TTG - Preparing Service Update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by KingBubbaTruck, Jan 26, 2005.

1. KingBubbaTruck

KingBubbaTruck New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    So, I get up this morning and there's a nice message on the tv. It says 'Preparing the service update. This may take up to an hour, possibly longer.'

I have no idea how long this has been going on, and it's been over an hour at this point. I guess the question is how long can this take?

I'm trying to be patient, but....

Has this update ever gotten stuck before?

Thanks!

2. TomJHansen

TomJHansen Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    It took 20 minutes on my 2 series 2s. I would give it a few hours (because maybe it matters how full the disk is).

3. tilmansp

tilmansp New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    My Tivo displayed that message for at least 12 hours. At that time, I ran out of patience, and power-cycled it by disconnecting the power cord for a few seconds. It came back to life just fine, running the 7.1 software.

4. KingBubbaTruck

Jan 26, 2005
    Ok, That's great news. I'll let it run a few more hours, and then cycle it.

Thanks!

5. KingBubbaTruck

Jan 26, 2005
    So, I waited another couple of hours, cycled the unit, and it booted into 7.1.

Transferring some shows to disk right now.

6. corners

corners New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    This same thing happened to me--in my case it ran for nearly 24 hours before I power cycled.

But now I've been having all sorts of intermittent problems:

1. First transfer started out OK, but then it crapped out in the middle; seems that TiVo couldn't find the gateway all of a sudden.
    2. Configured TCP/IP settings manually, did a soft reboot, and that solved the problem.
    3. Did one transfer today--went flawlessly but slow (2.4 Mb/s over an 801.2b network). Then the second transfer crapped out halfway through.
    4. Checked the TiVo, it said it lost the gateway again. I reentered everything, then did a soft reboot, now it says it can't find the wireless network (even though I know its there--my laptop works fine in that room).

Edit: Now it's working again, after power cycling my access point. TiVo "continued" the transfer by starting over. Gee, thanks. :-(

Any ideas? Could the update not have "taken" properly? Or worse yet, maybe the update happened correctly but it's buggy?

corners

7. tcbeatie

tcbeatie New Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Boston, MA
    the same thing seems to be happening to me at the moment, it's been going on for at leat 6 hours. I'm thinking I'll wait until tomorrow and power cycle. I'm a bit anxious as I just did an upgrade (that I thought went successfully) on tuesday night.

8. Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Why doesn't TiVo do their updates "behind the scenes" all the time? There have been times when I have noticed the red record light is on on the DVR but I know I haven't scheduled anything to record. When I fire up my TV it is on some infomercial channel and when I try to change the channel, a msg is displayed at the bottom of the screen from TiVo saying if I change the channel, the update that is taking place will be canceled. What's THAT all about?

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The download of the new software, in the install files, download "behind the scenes". The DVR however needs to stop DVRing to install the new OS/Software.

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That are the yellow star ads (when they include video) that sometime display on your Now Playing menu. Tivo usually records their content from certain channels during the middle of the night.

11. oldhack

oldhack New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    sun valley CA
    after i installed a bigger drive, i got the service update thing. The drive was clean and the "update" took about 3 minutes. So if your drive is somewhat full then it would take longer.