Tuner was unavailable??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bmgoodman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1 of 42
    bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...

Advertisements

My sister called me last week and asked me why her Tivo wasn't recording a program that was on at that moment. It was set up in advance and appeared in the To Do List. I guided her to the recording history and she read out that the show wasn't being recorded because the "tuner was unavailable". She switched to live TV and saw the program had just started. She tried to record it. It looked like it was going to record, but she said the red light never came on. We went through this several times and I finally had her reboot the Tivo. Functionality was restored. Her Tivo is a non-modified Series 2.

Last night, I noticed Saturday Night Live wasn't recording on MY Series 2. It was on the To Do list. I switched over to Live TV and saw it was playing. I tried to record it and it acted like it was going to record it, but it never appeared on the Now Playing list. I looked in recording history and saw the "tuner was unavailable". I had to reboot to restore functionality. Now I notice my Tivo stopped recording on Wednesday of this past week. Everything since then was not recorded because the "tuner was unavailable". I've never seen this behavior before, but to see it on 2 different Series 2 Tivo units in two different locations (different town, different cable co.) in the span of a week?? It's an odd coincidence, don't you think? :eek:

OK, I am running 7.2.0. Anybody else see this lately?

2. Nov 6, 2005 #2 of 42
    simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    What's your signal source? Analog cable straight from wall into TiVo, or is there a cable/satellite box?

3. Nov 6, 2005 #3 of 42
    bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Analog cable from the wall to the Tivo. And in no case have I seen any evidence of a cable outage.

4. Nov 6, 2005 #4 of 42
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    HAve not seen this error before. That is definitely worth calling in to CSR about.

5. Nov 6, 2005 #5 of 42
    bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...

Advertisements

Do you think that it will help at all? Will I be able to get them to review my logs (assuming I *have* logs :D ). I really don't want to lose trust that Tivo will record things!

6. Nov 7, 2005 #6 of 42
    simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Given that no one else here seems to have heard of this error, TiVo is really your only/best bet for getting this fixed. This seems like a hardware issue, and that's really their area. If the first CSR you talk to isn't helpful and won't connect you to someone who knows hardware, I would try PM'ing one of the TiVo employees who posts here.

7. Nov 7, 2005 #7 of 42
    bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Well, I guess since nobody else has responded to this thread, these must be isolated and unrelated incidents. I have to say, though, it sure is an odd coincidence. Of course, if any of you later turns up some "tuner was unavailable" messages, feel free to pile on!

Thanks.

8. Nov 7, 2005 #8 of 42
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

once they have your TSN number - which they get when opening the trouble ticket - they can indeed review your logs. that is the whole point of a trouble ticket - gives them the go ahead and neeeded info to see what is going on inside your TiVo.

9. hardnose

hardnose New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    Just wanted to let you know that I have had this same experience - twice now! Once in September, missing the season premiere of Smallville, and the second time we discovered tonight. It's like the system clock is frozen, preventing any recording from being done, either scheduled or manual. I think it's at the point where I'm going to have to make a call. :)

10. Troy J B

Troy J B Lucky 200 Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    dangit, bad luck by reading this thread :(
    since Monday (Jan 23rd) I've been getting the "tuner was unavailable" message :(
    this on a 7.2.1-oth (sony with replaced/upgraded drives)

using with cable without a box

11. hardnose

hardnose New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    That makes 3 of us out of....how many TiVo users now....1.1 million, or something like that? Pretty exclusive club....

12. MegaHertz

MegaHertz New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Idaho
    My S2 TiVo started doing this on Tuesday night of this week. I only noticed tonight so have missed several days worth of recordings. Have any of the other users reporting gotten a solution from CSR?

13. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I can gladly report I have not seen or heard of this issue since I reported it late last year. However, I still wonder if this is something that is under-reported?

14. KellyR66

KellyR66 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    jacksonville...
    I have a TIVO Series 2 with cabletv directly plugged in as well as a directv tuner. Yesterday, I checked that American Idol, Lost, and Invasion were in my "to do" list. I noticed at 10:25pm that Invasion was not recording. I looked at the history log and it said Invasion was not recorded because "tuner was unavailable". I went to live tv and changed to channel 25 and hit the record button which started recording Invasion. I've never seen this error before. Invasion is on directv 25 (not the cable). I'll check when I get home today that it is recording everything else it is supposed to record.

15. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I can verify that we're not aware of this issue and I personally have never heard of it. Please do go ahead and call support. If it doesn't get escalated and solved, drop me an e-mail.

Sorry that you experienced this problem. Good luck!

Best regards,
    Stephen

16. KellyR66

KellyR66 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    jacksonville...
    I called Tivo support and explained what happened. The CSR checked with the helpdesk and then told me that they have heard of this issue before. They don't have much info on it but the solution he gave me was to power cycle the tivo box. When I get home I will make sure it recorded what it was supposed to last night. If it didn't then I'll try the power cycle.

17. Tricket

Tricket New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    San Mateo,...
    I've had this problem on most of my Tivo units, but very sporadically. Generally on the HDVR2 units, I think. I've figured it was just a "system is corrupted after X days up," and a power cycle fixes it. It's happened maybe ... 4 times? ... over the course of 3 or 4 years. Enough to be very aggravating when it happens, but hasn't impacted me greatly, since the Tivos are still the most stable of my equipment :)

18. MegaHertz

MegaHertz New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Idaho
    Agreed in three years it has only happened once, but it would be nice if they could find a solution for the problem. I am calling support right now hopefully by opening a ticket they will be able to find something useful in my logs.

19. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I've had a series 2 for 3 years, and a series 1 for 2 years (analog cable straight to boxes) and AFAIK, this has never happened to me.

20. KellyR66

KellyR66 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    jacksonville...
    Followup on my post from yesterday...

It looks TIVO lost it's mind 53 minutes into Lost. The status bar shows the 1:03 but you can't view past 53 minutes.

I don't understand why tivo can't tell us what "tuner was unavailable" means. Obviously a programmer had to key in that verbage to show in the history log under certain conditions. I wonder what the conditions are.

When I talked to customer service, I specifically asked if they wanted to look at my box and examine the logs. He said no but did thank me for reporting the problem. I don't know how you can diagnose and fix a problem if you don't look at the data on the box.

Oh well, this is the first time this has happened to me in the over 2 years I've had this TIVO. Hopefully I won't see it for another two.