TTCB - Copyright holder error?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by theguru1974, Oct 31, 2007.

1. theguru1974

theguru1974 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Richmond, VA

Advertisements

Has anyone gotten that red symbol when viewing their PCs video files from the Now Playing list, where it says this recording cannot be transferred due to copyright, blah blah? Is it filtering out based on file names or is it actually finding something within the video file that throws up the proverbial red flag? I have some old AVIs of Captain Power that I am trying to transfer from PC to Tivo.

Thanks,
    Guru

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    It is definitely NOT using file names. It is checking copyright data in the video fields themselves.

3. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Sometimes its actually the video content. If you don't have TivoDesktopPlus that could be part of your problem. try converting it first to mpeg2 and then transfering it.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Without TD+ .avi files don't even show up in TD Now Playing List.

5. theguru1974

theguru1974 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Richmond, VA

Advertisements

I have TivoDesktopPlus. I have a hard time believing Tivo has a way to look at the content and determine if it's copyrighted. Wouldn't it have to have data for literally tens of thousands of shows?

Someone in another thread which I found after posting this (oops - sorry) mentioned that ALL avis not encoded in divx or xvid are automatically flagged as copyrighted. I'll try converting the file using Dr. Divx and report back.

Eric

6. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    I'll bunk that theory as we transferred and watched Ratatouille ands Transformers divx .avi's over last weekend. if they were flagging things, you'd think movies like these would be on the list...

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I used pocketDivxEncoder and see the copyright message on my AVIs for Avatar files. It is no actual copyright issue but a bad format and then a misformed error messgae about the bad format. Guess I will have to try some other encoders

8. briankasper

briankasper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Los...
    Yep, it's definitely a format error. I tried to use TTCB to display some .AVI movies I took with my Canon digital camera and experienced the "copyright holder" error. I converted those files to MPEG-2 using FFMpeg and they now work fine in TTCB.

-B

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL