Tuning Adapter dialogue

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jets, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Everyone who uses one knows the tuning adapter is a PIA. What I don;t get is, why must it force a full screen dialogue everytime the tuning adapter is detected or momentarily thinks its missing? When this happens, recording stops. Yet, the recordings are on channels that dont need the TA anyway!
    Unless you are watching TA channels, the message should not pop up and disrupt your recordings.
    Is there a way to disable this?

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree. I submitted this as a suggestion. Don't need a show stopping, bring-the-tivo-to-its-knees message that it's detected a Tuning Adapter. Or, at least it should only do it the first time it's detected one (or better yet, save the serial number of the TA so that if the same TA is reconnected, you don't notify me)

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I wouldn't say *everyone* using TA has problems. It sounds like perhaps the Cisco TAs are more problematic than Motorola TAs and then again only in selected markets. My 3 Motorola TAs have been virtually trouble free for years now and don't get any TA related popups. I am aware of the many posts with people having issues so I know there are problems, but the problems do not affect everyone.

4. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The TA popups also happen if you have a power outage, they reboot, whatever. It just doesn't make sense and causes small problems to mushroom into big problems.

5. Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Just because some(most?) users don't have problems with the adapter, doesn't mean that the behavior should not be corrected. It seems silly to have a message pop up that a tuning adapter is present, and then to be required to manually acknowledge it in order to resume the video feed.
    In essence, for those of us that experience the tuning adapter reconnects, the dialogue pop-up is actually worse than the momentary reset of the adapter.
    The worst part is when it cancels your recording..

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I totally agree with that. The part I didn't agree with is *everyone* who uses a TA knows they are PIA.

7. DrewG5

DrewG5 New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I resolved my TA disconnected issues by placing it on the UPS with the TiVo & TV. Almost forgot how annoying that popup is due to a momentary power glitch.

8. johnner1999

johnner1999 Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    yeah - why can't the tiro keep recording non ta channels, till you accept the change....

9. Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Nailed by this tonight. While recording Walking Dead and Shameless. 2 non ta channels, stopped recording for a "tuning adapter is connected" dialogue box. I had hoped the software update solved this for me, but I guess not..

10. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I found that by working with cableco, the signal to the TA was low ( -12dBmV to -16dBmV) and even lower when it got to the TiVo. So cableco replaced 10 yr old cable (from street to house and from house to TiVo, had the cableco install an amplifier just after the main split for all three TV lines. Coming to the TiVo, atwhich point I split the cable - one to the TiVO, other to the TA (and I don't use the Cable Out om the TA). Signal now runs from 5dBmV to -2dBmV, and TA reboots are minimal.

11. Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Minimal? So it still malfunctions?

12. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Had no isues with my Tivo until the TA was forced into the mix two yrs ago, since it's been one problem after another...

Now the cable card can't/won't stay pair to the Tivo an channels disappear daily, which another call to BH required to have the card replaced an re-paired..

Think this is a ploy of the cable companies to force their crap DVR's upon us...