Tuning Adapter on top of Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Lrscpa, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 19
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Since the Premiere is much thinner (top to bottom) than the Series3 HD, I have room in my rack to place the tuning adapter directly on top of the Premiere.

Bad idea (potential heat/vibration issues)??

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 19
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't think it matters. Mine has always been on top of my Premiere. But I do have several inches of air space above the the Premiere.

3. Feb 4, 2012 #3 of 19
    Carfan

Carfan Member

Aug 9, 2003
    New Hampshire
    My TA (Cisco) has been atop my TiVo since I got it, never a heat related issue. I say go for it!

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 19
    yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    X2

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 19
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have the vertical room, get some stick on plastic/rubber feet (check your local Big Lots) and get both the Premiere and the other box a little higher in the air for better airflow.

6. Feb 6, 2012 #6 of 19
    flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    i have had my receiver setting on top of my premier for over a year now. Doesn't this thing pull all of its air from under neither the unit?

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 19
    pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I've had a TA on top of my S3 in a mostly-enclosed cabinet since the beta. Seems to work fine.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 19
    brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I've installed cooling ducts into all of my media cabinets to ensure good flow rates but before that my TA sat on top of both my TiVoHD & TiVo Premiere with drive extenders next to them and other junk.

I highly recommend a kit like this, it's absolutely silent to me and provides solid airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K4BE6E/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 19
    pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Nice... I rigged up something with a spare computer case fan (with grills to keep cat paws and cables from getting in the works) and a cheap wall wart plugged into the switched AC outlet on my home theater amp.
    TiVo already has a fan so I just ducted it to a hole in the back of the cabinet with some extra brake ducting I had lying around. Dryer duct would work, too, but I figured 3" duct would loose less air velocity than the bigger duct.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    One should never install a TiVo, or computer, or other heat-producer in a closed cabinet without forced air ventilation. Otherwise heat will accumulate and have nowhere to go.

But if one is going to do that, it really makes sense to make sure the fan blows air *in* and install some type of air filter on the outside intake of the fan. Else, it will get really dusty in there, surprisingly fast.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    my TA's been restin aatop the Eite nearly a year now course itdn't hurt to have a small fan located just behind the Tivo to move any trapped air in the area

12. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    What I do with mine is the typical outward blowing direction of the fan to vent heat out of the boxed area and then I make extra inlets someplace opposite the fan location and then cover them with filter material. Otherwise blowing air into a hot area just kind of makes it a convection oven, even with out vents it is still not as efficient as forcing the hot rising air out. :D

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    But sucking out out of a pseudo-enclosed space guarantees that dust-laden air will be sucked in through every hole, crack, slit, and crevice, even if you have a filtered, passive, air inlet. And it gets worse and worse as the filter gets clogged.

I prefer to blow filtered air in, which always causes a positive pressure, insuring all the dust will stay out. Then have some plain holes on the opposite side where most of the air can escape.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the S4s are the same as the previous 3 platforms, there are holes on the bottom where air enters to replace the air that is being exhausted out the back by the fan, therefore sucking air out from under it with another fan might tend to starve it of cooling air and make the internal fan work harder.

Best thing is as much empty space under it as possible with cooler air being blown into that space.

15. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    how about a laptop cooler under the thing blowing up at it. was thinking about getting one at 5below the next time im there.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you can find a laptop cooler designed and intended to run 24/7/52, year after year, then perhaps so, but it don't think those are available.

17. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd first ask: Is this really an issue?

With the early TiVos I remember people replacing fans and raising them a bit to keep them cool. My Elite looks like it's high enough up on it's regular feet to keep it cool. It'll blow air out the back.

Yes, I think you need to be concerned if you keep all of your entertainment electronics in a cabinet but outside of that, I really don't think you need to do wonky things to it any longer.

Once a year it's probably worth it to crack it open and clean the dust out.

18. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    I tried one of those a long time ago and it did not last too long.

19. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Well when I can get them at 5 bucks, there quit and I I can normally get them to last a year at least! I'm going to shove one under my TiVo. And yes my TiVo never runs hot but I do set my receiver right over it so it will make me feel better having one under there.