Tuning adapter not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dokcor, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Dokcor

Dokcor New Member

Oct 22, 2019

Advertisements

I just got a new TiVo Bolt Vox and picked up a Cable Card / TA from Spectrum. After over an hour on the phone with Spectrum and a lot of trial and error, I finally got the card working and activated, but I haven’t had any luck with the TA. It’s a Motorola TA and it just has a flashing yellow light on it (which I guess should be solid). The TiVo doesn’t even recognize that it’s plugged in to the USB port, it just says “No Tuning Adapter” in the settings. Spectrum support has, unsurprisingly, been less than helpful. Does it sound like an issue with the TA, the TiVo, or something on Spectrum’s end?

2. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    If not already doing so use the top USB port.

3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    The bolt will not see the Tuning adapter until the light stops flashing.

sharkster likes this.
  4. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    How is the cable coax connected to the TA?

It is best to use a splitter and connect the TA and the Bolt to separate connections on the splitter.,,,, Rather than daisy chaining the cable through the TA.

The only direct connection between the TA and Bolt will be the usb cord.

A flashing light may indicate the TA is attempting to download an update.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

99% probability it's "something on Spectrum's end".

Post your location. Spectrum's ineptitude, and ways to deal with it, vary with location. Another forum member located in your system may provide useful info.

Don't let it ride. Keep pestering Spectrum -- it's their responsibility. They will respond with useless truck rolls, but that's what they do, and once you've had that done you can ask for credit for service not provided.

6. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    They tech support is hit and miss. If the person you get cannot get it fixed in 15 minutes ask to be transferred to somebody else or hang up and call back. I had a problem with a cablecard and over about a week and 5-6 calls at an hour+ each, I called back and asked for a specific person that was supposed to be able to escalate it, and the person that answered the call took a a look at my configuration while waiting for the person to get off the phone said "I see the problem" and within minutes the problem was fixed.

7. Dokcor

Dokcor New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    I've tried both, and two different cables in case one was bad.

Good to know. I didn't know if the TiVo should immediately recognize a TA even if it's not working properly.

Daisy chained but I can try a splitter. Thanks.

St. Louis.

So if the phone support is useless, and truck rolls are useless, how do I ever get this thing working?

Thanks. I'll try calling again when I get home from work. I was exhausted from dealing with them for over an hour to get the CC activated and didn't want to keep playing CSR roulette to get the TA working.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How do you get this thing working?

As I said, keep pestering Spectrum. You can also complain to the FCC. Some folks say they got useful responses that way. YMMV. There are some real war stories about Tuning Adapters and Spectrum. Search the forum but be advised most Spectrum systems use Cisco TA's so some experiences with those may not apply to your Motorola TA. Again (as I already said) after you've had a truck roll but with no fix, you have grounds to apply for a credit for loss of service. Personally I think the loss of revenue carries more weight than most other things you can do to motivate them.

9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Did the new Edge fix for the tuning adapter kill the Bolt tuning adapter?

10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    For the folks having trouble with cc and TA's (non-EDGE), you can keep pestering them for weeks and weeks, or you can file an FCC complaint and someone higher up the food chain will get in touch with you, normally within 2 days, and get the issue into the hands of one of the few folks on their payroll who knows how to get these things working. Most folks who actually file an FCC complaint get results within a week.
    Submit a request – FCC Complaints

11. JKR123

JKR123 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I am currently experiencing the exact same issue you are with Spectrum, a Motorola TA and a Bolt Vox. I have other TiVo units with TAs so I swapped the TA out with one I already had and it worked (using a direct connection - no splitter) so I figured it wasn’t an issue with my Bolt. As far as I know, Spectrum had the new TA set up properly on my account. This the first time I have ever had an issue with installing a new TA. I am, however, having great difficulty getting a replacement TA from Spectrum. The local store is out of stock and they refuse to ship one to me, so my only option is paying for a service call. I sure hope you have better luck with yours than I have had.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    As far as you know, Spectrum had the new TA set up properly??? How could you know that? Spectrum frequently doesn't even know that.

You shouldn't have to pay for a service call. Have they actually told you that? It's their responsibility to get the TA working properly.

Also please post your location, for reasons stated earlier.

13. JKR123

JKR123 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I am in upstate SC. You are correct, as I seem to recall they originally told me the unit was not provisioned/authorized properly to my account, so it may still be wrong. Did I understand someone to say that TiVo will only recognize the TA if Spectrum did their part correctly? I just assumed if TiVo did not even recognize a tuning adapter present that the unit was bad. How long should I wait to allow the non-stop blinking to continue, in the hopes the box is actively communicating with Spectrum to become properly provisioned? I probably didn’t give it enough time.

