TTG - Incorrect Video Lengths after transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sinnfein, Oct 27, 2007.

1. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

Jun 15, 2002

Advertisements

Hi - I've just started using TTG as my first TiVo is an HD that was recently upgraded to the 9.2 software release. After some initial setup bumps, I've now got both TTG and TCB running well for the most part.

One huge frustration I keep stumbling against - after I download a file to my PC from the TiVo, more often than not the .tivo file shows as having an incorrect length in media player (or zoom player).

For example, a 500 MBish 30 minute program will download completely (file length is correct) but will show as only a 5 minute file in media player. It will continue playing beyond the 5 minute mark, but obviously I lose all media control features (FF, Rew, etc.). These files also tend to hang up when editing using VideoReDo and other tools.

Anyone else seen this or have any suggestion on how I fix this? I am using the 2.5.1 TiVo desktop plus software release.

THANKS

2. ebrdhrst

ebrdhrst New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I am having the same issue. After some testing I have found that for some reason the file on my PC is missing pieces of the tv show. I have even tried moving the show from one tivo to another and then moving it to the PC. Same exact piece is missing no matter how many times or which tivo I transfer from. This is very frustrating, someone please help!!

3. phyd

phyd New Member

Mar 7, 2002
    San Jose
    I have a similar issue, although I've sound that TTG is truncating files that should be much larger. For example - I have a 7GB 1 hour show in my Series 3 HD that only pulls down the first 350MB (or so) / 5 minutes of the show.

Something pretty weird happening. The exact same thing happens if I grab the show using TiVO Transfer (on the Mac), or manually grabbing the file and downloading it through tht regular "Now Playing" web page served up by the TiVO.

My series 2 SD TiVO seems just fine and healthy, just the HD issues.

--Brian.

4. texasnightowl

texasnightowl New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I've had similar but only with one program so far. Here's the post I made in another thread:

I'm not sure what the cause was but I had a recent similar problem. 1 hr show opens and plays in Windows Media Player but says it is 1:50 instead of 1:00 long. Tried using VideoReDo (.tivo format)and TMPGEnc DVD Author (.mpeg format) programs and they reported a time of 0:38. At various points the frames were incorrect and the file would stop playing.

I converted the file to mpeg along the way and was able to open it for editing in yet another program. What I found there was that about 21 minutes into the program the time coding started over at 0 again. Not sure why. Maybe the TIVO rebooted but kept recording? Anyway, I was able to use this other program to pull the parts from the show to do stuff I guess we're not supposed to talk about here. So yes, I have recently experienced a problem similar to yours but I'm not smart enough to know what happened.

FWIW, 3 other files have been fine so far. It is just the one that had this problem for now.

5. 747pilot

747pilot Member

May 20, 2002
    Philadelphii...

Advertisements

My problem is similar. Two issues of the same show, Penn and Teller's BS from showtime. Each one shows a length of 8 minutes on the windows media player, but the whole show seems to be there. The slider gets all the way to the right after 8 minutes but the show keeps going. Luckily there are no commercials to slide past, but it is strange behavior none the less. These recordings were made quite a while ago, maybe it has something to do with that?

6. rictus

rictus New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm seeing the problem mentioned above on most of my downloaded programs--WMP thinks the play time is shorter than it is, though it keeps playing it. Very annoying.

I'm also getting a completely different problem on one particular file (an HD episode of Planet Earth). On this specific file, TiVo Desktop refuses to download more than 200MB of the file, even though the entire file is there on the TiVo. The same problem occurs when downloading from the TiVo directly via its HTTPS interface. Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That is a PC issue. More specifically, it is an issue with the codec / decoder that Windows Media Player is using.

The TiVo appears to have trouble transferring certain files. It's not clear at this point what causes the problem.

TiVo did improve this to some extent with 9.2. I found that I could transfer a number of recordings with 9.2 that refused to transfer in 9.1.

8. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have 9.2 on my S3 and just got TiVo desktop. I transferred lots of shows to my PC with no problems. Several episodes of Big Shots, Men in Trees, Ugly Betty, and American Inventor. They all transferred fine, over 100 gb of shows.

Then I tried to transfer several episodes of Big Bang Theory, Moonlight, and Cane. It said it would take 15 hours for all the transfers. I check back a few hours later and its all done. All the files are anywhere from 7MB to 1GB and not complete. I deleted them an tried again and the files are the same exact sizes they where before. I rebooted both the TiVo and the PC but it's still the same for all those series. One episode will only download 7mb and it says its complete. Some a 70 mb one 1.3 gb

Is this a TiVo problem or a TiVo Desktop problem? Is TiVo aware of this and are they working on a fix?

-Joe

9. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    This has gone from bad to worse for me - now I can't transfer anything completely.

All of the files I transfer go without any complaints, but they are always too small. Simple examples:

590 MB south park episode on Tivo -> 501 MB after transfer in TiVo desktop plus
    690 MB Daily Show with John Stewart on TiVo -> 590 MB on PC

Both files will start to play properly but show incorrect show lengths and will not play thru to the end properly. THey show this behavior using both Windows Media Player and in the Zoom player.

