TTG Transfers > iMovie/Final Cut for editing

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dmband, Dec 12, 2007.

1. dmband

dmband Member

Jan 15, 2007

Advertisements

i have a Series 2 with a MAC (thinking of upgrading to HD)
    i can transfer no problem and burn with Toast

HOWEVER
    i am looking for a way to take the .tivo file and use it in iMovie or Final Cut
    basically to edit commericals and make a nice menu (compaired to toasts)

i searched around some but there is so much info its kinda over my head
    if anyone could give me an answer as to...
    if its possible
    what programs i may or may not need
    anything else i might need to know

that would be great and appreciated, thanks

2. cnsayre

cnsayre New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    In theory, it's easy. Import into Toast, export as some other format (there's a code you need to type once into a terminal window to "free up" a lot of the conversions.

Then it's open a new project in iMovie, drag/drop your newly converted file in, and edit away!

3. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
  4. fatespawn

fatespawn New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicagoish, IL
    The cleanest way I've found to do this.... without re-encoding to different formats etc... is to use TivoDecodeManager to download and decrypt the .tivo files directly from your Tivo to your computer.

TDM leaves you with .mpg files that are directly editable in a variety of applications.

You'll probably need to download the mpeg-2 playback component for QT from apple. It's $20. If all you want to do is view the .mpg files, you can of course use VLC, but since you're looking to edit them, get the plugin.

Then take your remaining .mpg file and drop it into MPEG Streamclip. Streamclip requires the mpeg-2 playback component to be installed in QT.

MPEG Streamclip allow you to export to a variety of formats as well as lets you clip out the commercials (albeit manually). You can then export to .DV if you desire and drop these directly into iMovie or iDVD.

Alternatively, you can just do a "save as" and drop the new .mpg back into toast and follow any of the instructions above for using toast.

I use iMovie 6. YMMV if you're using iLife '08.

Just my workflow.

5. dmband

dmband Member

Jan 15, 2007

Advertisements

thanks guys

i can now do the expert exports
    but i am not sure what one to use?
    i have a 30 min .tivo file thats 1gb in size
    some options like DV say the new file will be 6gb - i know that has to be a waste right??? you can't up the quality, thus make the file bigger can you

others say it will be like 50mb in size

6. cnsayre

cnsayre New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    It depends. Each conversion is going to change the file in some way, and you typically lose some data (and picture quality) with each conversion you make.

iMovie will (I think) default save the movie file as a DV file, and you're right, a 30 minute show is about 6 GB.

You can export the show in any format you want from Toast, but it'll be reconverted, again, in iMovie.

Ideally, you'd want to export the .tivo file as a DV file, thus requiring only one conversion (from .tivo (which is an MPEG2) to DV. The file will not be converted again upon import into iMovie). That may not be an issue if you have a lot of HD space. However, you can retain pretty good quality (and save a bit of space) by exporting it as a(n) H.264 MPEG4 file. The file size will be much smaller, and it'll still look good. Of course, it will then be converted to DV upon importing it into iMovie resulting in a little loss of more data/quality.

With all of that said, a 1 GB 30 minute file is HUGE. Is this HD or recorded on "Best" quality?

I simply ask because, IMO, you gain a lot in appearance in going from least quality to medium. Not so much from Medium to high, and very little from high to best. The sweet spot (again, for me) is either medium or high quality.

But that's me. YMMV.

cnsayre

7. dmband

dmband Member

Jan 15, 2007
    thanks

yes i have it set to best quality, 1st time i didn't know how it would turn out
    i guess med to high is good though