As far as the service call fee, they said something about depending on the outcome, I might be able to get the fee waived. To be honest, I would rather live without the handful of missing channels on this spare room tv than to have to deal with one of their “technicians “ trying to hook this up for me. (I will explain the quotes.) Someone in the Sales dept originally had this set up as a truck roll to only drop off a cable card and TA for a self-install. They were waving the service call fee since they were not able to mail the equipment to me. (I own more than 4 pieces of Spectrum equipment so the system won’t allow them to ship anything to me. Their rationale is that I may need an amplifier to boost my signal. They should be able to see on my account that I already have one.) When the “technician” showed up, he thought he was only here to swap out a Spectrum box (that I use for on-demand stuff and did request) but he knew nothing about my cable card and TA request. (I later found out you can’t put an equipment swap along with a new equipment request in the same ticket #. But they can link the 2 together.) I explained to the “technician” the main reason he was here was to drop off a CC and TA. He was very adamant and said even if he had these with him, he couldn’t just drop them off for a self-install. I explained to him I was still waiting for my TiVo to be delivered so he didn’t have the ability to hook anything up yet. I was getting all of the extra components in advance to be ready to hook it all up myself when my TiVo arrived. I then got customer service on the phone to try to find out why Sales told me one thing and he was saying something else. He heard me say the “driver” is here and he flipped out and said I am a “technician”. Customer service asked me to have him check through his dispatch if the local store had what I needed in stock, but he said he had no way of finding that out. Long story shortened, he leaves, I go to the local store (after finding out they moved across town), I pick up a TA but no CCs are in stock. I made a couple other calls and finally got higher level management to override the shipping issue to get a CC shipped to me. I get everything hooked up, get the “no tuning adapter message”, go back to the store to swap it out, only to find out I obviously took their last TA. Now, I am unable to get a manager at Spectrum to override the equipment limitation issue in order to ship another one to me. (I secretly think the “technician” sabatoged my account because I offended him as he seemed to be really ticked off at me for referring to him as a “driver”.) - ha ha

Sorry for the long story - I know many of us have similar ones.

I am now thinking that maybe my TA just didn’t get correctly provisioned yet based on feedback on this thread. I probably just didn’t give it enough time to update. I will try hooking it up again this weekend. I thank everyone who provides information to people like me on this forum.

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Improper provisioning is by far the most likely problem. TiVo not recognizing the TA is not a simple signal the TA is defective. You should not have to pay for a truck roll for this, and once you've had a truck roll you should be entitled to credit for lack of service. Perhaps it's time to try a complaint to the FCC as suggested earlier in this thread. It's the unfortunate case that for some 12 years now your odds of contacting someone who knows TA issues are very low, either at TiVo or a cable co., especially Spectrum.

15. Dokcor

Dokcor New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Update - swapped out the TA, and upon plugging it in, the TiVo immediately recognized that a TA was connected and let me get to the diagnostic menu (which was more than I got with the last TA), but I still had the flashing yellow light.

Called Charter, she did a few things, and nothing seemed to work, so she set up a truck roll for next Friday (earliest I could do). Literally the second I hung up the phone, the light turned solid yellow, and I can now tune channels I couldn’t before. I guess we just didn’t wait long enough. I’ll keep the tech appointment for now, because I don’t have much faith that this will continue working, and cancel it Thursday if things are still working by then.

So obviously the previous TA was defective if it wasn’t even communicating over USB. But I’ll bet any amount of money that they’re just going to shrink wrap it and give it out again to the next poor soul who needs a TA.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Still doubting that TA was defective. Not saying it's impossible but an explanation relating to provisioning is still likely. Each TA has some kind of identifier (e.g., a MAC number) used by the cable system, and that ID has to be properly registered somewhere (a script or database or something) in order to be authorized. An authorization signal has to be sent out periodically, and the TA will brick itself if it doesn't receive it. Not sure if it's the same for Motorola TA's but for Cisco TA's the exact date/time to the second when authorization will expire can be found in the TA diagnostics menu system.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, that's the unfortunate part. I've done ok with the TAs I have, but had a couple of CableCARD debaucles early on. Charter won't just let you pick one up. You have to have a service call so I asked that they put on the thing to bring more than one. He came right back the next morning and was able to get the other Tivo going with a new (or "new" - who knows!) CC.

When I replaced one of my Premieres with my first Bolt (both have since been replaced) I had to call them to re-pair the CC and they had no clue by then. Fortunately, I was able to dink around with it until it paired to the new box. whew!

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's something to check. In the cable card Conditional Access display, where you check for the VAL: V, there's a number that follows. That number is a count of the number of times that card has been paired.
    ccCA.JPG

sharkster likes this.
  19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That's good to know. Thank You!