Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by V7Goose, Nov 13, 2020.
That’s a rather excellent question.
Here's my case number: 09986278
Greetings, after downgrading my Roamio OTA from TE4 to TE3, my two Mini 2s will no longer connect to the Roamio.
The Minis will boot and the user menus will appear, and suddenly a blue screen with a dog chewing on a cable takes over the screen and cannot be dismissed. If I reboot the Mini without the Ethernet cable plugged in, the menus will function as expected, but when I plug in the cable, the blue dog screen of death slams down within a few minutes.
This is not an Ethernet connection issue. The Mini pulls an IP address from my router; it is pingable; its web server will respond to my browser; and I can see traffic between the Mini and your servers at tivo.com .
My Minis are connecting to:
When downgrading the Roamio, it did not display a warning that Minis at TE4 will no longer be able to talk to the DVR when it is downgraded to TE3. I've been caught off-guard. This is supposed to be a supported user activity (downgrading a Roamio OTA to TE3).
Will you help me to get my Minis at TE4 to connect to my Roamio at TE3?
Please also see support cases 09884788, 09886608, 09888369, 09910642, 09913231, 09915925, 09943282, and 09947466.
Yes, connection to the mothership for updates is totally independent of the inability to work with a host or seeing this particular error. I have proven that my A93 mini still makes successful daily connections even while left locked on the blue-dog screen for multiple days.
In fact, this is the strongest evidence that we have that the problem is an OBVIOUS bug in the code, since the "error" message says there is a problem with the internet, but the device CONTINUES to make successful service update connections over the internet! Knowing that this special error screen is displayed for this problem and NOT when the mini is disconnected from the network is why any 1st-year rookie programmer could look at the code and very quickly find the routine that is in error and get it fixed.
But Tivo obviously does not care. I think they are happy that some sheep are willing to just throw more money at them to buy newer boxes instead of demanding that they fix what we already have.
I have the same issue. Just submitted: Case Number 09987983
Tivo replied this morning:
Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.
We're sorry to hear that you're having trouble connecting the TiVo Mini to your TiVo Premiere since the software of the Mini won't downgrade. We apologize for the trouble, we are currently aware of the issue with Minis and our team is still working on fixing this as quickly as possible. We already included your case to our tracker. As soon as we get this issue resolved, we will notify you through email. Thank you for your patience.
I haven't received a response to my support case. I've just requested a status update. I expect to get the same boilerplate response as you've received. We'll see.
This has been too frustrating for me to wait for a fix. I replaced one of my Premiere's with a 4 tuner model so I could use a mini upstairs. Obviously this hasn't worked out. I gave up and ordered a mini lux that's arriving today. Hopefully it will work. I'm still hoping for a fix for my A93, I guess I'll have a spare mini then.
I'm still following this thread and am really disappointed in TiVo. Almost 2 months now. After MANY hours of chats, calls, testing, and so on, I gave up a month ago and sold my A93 on ebay (with the disclaimer that it was for TE4 only) and then bought used Mini A95s that I could run on TE3. Screw TiVo...they really don't care anymore. I'm riding out my current boxes I have until they die and then cable company box (puke) or streaming only will be the route.
My mini lux arrived today and it downgraded with no issue and is up and running fine. It is disappointing and shouldn't be this difficult to get older mini's working with devices that are still supported.
I have the same issue with A93. TiVo will not disclose when or if the issue will be fixed.
Can someone verify that an A95 can be downgraded to te3 and work with a Romeo?
I just purchased a used A93. NOT KNOWING about this issue! I just got off the phone with support. He walked me through some steps "confirming" my Mini will not downgrade to te3, (Thanks). But I'll at least be kept up to date on the progress of this issue by email!
Looks like I'm going back to eBay for an A95
Really disappointing that Tivo has virtually, bricked, thousands of devices with nothing more than a dismissive "We'll send you an email"
I've been getting more and more disappointing with Tivo since the "Bent", oh, I mean, "Bolt" came out.
I have been with Tivo since the series1 but I've got to say with the way things are going especially now with the cc issue I think it's time to start unplugging Tivos and start experimenting with something else
for now I'm joining in:
Case Number 09987983
Multiple people have confirmed this.
Really sorry to hear that some folks are continuing to help this foul company profit by their unethical decisions. This problem would be extraordinarily simple to fix if they just wanted to do it.
I will stop using their products without hesitation before I ever spend another dime with them as long as these behaviors continue.
So i went on ebay and found a TE3 A92 mini for a good deal. As soon as i paid for it i saw bundle of a Mini Vox with a bolt for a steal of a deal so i got that too. The A92 just got here and it IS indeed on TE3.
When the Vox comes if that does indeed downgrade to TE3 I'm going to probably keep that and turn around and sell the A92 on Ebay. Unless someone here would be interested. I paid just under $50 out of pocket so I'd be happy to sell it to someone here for the same plus whatever shipping costs from Virginia. They're going for anywhere from low 40s to over 60 (plus tax and shipping) on Ebay but most people cant answer the TE3 question even if you give them pictures of what the UI looks like. It was really annoying finding one i was reasonably confident as to the version (and yes i can send a pic of mine for verification).
The A92 Mini only does TE3, so it can't/won't "upgrade" no matter what. The A93 supports TE3 and TE4, but the current situation is preventing the "downgrade" once it updates to TE4.
I found this out the hard way.. by buying an A93 on ebay to use with my Premieres at exactly the wrong time, when this issue first appeared. I've since bought an A92 to use, while the A93 sits in the closet (with my Sony DHG's... @JoeKustra )
Not true - I have A92's that are upgraded to TE4. Hoping they fix the issue preventing going back to TE3 cause I'm not at all happy with TE4. TE4 is the work of Dilbert's Pointy Haired boss!
I think you've missed most of this thread. My A92 upped to TE4. Would not downgrade. As have a ton people's A92s.
True for Premiere DVRs, but not for any version of Mini. Of course, if you only have Premiere DVRs, then your Mini’s won’t be able to upgrade to TE4.
Okay, then I'm mistaken. I do have only Premiere's. However when the A93 first arrived and I started the Guided Setup, it told me it needed to do a "Software Update" which I allowed it to do. From that point on the A93 was trouble, which I quickly learned was due to TE4. I then believed that the "Software Update" took my A93 from TE3 to TE4. If that wasn't the case then I have no idea what that update was. The link below is from the post I made while attempting the initial install.
Streaming from 2 tuner Premiere to Mini w/o Romio
Valid point. There is *that* method of a Mini getting updated to TE4, a flaw in TiVo’s setup and/or software update process in which they automatically update new(?) Mini’s to TE4 before bothering to check the host DVR’s software version. It’s possible that older A92 Mini’s are less likely to trigger the auto-update on setup. (speculation)