Trying to Move Mini from TE4 host to a TE3 Host

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by V7Goose, Nov 13, 2020.

1. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Two problems here:
    1: Mini will not downgrade to TE3,
    2: Getting repeated messages to "Please check your internet connection."

My A93 Mini has been working fine for years, and for the last two years it has been connected via MoCA and hosted by a Bolt running TE4 (for testing). I finally got so disgusted by that HORRIBLE software (and tired of hearing my wife yell at me about how bad it was that she cannot use that TV at all), so I decided to move it to be hosted by a Bolt running TE3. Should have been simple ...

Just going into the settings and changing the Host machine caused the Mini to start acting crazy - never got any message to downgrade or anything. I pulled the plug and rebooted. After it booted successfully, I got the screen where a cartoon dog is chewing on the wire, along with the message to check my internet connection.

So I ran an Ethernet wire from my router to the Mini and rebooted again. Still no joy. Lots of crazy stuff happening. Every reboot seems different. Some time it boots fine, but then when it connects to the TE3 host (Mini STILL running TE4 all the time), it flashed the screen every 5 seconds or so. Sometimes it will show the Now Playing list on the TE3 host OK, but when I try to select something, it goes back to the "check you internet connection" screen. etc. etc.

I tried "Clear and Delete Everything" on the Mini (no idea what there would be to "clear and delete", but did it anyway), hoping that would make it reload the original TE3 software. No joy. It did the the initial boots just fine, including multiple successful connections to TiVo for downloading 'stuff' and starting Guided Setup, but then after I selected the TE3 Bolt for the host, it went back to the "Check you internet connection" screen! I have even completely turned off the only TE4 box in the house (other than this Mini), and that made no difference at all.

Throughout all these attempts, if change the host back to the original TE4 Bolt, the Mini goes back to working perfectly.

Any ideas how to force this thing to go back to loading a decent UI instead of being locked into TE4?

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i remember reading another user facing the same issue (and troubleshooting dead ends) saying after a couple of days, their mini side-graded to te3 on it's own, eventually following the host. i'd leave the ethernet connected to the mini, though, just to be sure.

3. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I had seen something like these symptoms in old posts, but my searches turned up nothing. I'll try and leave it sitting for a few days with the host set to the TE3 box, just to see what happens.

It clearly is not a network issue, since the behavior is identical with either MoCA or wired Ethernet (and the problems stop as soon as I switch it back to the TE4 host). In fact, when the Mini is permanently stuck at the "check you internet" screen, just disconnecting the network wire from it causes that screen to go away and lets me get back into the menus and settings! It is almost like that stupid screen is really a 404 internet error, where it is trying to find the TE3 download page, but cannot.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    WS65711 likes this.
  5. WS65711

WS65711 OTA + Charter Cable

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana

Advertisements

Yes, this sounds exactly like the symptom I'm seeing.

I found this thread, but so far it's not presenting me with any "Downgrade" option...

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  6. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    WS65711, what software version is your Mini showing? I'll check mine shortly and post back. This comparison might tell us if this problem is specific to Minis running a certain version of TE4.

7. WS65711

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    I can no longer check anything since I'm caught in an endless setup loop. See the other post.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When it asks for you to choose a country, hit the remote's Info button. This should show you the current software version. This applies to all TiVo boxes.

9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Try booting with no network connection (no Ethernet or coax connected at all). My Mini boots normally like that (but I was not stuck in a boot loop). Also check out this post for a way to maybe break out of that boot loop:
    Mini start up screen and then shuts off

Just for future reference, My Mini is currently running 21.10.2.V3-A93-6-A93. This seems like the current public software release. The Bolt that it still works fine with is running 21.10.2.V3-USC-11-849.

When I try to switch the host to my TE3 Bolt, the Mini immediately starts flashing to the "check connection" screen and it eventually just locks up on that screen. But if I then disconnect the Ethernet cable, it allows me to hit the TiVo button and go into the menus like normal (that is how I switch it back to the hated TE4 Bolt, where it works again.

GAWD how I wish I had never touched this HORRIBLE CRAPPY SOFTWARE! What I learned by testing TE4 was in no way worth the ultimate pain and anger it has generated!!!!

10. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Another data point for reference:
    I tried checking the Diagnostics screen on the Mini to see if it had any useful info - it does not. That screen shows the same 'nothing' when connected to either the TE4 host or TE3 host. Under Cached ServiceLogin Response, the Authenticationstate says NOT_VALID, no matter if the Mini is working or not!

I also found that even while I left the Mini locked up on the "check connection" screen for an entire day, it DID update the Last Successful Connection date and time, so even in that state, it remained in contact with the mother ship.

11. WS65711

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    Using Joe's "Info Button" method, I am able to confirm that my A93 mini software version is the same as yours.. 21.10.2.V3-A93-6-A93

This video shows the loop in which I am currently stuck. I will look into the thread you linked with possible solutions, but unfortunately I don't have much time available this morning to mess with it.

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    That Guided Setup bootloop you describe (stuck at asking for country or zip code) sounds suspiciously like what we saw with older boxes that did not have the software updated when Bad_Rovi took over in early 2017. A box running pre-Rovi software that tried to do Guided Setup before it had a chance to download the new software (such as one that had been in storage) was incompatible with the database format changes, and it would get stuck in that exact same loop.

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, at least that means it is not stuck with really old pre-Rovi software - I guess that is a good thing...

But it confirms that whoever had that box before was using it with the TE4 garbage, so that looks like we have the exact same problem.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I see only two solutions to this problem. Return the Mini for one's without the TE4 software, or update TE3. The odds of a TE3 update are close to zero. I could try to duplicate your problem, but that might not be wise.

15. WS65711

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    I've managed to get past the setup loop problem that is shown in the video, but I'm not exactly sure of what I did. It involved disconnecting the ethernet cable and hundreds of rapid random keypresses on the remote, then reconnecting the ethernet cable. Suddenly then when it got to the "Preparing" step it actually completed it and did the remaining steps. So now I once again have a TE4 mini that won't connect to my XL4.

16. WS65711

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    I've already wasted what I consider to be too much time on this. I just went ahead and ordered an "A92" on Ebay to use for the current application. If the "A93" TE4-to-TE3 downgrade is ever solved I may use it on a seldom watched TV in another room, or eventually just sell it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I called TiVo about the issue this afternoon. I don't think the tech support person (Maria) ever really understood the problem. After a while she went to go "check on some stuff". Sometime after that the line went dead, then ultimately to a dialtone.

17. RC7

RC7 New Member

Nov 15, 2020
    I am experiencing the same issue. If i disconnect either the TE3 tivo host or my internet, the tivo mini acts fine. I am thinking that the tivo mini is trying to access the downgrade page, but it can't access the data, so it constantly loops. By disconnecting the internet or the TE3, it seems to interrupt the downgrade process. I had also tried to describe this to the Tivo Rep, but they didn't know what i was talking about and had me reboot everything, connect to the tivo service twice, and confirm DHCP was providing my IPs.

WS65711 likes this.
  18. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Maybe it is time to start getting the word out - TiVo has screwed us again. If you try TE4, you can never go back, at least with a Mini? Best to just never touch that garbage (if you have not already made that mistake).

If the Mini will not roll back today, how long before NOTHING will do it? Maybe this is just a temporary thing that will be fixed, but I'm not holding my breath on that. It seems more like just another nail in the coffin. I think TiVo has lost all credibility.

UCLABB likes this.
  19. WS65711

Feb 16, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    My "new" A92 mini is scheduled for delivery on Friday. I'm not sure why USPS is showing 5 days instead of 3, but maybe because it's shipping from PA. They do seem to do things really really slowly there.. :rolleyes:

krkaufman likes this.
  20. RC7

RC7 New Member

Nov 15, 2020
    I have an open ticket with tivo on the inability to downgrade my tivo mini to TE3.

V7Goose and WS65711 like this.