TTG on mac - NOT!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sonicboom, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1 of 36
    sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston

Advertisements

I was excited about TTG *finally* becoming available on the S3, after over a year of waiting. Unfortunately Tivo in their infinite wisdom chose to ignore the hottest selling platform out there: mac.

Tivo Decode Manager is a good Indy attempt at delivering the missing functionality, but it's unreliable (flaky network downloads), and therefor not worth using.

Toast... well, I already paid $800 for my S3 plus $300 for service. I'm not paying Roxio $80 for Tivo's missing functionality.

On top of it all, even Apple dropped the ball, where the mpeg2 playback plug-in for quicktime is broken for Leopard (10.5). So even if you could download the content, you couldn't use Front Row or AppleTv to view it (which is quicktime based), without first doing a conversion to mp4.

Yuck!
    The planet's aren't aligned yet.

While the feature is technically available to those who have plenty of time and patience, I will not consider TTG a feature until the proper tools are available to simplify the user experience (that which defines tivo in the first place).

2. Nov 3, 2007 #2 of 36
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Really? So THAT'S why I couldn't cut the commercials in MPEG Streamclip.

3. Nov 3, 2007 #3 of 36
    sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    Right. MPEG Streamclip leverage's quicktime's mpeg2 decoder. So neither work.

4. Nov 3, 2007 #4 of 36
    doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    Was it supposed to be there in the first place? IIRC, you had to buy the MPEG2 QT plugin for tiger, why would leopard be any different?

5. Nov 4, 2007 #5 of 36
    sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston

Advertisements

No leopard wasn't supposed to have it. The purchased mpeg2 QT plug-in doesn't work in leopard.

6. Nov 4, 2007 #6 of 36
    hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    The Apple Mpeg-2 plugin for Quicktime works fine for me running Leopard. Likewise, TiVoDecode Manager Mpeg-2 import option works for downloading, and MPEG Streamclip (with Mpeg-2 plugin) for editing. At least on my Mac.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #7 of 36
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Apple Computers still only represent less then 24% of the market share....

8. Nov 4, 2007 #8 of 36
    Dunnie

Dunnie New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    TivoDecode doe snot properly decode 1080i still .... lots of audio hiccups.

9. Nov 4, 2007 #9 of 36
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
  10. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002

Same here no problems in Leopard.

11. bsaxton

bsaxton New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I use VisualHub for converstions and either Safari or TivoDecode Manager to download. I have been having bad luck getting the .tivo files off the HD TiVo though... it seems that if the stream has any kind of interruption, the file cannot be downloaded... anybody have this issue? Any ideas how to get around it? I wonder if firefox would do better...

12. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    For folks whose MPEG 2 is broken (or who just want more formats supported through QuickTime) try Perian, at http://perian.org/. It's free, it extends QuickTime so it works with AppleTV and FrontRow, it's Leopard-compatible, and it works well.

From their website:

13. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    Hmm, what kind of mac do you have? G4? I think the mpeg2 playback problem may only be an issue on the Intel-based platforms.

14. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    I've tried Perian (which looked really cool), and it doesn't work with QT on Leopard either (on Intel macs).

15. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    It's true that Apple computers have a smaller market share than windows-based machines.

The more interesting stat would be what percentage of Tivo owners also own macs. Given Tivo appeals to people who want a positive and simple user experience, I would think that number would be quite high.

Even if we go with your 24% number (and growing rapidly - note macbooks are the number one selling laptop)... that's a large customer base to leave hanging.

16. hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I've tried it on both on an Intel Mac Pro and a PowerBook G4 since installing Leopard. However, I only installed Leopard a few days ago and haven't given downloading, editing, etc. a lengthy workout yet.

17. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I have an Intel iMac with Leopard and no problems, have both Perian and Apple MPEG-2 codec so I can not be sure which is making it work properly. I will say that when I play back downloaded shows using Quicktime I have no audio, but when I use the Toast Media Player, mPlayer for OSX, MPEG StreamClip or VLC all have audio and play fine.

18. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Perian works just fine. I've got it running on both my iMac and my mini (both Intel based). Worked in Tiger, works in Leopard.

19. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    Hmm, so Perian and/or apple's QT mpeg2 plug-in are working for you guys on Intel macs running Leopard. Ok, that's promising. Then there must be something up with my config.

How did you install?

1) upgrade
    2) archive and install
    3) erase and install

I did option 1. I wonder if I have cruft left-over from Tiger that's interfering.

20. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I did an archive and install. Perian was working before and after.