Tuners vs OD fail

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by fysmd, Feb 24, 2011.

1. fysmd

fysmd Loves TiVo

Jan 4, 2002
    Cleckheaton,...

Advertisements

Ok so I know that the third tuner kicks in later but last night I was watching The Gadget Show on demand (loving being able to scroll the guide backward!) when TiVo ask permission to change channel.
    Only one red light lit so I assume that problem number one is that it didn't realise i wasn't using the other tuner.
    Problem number two is bigger though. Bloody thing switched me to the tuner in question and then changed channel!

Annoying!! Had to fast^H^H^H^H^Hslow forward back to where I was up to.

So two requests: continue OD playback when irresolute like this and provide a faster fast fwd while playing OD ;)

2. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Already mentioned a while back.
    OD does use one of the tuners :( I think we all assumed that it would come via the network connection, but I suppose technically Tivo still needs to use the tuner to display the OD content.
    Hopefully it won't be too long before the 3rd tuner gets added. We have learnt to look and see if we have time to watch something OD before both tuners kick in.

3. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    This issue is known, but 3rd tuner in March will fix this problem. :)

4. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland

Do we know WHICH March this will be...? :)

5. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK

Advertisements

Thought the VOD was delivered via IP connection through the modem? In fact there's another thread which has a comment that after some problems where VOD worked when other features didn't (or was it the other way round) and this was taken to be imply that VOD was coming via IP.

6. doctor.steve

doctor.steve New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    South Yorkshire
    I'm glad someone else posted this - the same thing occured to me the other day when watching OD for "outcasts" - the tivo had crashed the previous day when trying to record it originally - whilst watching another show I pressed forwards about 6 times to skip 3minutes and it all lit up and went into reset mode.

I couldn't figure out why a tuner would be needed for ondemand as it's streaming thru the 10MB connection.

- Oddly the BBC HD logo for that show slowly crept in from the upper left hand corner over the period of the show - I eventually could see the last bit of "bc" and just the bottom of it... nothing to do with tivo - an OD glitch I guess.

7. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    maybe someone from Virgin could explain, but I think the od maybe coming through the network, but Tivo needs the tuner to be able to output the video to the TV?

8. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    It can output video to TV fine, if it's coming from the local hard disk, even though it is stored in the same format.

Any video coming over the wire needs a tuner. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is broadcast TV, or On Demand sent only to you. To be honest I don't see why it should; it's all video.

I seem to recall the YouTube also needs a tuner, which surprised me slightly more. I wonder if VM are re-encoding it differently to how it would be fed to a browser.

9. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    Interestingly if you record two channels at once and then try on-demand it will fail before presenting any menus or content choices. I wonder if it is attempting to show the on-demand trailer channel that needs the third tuner?

No, I've proven that you can watch YouTube while recording two channels simultaneously.

10. darrenkenny2011

darrenkenny2011 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Vod on Tivo is still delivered over DVBC like the other boxes. Virgin may in future use the inbuilt modem for VOD but not yet.

11. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    This March :)

12. Faz

Faz New Member

May 2, 2004
    London, UK
    Hope this happens soon!

Only today I was telling someone how much better TiVo handles conflicts compared to Sky+. e.g. "TiVo is very intelligent in handling these, ahead of time, and NOT just when it actually happens, requiring a split second decision to either abandon the last part of a film you're watching, or cancel recording the latest episode of your favourite drama."

Quite frankly I was shocked when TiVo presented the conflict window whilst I was in the middle of watching some OD content. :mad:

So really the third tuner is a requirement, to offset a problem introduced by OD. But at least Virgin's service is truly on demand, similar to Homechoice, which I remember having more content.

13. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Hopefully this isn't too off-topic.

If the VMTivo is recording two programmes, can you view a previously recorded programme?

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. Record two, watch one. But cannot switch channels or watch any OD content if both tuners are in use.

This will change shortly when the third tuner is enabled.

15. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Thanks, Carl.

So this is a step up from the V+, where the third tuner was used to either record or view a programme?

I.e. when VMTivo's third tuner kicks in, it'll record three programmes and allow you to view one, whereas, I believe, with the V+ you can only record two if you want to view a previously recorded programme: a situation I always found puzzling. :confused:

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well right now it's a step backwards, but only for up to another month :)

The V+ had two hidden tuners and one visible. I often had both tuners recording whilst watching something either recorded or OD, but I could have watched something else live if I had wanted to.

17. warrenrb

warrenrb Quiet Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Belfast
    One frustrating thing about the OD using tuners I discovered tonight. I wanted to watch 30 rock, and did a search, found it, went into episode list, the season I wanted, the episode I wanted, watch from on demand, play.

TiVo was recording two things at the time, so it said it had to cancel a recording to watch OD. Problem was, it only offered me the choice of one programme to cancel - not the one I would have cancelled, given the choice.

So I had to go back to home, manually cancel the other programme, and then work my way all the way back through the OD menus again to get to the show I wanted to watch.

I guess my point is it would be good if, when a conflict warning comes up, it let me choose which show I want to cancel, right there in the alert screen.

18. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    On a related note - I wish you could "tag" an on demand show for later.

E.g I end up in a menu for an on demand show - i don't want to watch it immediately, but I want to remember to watch it tomorrow - without having to drill down through the search system.

you could just select "add to watch list", then later view a list of tagged shows
    - showing up as a folder in my shows with each "recording" playing an on demand show.

19. CeeBeeUK

CeeBeeUK New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    big +1 on this