having problems about six week ago with my tuning adapter. Sometimes the SDV channels would not always work, then they all stopped working. The tuning adapter diagnosis looked fine. So I unplugged the TA and replugged in and restarted Tivo. After that my Tivo stated that there was no tuning adapter connected.

Today I went to Charter and got a different TA (but kept the same working cable card) My tivo did alert that the tuning adapter was connected but I still couldn't get the SDV channels. Then there was an error stating that the certificates did not match and to call my cable company regarding getting the firmware updated. I called Charter and they sent a signal and my tivo immediately said there was no tuning adapter connected. Charter rep really didn't know what he was doing so he scheduled a tech appointment for next week. Sometimes it says the TA is not connected, other times it says the error about firmware.

Does anyone have any suggestions so I try and troubleshoot before the Charter tech comes to my house? I have a 3 year old Roamio Plus, moca hookup, Motorola Tuning adapter. I was one of the people affected by the Motorola TA update firmware fiasco when I first bought my tivo but after the updated firmware was released I never had a problem.

2. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Have you gotten a new cable card also? Have you tried the second USB port?

You may want to visit dsl reports and post your question in the customer support forum there for your cable co. The folks who monitor it there for Charter should be able to validate the setup in their system. They helped me with initial setup for Brighthouse.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My guess is that Charter has screwed something up on their end. And don't roll over and allow them to take a week to get to your house. That's ridiculous.

What is the TA brand, Cisco or Motorola? I'm guessing Motorola if you went years with no issue. What is the software version? Maybe someone can chime in on the latest software version.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    A Moto TA will have a solid amber light when enabled and connected, and no red light. Mine says version 1.40, Sep 10 2014, Downstream status says Yes for Carrier lock and Data, SNR good, Hunt Mode None.

Charter has disabled my TA out of the blue a couple of times. So call and make sure a TA is still on your account and enabled on their end (flashing amber if not). POE filter should also be on the line to the TA.

I don't know anything about Cisco adapters.

5. JARON46

JARON46 Member

Jun 8, 2011
    My TA acts up occasionally, I am with TW now Spectrum, there is not much you can do but wait for it to start working. When I first got Tivo and a TA I waited a month for it to start working, I called every week and finally the green light came on.

I don't think Tuning Adapters are a priority with cable companies.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The OP stated in the first post he has a Motorola tuning adapter and is not on Spectrum cable.

For those on Spectrum, you cannot say "there is not much you can do but wait" until you have tried their national CableCARD (and TA) help desk at 1-866-532-2598.

LOL. That could be the understatement of the year!

CopRock, DawnW and Bigg like this.
  7. JARON46

JARON46 Member

Jun 8, 2011
    That is the number I called every week for a month. They said they knew there is a problem and are working on it.

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That may work for former TWC markets, but legacy Charter Spectrum markets have no cable card help desk number, never have.

Regardless, something is definitely wrong and it's going to take a phone call, at least, to fix. I agree that waiting it out is not a solution. Typically, my TA issues get fixed within about 10 minutes once I find the right person and kind of hold their hand, i.e., "could you check if my TA is enabled on my account", "can you send another hit", etc.

UCLABB likes this.
  9. redspecial

redspecial New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, yes it is Motorola, I believe it was version 1.40 but I can't get tivo to go into the TA diagnosis. I have a POE installed where the cable enters my home. So I should get another one right before the coaxial goes into the TA?

My last tuning adapter constantly blinked amber for years and I still got all the channel I was suppose to. Charter would have came sooner but my work schedule prevented it. I am just trying to see if there is anything I can do on my end in case the tech doesn't know what to do. I just want it to go smoothly, would hate to waste a few hours and "its your tivo not us, we can hook up a charter DVR for another $15 a month" game.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    A second POE helps if you use Moca. Not needed if you don't use Moca.

Your last TA never actually worked if it blinked constantly. You just got lucky in that none of the channels you watch were on SDV. In my market, only a few premiums and Spanish channels are on SDV. So I could live without a TA as well.

My money is still on it being "disabled", especially since you replaced it with a different one. They probably removed the old one from your account and never added back or re-enabled the new one..

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You just have to hope the tech knows who to call for help. Probably a good chance he knows someone at the head end because that's where your problem needs to be fixed. In the mean time you can play csr roulette on the chance you can get someone to help. Odds are low though because csrs probably have no way to talk to your specific headend.

12. redspecial

redspecial New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Update: After a lot of troubleshooting and phone call to various people, it seems like their is an unknown problem on Charter's end affecting Tuning adapters in my local area. Apparently a Charter tech took his working tivo and tuning adapter to a customers house with the same problem as me and could not get the TA working, says it needs a firmware update--but there is no new firmware to provide. I am suppose to get a call in the coming week from a supervisor to learn more. Thanks for the help but I am stuck for the time being.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I still think Charter is clueless on this issue. The exercise of taking a working TA and plugging it in elsewhere is pointless because that TA is not enabled on any other account. There hasn't been a firmware update for their TAs for years, and there isn't a new one now. They simply don't know how to activate it on their end. Sadly, there isn't much else you can do but keep trying over the phone until you get a tech that knows what a TA is.

I've done at least a dozen self installs of cards and TAs over the years, far more than any Charter tech I've ever met or spoken with. Of all the Charter techs that have worked on my system, literally none of them had ever done a cable card / TA install before.

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've always wondered whether TAs are paired like cable cards. My hunch is that they are simply enabled and once they are, will work anywhere. I could very well be wrong though.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Don't know if that may be true for Motorola TA's, but it's definitely not that simple for Cisco TA's, which must be pushed a subscription refresh signal from the head end about once per month. If the subscription expires, the TA goes inop and the light repeats 8-blinks-pause. The date the subscription ends can be found in TA diagnostics, as Sub Expires in the Powerkey Info section.

It's beyond me why TA's were designed to require a subscription. They are totally useless unless used in conjunction with a CableCARD, which requires pairing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I can't remember the last time my Cisco TAs went to blink. However, they regularly stop working even though the light is solid. I try to remember to routinely reboot them, but often forget and then they crap out at an inopportune time. Hence I just ordered a couple of timers today.

In any event, even though they require a "subscription", doesn't mean that they need to be tied to a specific account or be paired, they may simply be activated by the subscription and can be used anywhere.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Once mine started blinking when it had been removed from my account. Another time it was blinking simply because it was disabled. I agree there is no strict pairing to a single host device like a card. But I'm doubtful you could use a working one on another customer's account if that account wasn't set up for it.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, I believe the subscription refresh signals are only pushed if the TA is provisioned on your account. So maybe you could use a subscribed TA with a different TiVo and CableCARD for up to a month before the subscription expired and was not refreshed -- not a long term benefit, however.

Again, I'm talking only about Cisco TA's -- don't know about Motorola behavior.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    He said he took his working TiVo and TA. I don't know about Charter but at least for Comcast in our town, the CableCard activation is by device on their "network" (ie off the headend here) and not by physical address.

Scott

20. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    I think they are and I'll tell you why. I have a long running feud with Cox because I had taken two of my older TIVO's off Cox and I'm just using them for storage and OTA. They have been still billing me for the cards I had turned in. In April, they were supposed to have fixed this, but the ordered never flowed properly and I'm still getting billed for them. I took the cable card info and TA info to the store and they gave me $41 credit. But the clerk who pushed the order thru mentioned that one of the TA's I had turned in was still working on my Roamio pro. Sure enough when, when I got home and checked my Roamio pro was down. I had to call the Cable Card desk and get the TA re-paired to that Cable Card.