Tuning Adapter Loses Some SDV Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iconoclast, Sep 27, 2016.

1. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014

Advertisements

Been losing many SDV channels but NOT all. Reset T.A. fixes but for hours to days.

Cox (in Phoenix) said I have low signal & they sent tech out & after 2 visits, got amplifier which fixed low signal. Did NOT fix the T.A. Channel loss issue!

I went to a Cox Solutions Store & replaced my T.A. & All 75 Ohm Coax cables, USB cable & splitter 9-12-2016 & later replaced the POE filter 9-24-2016. (They had forgotten to give me a new filter 1st visit) No help.
    9-24-16 I lost:

But, still had:

All above listed channels are SDV channels which will not work at all w/o T.A.

I don’t want to restart T.A. every day!

Note: I did NOT change out the power supply for the T.A. It is a pain to route the thin wire. Maybe I should do this? Does it make sense that the power supply can be responsible for loss of some SDV channels but not other SDV channels?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    How about replacing the TA and power supply? If that is not an option, some have resorted to plugging their TA's into one of those cheap timers and having it go off and on at 3-4AM or whenever.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Bad power supply can cause problems. Symptoms probably vary with the nature of the power defect and even the manufacturer probably could not predict them. If changing out the power supply is difficult, you could check the voltage with a voltmeter (multimeter) versus what is listed on the power supply case. However this isn't totally reliable because there could still be ripple (AC component) not seen by the meter, and the voltage really should be checked under load.

Better to sub in a different supply with an extension cord or whatever you need to avoid accessing the cord.

If you are usually good for 24 hours after power-cycling the TA, the timer idea might be a practical solution. As stated there are a number of people doing this. The TA is a good idea that's had a bad implementation and poor support by both cable operators and TiVo.

4. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I CAN replace the power supply, it is just a PIA. I was thinking that my symptoms may point to something other than a power supply issue.
    I don’t understand how a power supply issue would lead to loss of some SDV channels but not others. I suppose I better change it out out to eliminate this as a possible cause.

I’ve heard of the timer idea to reset the T.A. daily but, I thought resetting was more involved. This is what I have been doing which is not possible with a timer:

Tuning Adapter Reset:
    1. Unplug the USB of the TA to the TiVo
    2. Unplug the AC to the TA (not the TiVo)
    3. Wait three minutes
    4. Plug in the Power to the TA BUT NOT the USB
    5. Wait three minutes. The TA should on it's own acquire its IP address (changes in the rate of flashing of the green led from slow to fast).
    6. Plug in the USB to the TA from the TiVo

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Advertisements

I have 2 tivos on tuning adapters (timewarner) one gets turned off for 10 minutes once a week for a similar problem you are seeing.
    The other, serves a S3 648250, goes off for 4 hours nightly so garbage collection can complete.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You don't have to wait three minutes, a few seconds is fine; you don't have to pull the usb.

7. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Garbage Collection?
    S3 648250?

The last Cox tech told me I don't have to wait 3 min, he said 1 min is enough. So I tried it & after reconnected, took 15-20 min b4 T.A. was recognized & I had any SDV channels. So the 3 min method I detailed (that I learned on this forum) seems to result in quicker restoration of T.A. channels.

I just replaced the T.A.power supply (2 pieces) Now the wait & see if still lose channels in a week or 2. Last time worked for 12 days b4 loss of some channels.
    If issue reoccurs & I expect it will. I will try the timer idea.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Powering the TA off for just 10 seconds or so works for me **but** this could be different for different cable systems. Maybe they have to notice it's off line and maybe the off-time required for that varies. (?)