The incorrect file sizes are an indication to me that this is not related to any CODECs, but to something between the TiVo and the Desktop transfer software.

This makes TTG useless to me unfortunately.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The 160Gb drive in the TivoHD does not actually provide 160Gb of capacity. It provides 160,000,000 bytes of capacity. But there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, and 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte. So that 160,000,000 bytes of capacity is actually 152.58 gigabytes (95% of 160Gb).

TiVo does the same thing on the file sizes it reports on the INFO screen. It reports sizes based on multiples of 1000 instead of 1024. Even TiVo Desktop reports sizes incorrectly, because it takes the number of gigabytes (based on 10000) reported by the TiVo and multiples that by 1024 to display megabytes.

In actual practice, files transferred your your PC will only be ~94% of the size reported by the Tivo. If they are significantly less than 94% of the TiVo's reported size, than that could indicate a problem with the transfer.

If the file displays incorrect lengths, that is often a codec issue on your PC, which would affect both WMP and ZP. You might try VLC and see if you have the same problem there; VLC uses its own codecs, rather than your default Windows codec like WMP and ZP.

11. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi - thanks for the feedback. I downloaded VLC to give that a try. It does seem to open up some .tivo files I have downloaded to my PC via the desktop software but they don't play (black screen, no audio). Does VLC support .tivo files?

Also - on my earlier posting re: filesizes - here are a couple of screen grabs as examples - hope these are helpful. I understand your referecnes above to 1024 multiples, etc - but would the desktop software report sizes from the TiVo differently than it reports the same file downloaded? I've attached example screenshots of the same South Park episode "Pink Eye" on the TiVo desktop "transfer" screen, then after the transfer in the TiVo desktop software.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    To sum up:

Don't worry about an 8 or 9% difference in filesize between TiVo and PC. It is due to slight difference in how each count filesize.

Installing a good codec (see bkdtv) usually fixes these playback/length issues - and many other things.

It is known that a decent percentage of recordings will not transfer properly, stopping part way through, often very early, but there isn't an explanation or work around yet.

============

I've seen that black screen, no audio problem on some .tivos (WMP.) Since you already installed a good codec as per bkdtv, try the solution which works for me, which is to run the .tivo through VideoRedo, saving as an .mpg .

13. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    I transferred a 62 minute (7.9Gb) file using TD 2.5.1 last night and it's perfect, playing in Media Player Classic. Might you guys w/problems be using wireless???

HDTivo when I saved my .tivo HD file as .mpg out of VRD-TVS, it has wierd stutters on the S3. Can you share with me pls your Stream parameter options???

My own are attached.

Attached Files:

14. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    You may be refering to transcoding to DVD compliant mpg with the new VRD-TVS? I have not used that (yet - I'll buy it just out of gratitude to VR people. :) )

Otherwise, all I do in VR is open the .tivo and click save as and save it as a .mpg . If there are some additional settings you'd like me to look up in VR, I'd be happy to tomorrow when I return from out of town. As far as I remember, I am using all the defaults that VR installed with originally.

15. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    That's right, that's all there is to it. But the settings I referred to are under Tools/Options/Stream Parameters and I don't know if I'm at Defaults anymore.

Since you are getting clean mpgs I would appreciate knowing what those settings are. Thanks!

16. ebrdhrst

ebrdhrst New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't think reading the file size is correct. I transferred "Big Shots" with a length of 60 minutes. The .tivo file was only 37 minutes long. After searching through the file I found that mid way through the show it all of a sudden jumps ahead and skips a big chuck of the show. This started with a few shows here and there but seems to be happening more often now.

17. phyd

phyd New Member

Mar 7, 2002
    San Jose
    Anybody else actually having the truncated files problem? Ie. A 7GB file on the Series 3 HD only transfers to couple of hundred meg? Causes TiVo Transfer to bail completely, and just stops short during a regular HTTP get. No problems on my Series 2 SD box.

18. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be sure to post the specifics of the file so Tivo can take down that information, i.e. cable provider, channel number, affiliate name, name of program with date and time, etc.

19. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002

Detect/resync missing frames = Resync - insert xtra video frame

Delta Frames = 3

Max Audio Frame Errors = 32000

Discontinuity Checkpoints = 8

Encoder Quality = High

Unchecked: Ignore transport stream maps ; Output Diagnostic Data

Checked: Convert All I-Frames ; Double Video Buffer; Skip Encoder Conformity

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Output stream parameters:

Unchecked: Start Video Frame; Align Packet Data

Checked: Output PTS, Output PS, Drop frame

Multiplexor audio lag = 20

Output Packet Length: MPEG2 = 2028 - DVD ; MPEG1 = 2324 - VCD Std

---------------------------------------------

My version does not have the MB to Scan or the Set Header options.

20. davidmin

davidmin Member

Dec 3, 1999
    Oakland, CA USA
    My files are getting truncated ever since 9.1. It has happened on both my wireless s2 and wired s3. I am transferring Daily Show and Colbert.