Trying to play large music collection crashes home media server

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dan S, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Dan S

Dan S Member

Aug 8, 2007

Advertisements

Hi there everyone, I am hoping we can harness the collected wisdom of this forum to help Tivo fix a reproducible bug that I have run into on my new Tivo HD.

I have my large physical CD collection archived onto a Windows PC as 320k MP3 files. There are about 12,000 songs total, from about 900 albums. So, as soon as I bought my Tivo HD, I installed the Tivo desktop software on that PC and pointed it to the "MY Music" folder.

The music collection is organized in a way I suspect many are: Root level of "My Music" folder, which then contains folders for all the different artists, with each artist folder containing the different album folders by that artist. That's the default way Itunes or Windows Media Player will do things if you use them to archive your CDs.

On the Tivo, I can navigate to the level of an artists folder and hit "play" and it will start playing a list of all the artists's songs, from each of the alums contained in that folder. I can also shuffle those songs.

But, if I hit "play" when I am at the root "my music" level, in order to play a shuffled list of the ENTIRE music collection, it immediately crashes the Tivo desktop server, which then needs to be manually restarted. This happens every time. Very frustrating, because that means there is no way to simply listen to a random shuffle of my music collection, a very common use of MP3 collections. My Roku Soundbridge can do that, My ipod can do that..........

I called up Tivo and they told me this was a known issue, but no info on if or when it would ever be fixed. But, they did not know what size list of songs was the upper limit that would cause the crash.

So, if anyone has time, maybe they could try this out and let us know if it works for them or if it crashes the server, and also post how many songs they have. I figure it would be useful for Tivo to know a rough idea of what size a song collection has to reach, to cause this bug.

Thanks!

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
  3. gbronzer

gbronzer New Member

May 19, 2006
    Huntersville...
    I tried Galleon with my TivoHD and couldn't get it to find the TivoHD. Has anyone else gotten Galleon to recognize the TivoHD on their network?

4. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    mine does the same with 1287 selections, way below your 12,000.
    --
    Alan :-D

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

This has been discussed many times in the Desktop forum - there is no particular number of songs that does it. It varies system to system based on available resources. And it has *always* done this, so I wouldn't wait for a fix.

6. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Galleon didn't find my TiVo S3, but the S3 found the Galleon server. But the S3 didn't like my VBR MP3 files too much...
    Would be nice to have a music server to port onto my Slug (unslung NSLU2) which is my music server for my Roku and iTunes...

7. Sprk Jonz

Sprk Jonz New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Orange, CA
    OK, I can't help you with your issue of playing the entire collection at random but I may have a tip for you that could be helpful. I have a library with about 31,000 songs and I do just fine with Tivo (though unable to play entire library at random).

A few years ago when I first started building an mp3 library, I used a different mp3 streaming solution and found I had the same problem you have, system crashing, etc. Another issue I had was trying to scroll through the 300+ artists at that folder level. Even if the system could take it, it made for slow browsing.

I rebuilt my library with my music folder structured to have alphabetical folders for grouping artists (for example):
    My Music > A> Apples In Stereo > Fun Trick Noisemaker
    My Music > N> Nirvana > Nevermind
    My Music > N> Neutral Milk Hotel > On Avery Island

This makes it so easy to browse AND Tivo doesn't crash trying to index 500+ artists. I now use Tivo HME without any issues . If you are an ipod user (regrettably I am), you'll have to manually organize your iTunes library because Apple could never imagine that there's more than one way to do something (ok, sorry for the Apple bashing).

One recent change I made, simply for easier browsing was to create high-level genre folders, all for easy Tivo browsing:
    My Music > Rock & Pop > A > Apples...
    My Music > Jazz & Classical > B> Brubeck, Dave...

One last tip - I created a Playlist folder for recent album playlists so I can recall & find them easier (new music can get lost quickly in a large library).

Hope that helps!

8. gbronzer

gbronzer New Member

May 19, 2006
    Huntersville...
    You're correct drcos. I started Galleon which still said it couldn't find my TivoHD, but if I went to the Tivo it saw the Galleon server. This is great since I can use the SlimServer app as my music player. It doesn't seem to crash the Tivo. And it's a much nicer player.

9. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I will have to go back and look at that. It's not a big issue for me right now as I use a Roku M500 as a player and an uNSLUng Linksys with a 60GB drive for a music server in the 'home entertainment' center :) I was looking at an app to run on the Linksys that would be 'seen' by the Tivo S3, but couldn't find anything current.
    Anyhow, for just music, I like the operating interface on the Roku, and it sounds better (and I don't have to turn on the TV to start playing music).
    I don't understand why the Roku was/is not more popular...it does what it does well. Perhaps because they pulled the smaller unit and focused on the bigger one...?