TTG and Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mathewbeall, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mathewbeall

mathewbeall New Member

Mar 4, 2002

Advertisements

Hello All!

I (as have most of you) been waiting with baited breath for MRV and TTG to finally come to Series3! To be honest, I thought CableLabs had pretty much put that feature in the grave, so am very excited that Tivo was able to get it pushed through.

I have the upgraded version of TivoDesktop, and pulled down last Monday's copy of Heroes in glorious HD to my computer. I then used TivoDesktop to convert it to Ipod format. I was dissapointed to see that it converted it with a resolution of 320x240. The ipod touch can do double that resolution.

Is there no option (hidden or otherwise) to enccode in H.264 at a higher resolution?

TIA,

Matt

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Not in TiVo Desktop. They haven't done the "upgrade" for the NEW Ipods.

HOWEVER... I do have a solution for you...

Roxio Easy Creator Version 10. http://www.roxio.com

It will read the HD TiVo Files and convert them to the NEW HD MP4/H264 that the new IPODS can read.

The older Ipods can't view/read HD Mp4/H264... the New Ipod touch/Iphone can

TGC

P.S. Yes, there are other programs besides Roxio that will do the job as well.

3. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    I loaded Heroes to my iPhone today. It's perfect & stunning. Used VisualHub ($23 bucks). Very easy program.

4. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...
    Is multiroom viewing available now? Before November?

5. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...

Advertisements

It is working. This just made my whole week, wild-fires and all, worthwhile! Thank you Tivo!!!

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
  7. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
  8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I'll bet he gets TiVo Rewards points for each click-thru. :)

9. mathewbeall

mathewbeall New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    I did check the other forum, but didn't find anything specific.

visualhub looks great, but I don't have a Mac... :(

I do have PQ-DVD, and it works great for dvd's, etc. and supposedly it supports .tivo files, but when I load one up to convert it, it just hangs... their support isn't that great either...

Roxio 10 looks good, but its $100 and there is no demo to download and try it out...

Has anyone else had good luck with another PC program?

Thanks,

Matt

10. jmjerome

jmjerome New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Matt,

I'm interested in what you find. Update your post with any info.

Thanks,

Jeff

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've heard that there's a version of Handbrake for Windows now.
    You might want to check that out.

12. mathewbeall

mathewbeall New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Ok, I have made some progress. I used DirectShow Dump Utility to create a mpeg file, and then I used videora to create a 640x360 h.264 file. I can't test the playback on my iTouch yet since it's with me at work, but the file looks correct on the computer... I will post more later tonite.

Matt

13. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002

First recommendation is get a Mac. In lieu of that, which I am only half kidding about there are a large number of options for creating ITouch files with the PC. I would start with VideoRedo to edit out commericals, it is awesome and can automatically find and edit out commercials (only program that makes me use my PC instead of my Macs) and will give you an MPEG-2 file. Videora is probably fine for conversion to iTouch format and it is free. You could also use MPEG Streamclip to edit and then save in iTouch format.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

14. Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    I ran a star wars HD Movie from my S3 through VideoRedo, and then tried to use Handbrake on it to converto an MP4 - no go, it would start encoding then immediately dump out. Can Handbrake not handle the high def Mpeg2 ?

15. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I tried PQDVD a while back. Too slow. I could never find good transcoding tools for the PC so I bought a Mac Mini. Now I can use handbrake and ffmpegx, which are great tools. I also use Tivo Transfer w/ Roxio.

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I don't know about the Mac version of Tivo Desktop, but on the PC version, you can edit all of the encoding parameters with a resource editor. Said a different way, you can customize everything -- resolution, frame rate, average video bitrate, peak video bitrate, audio bitrate, etc. I appended a screenshot at the bottom of this post.

Download the free XN Resource Editor application.

Make sure Tivo Desktop is closed. Right-click on the TiVo icon in your task tray and click "Pause Server."

Run the XN Resource Editor and use it to open the c:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\TiVoTrans.dll.

Select ENCODEPROFILES -> 220 -> English on the left. Scroll down to the bottom where you see:
    You can change the hrez and vrez values as appropriate for your player. In the case of the iPod Touch, you would change hrez to 640 and vrez to 480. If you increase resolution, you'll probably also want to increase the bitrate; you might try a vbitrateK of 1000 with a vmaxbitrateK of 1200.

Save the change. Open Tivo Desktop and select the "H.264 compatible device" profile (instead of iPod) under File -> Preferences -> Portable Devices.

You can right-click on the Tivo icon in your task tray to "Resume Server."

To restore the default settings, delete the TiVoTrans.dll and re-run the TiVo Desktop setup program. When you choose the Repair option, the installer will re-copy the original version of the file.

[​IMG]

17. jmjerome

jmjerome New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that is what I'm looking for. thanks bkdtv

18. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I have a mental image of this member using MRV to move from one room to the next as wildfires engulf his house...

19. mathewbeall

mathewbeall New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Thanks - testing tivoconverter with the resolution changed to 640x480!

20. mathewbeall

mathewbeall New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Directshow -> videora worked great... (it autodetected and converted to 640x360).

Changing the tivotrans.dll to 640x480 also worked great... I just changed the resolution to 640x360 to get more real estate on the screen... I will post once that is done letting you know if that works well...

Matt