Tuner Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by jangell2, Sep 19, 2020.

1. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Jan 21, 2002

Advertisements

I have some tuner questions. When I use the right arrow and up or down arrows I find 5 tuners, so I presume the tuner the Edge is currently on is not listed?

Some days I look at the 5 tuners and every single tuner is tuned to a station selected by my wife’s mini including the Edge’s tuner. If i have shut down my system and gone to bed, can the Mini use all the tuners, and why would it? I have a hard time believing the mini needed 5 or 6 tuners at once. This irritates me because I now have no buffer for my channel.

When I was a DTV customer (almost 20 years, I think) their tuners had a 90 minute buffer. The Tivo buffers are 30 minutes only. Have you ever wanted longer? I’ll watch CNN quite a bit and the 30 minute buffer doesn’t get me thru a day of fast forwarding thru CNN’s frequent commercials. I even submitted a request to expand at least one buffer. Do they implement user suggestions?

This is not a tuner question. I use a harmony remote to shut down my system at night. It is not designed to turn off the Edge. Usually, if I take notice, the green light is still on after shut down. Sometimes the next morning when I turn all on, the Tivo is in the off mode, the green light is off. I use the Tivo remote to turn the Tivo on and of course there’s no buffer.

Does something happen during the night to shut the Tivo off. Do system updates do that? I think this happens a little too often to be system updates.

Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In reverse order. Check Menu, Settings, Remote Cable Card & Devices, Power Saving Settings. It saves little but does turn off the tuners and their buffers. Read the text on the upper right for more detail.
    Green LED goes out during Standby (Power Saving).
    Buffer rewind is always 30 minutes. If you decide to record the channel after 30 minutes you may get more content, depending on the bit-rate of the channel.
    I never heard of a user suggestion being enabled.
    Yes, the host is not shown when you view the tuners (except you see it while looking at the other tuners :)).
    A Mini will use an existing tuner if that tuner is on that channel. The buffer is not affected. But it will change that tuner's channel if needed and you lose the buffer.

3. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Jan 21, 2002
    I think you misunderstood. I don’t want to put the Tivo in standby, but sometimes it seems to go there. I wanted to know why. BTW, I have power saving off and I’ve never changed it. Does the HD keep on spinning in stand by?

4. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Your harmony remote may be programmed to turn the TiVo off/standby, check your programming. If you want buffers the disk has to be spinning.

5. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida

Advertisements

I've been a little over an hour into a movie, then decide to record it, and it started the recording at the beginning, so internally there is more then a 30 minute buffer, its just limiting the trickplay buffer to 30 minutes.