1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning Adapter - Cisco -Strange Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by abredt, Dec 3, 2018.

1. abredt

abredt West Valley TW L.A.

Nov 4, 2004
    My TiVo 4 kept losing its connection with the tuning adapter and I had to unplug the TA power to reset it.

I had a Spectrum tech here for another reason, so he also installed a new Cisco STA1520 tuning adapter. Could not get any channels. After an hour spent on the phone with Spectrum tech support
    they told him to split Cable In and hook up one line RF line to the TiVo box and the other to the tuning adapter. They said it would communicate via the USB cable.

It worked but neither of us knows why.
    Do you?

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I had the same problem with Motorola Tuning Adapters, with the same solution.

My theory is that the splitter in the TA, according to popular wisdom never very good to start with, deteriorates over time. My TAs were new in the box when I got them, and worked with no problem. However, after some years of use some of them started to fail, one almost daily, and had to be power-cycled to recover. I also started to have signal problems with certain frequencies, seen as weak signal and poor SNR on the TiVo diagnostic screen and failing picture on the TV screen. After a couple of fruitless visits from Spectrum to repair the circuits running into my house, I tried replacing the TA splitter with my splitter. (They actually did find significant problems; squirrels were chewing on the outside cables and a splitter under the how was seriously damaged by galvanic corrosion, but repairing the cables did not fix my signal issues.)

As a result of bypassing the TA splitter, my signal problems went away and my TAs stopped locking up. Based on this experience my conclusion is that the TA internal splitters go bad over time, and that a weak signal from the splitter was causing the TAs to lock. I was reluctant to believe this was the problem, because a splitter is a simple device with no moving parts, but I guess it is possible they are subject to corrosion or some other deterioration.