Trying to get rid of FiOS cable boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by SupportGT, Dec 18, 2017.

1. SupportGT

SupportGT New Member

Dec 18, 2017

Advertisements

Ok, new to this forum so please pardon if this has been already answered.

I have FiOS home DVR and 2 additional HD boxes. I want to get rid of all of them. I was thinking of purchasing TiVo BOLT VOXT and 2 additional mini's. I will get one CableCARD from FiOS. My question is, being that the Bolt i was thinking of getting (1TB) has 4 tuners, does that mean I can watch 3 channels simultaneously on the main Bolt and 2 mini's? If not, is that even possible? Appreciate your help. Thanks

2. JayMan747

JayMan747 Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Made the change about 2 years ago. FiOS had just changed their equipment pricing.

w\With the 4 Tuner Bolt and 2 minis, The Bolt will always have 1 tuner, and each mini in use will use a tuner. so that would leave 1 open to record or use the swap (right arrow) to go between the 2 tuners.

I have 3 mini's, but really only use about 1 at a time, (bedroom, patio, office), only had a problem once when Bolt was recording 3 things and I was watching some sports live, and wife wanted to watch something in bedroom. it was easy to stop the recording (it was a tivo suggestion) so no big deal.

3. SupportGT

SupportGT New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. So just for clarification, would it let me watch 3 different channels on each device simultaniously? E.g, On Bolt watch ABC, on 1st mini watch ESPN and on 2nd watch HBO live all at the same time (not previously recorded)? I am more concerned with watching live shows on each device all at once and not so much about recording multiple shows at the same time. Appreciate your response.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Yes.

It will do that.

-KP

rdrrepair and SupportGT like this.
  5. SupportGT

SupportGT New Member

Dec 18, 2017

Advertisements

Thanks!!! Sending FiOS equipment back tomorrow. Another question, is the programming guide available on all the 3 devices? Or just on Bolt and not on the Mini's?

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Mini's are, in fact, miniature TiVo's...nearly everything but the hard drive...

-KP

(That's a yes...)

SupportGT likes this.
  7. SupportGT

SupportGT New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    One other question, would I need a Cable Card for each box or only Bolt?

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    only bolt

SupportGT likes this.
  9. SupportGT

SupportGT New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Just realized that Mini's don't have Wi-Fi but only ethernet or MoCA. I do not have ethernet going to each of my TV's. How would MoCA work for me? Currently, each FiOS box has a coax cable connected to it. Do I have to buy some device that will connect/convert the coax between all the Mini's and somehow connect them to Bolt?

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I would hold off sending everything back until you got everything up and working. That could take a few days.

SupportGT likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're only sending back the FiOS TV equipment, you're keeping their gateway, right? Your FiOS gateway is currently providing the MoCA connection for your FiOS TV gear and the TiVos will be able to connect to it just the same.

'gist: You should be able to connect each TiVo box to the coax and configure each as a MoCA client.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Only the one CableCARD for the BOLT, as the Minis don't have any hardware for tuning a TV signal. The host DVR will tune any requested channel and stream the content, live or recorded, over the home network to the Mini.

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The short answer is no. With that model Bolt, you will have a total of 4 tuners to start with but the Bolt DVR will always reserve 1 tuner for itself, if you add 2 minis on live TV, you would only have 1 tuner left for recording at that time.
    This only applies if the minis are using live TV, if using them to watch a recording or using them to stream from some service like Netflix etc., they do not use up a tuner.
    It is a bit confusing because of the above and it is also the reason why some folks go for the "+" versions to gain an additional 2 tuners, or go for 2 of the 4 tuner versions but then you will have to pay for an additional cable card.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Doesn't that mean the short, if qualified answer is "yes"?

Personally, we went your (@fcfc2's) suggested route, 6 tuners, though our primary reason was to minimize the impact of padding recordings. We also added a 4-tuner Roamio OTA (antenna) to record PBS sub-channels not carried by our provider (Comcast) , plus another station Comcast is only broadcasting as SD.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    aaronwt likes this.
  15. Okiesnipe

Okiesnipe Member

Sep 5, 2017
    And a second Tivo service ???

16. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Tivo n00b

Aug 31, 2015
    I have a 4 tuner Roamio and 2 Mini's. It's just me and wife, and 2 young kids who don't watch TV without us yet. But we very rarely watch more than 1 "LIVE" TV at once. In fact, the only "LIVE" TV I watch is sports (sometimes) and local news. Everything else is recorded, which works out well as far as Tuners are concerned.

FIOS is possibly different, but I had to get a special "M-card" from my cable provider. The regular cable card wouldn't support more than one device,.

The only thing I'm missing is any of their on demand stuff. Which doesn't bother me, as I never watch pay-per-view, and any streaming stuff I watch thru my Roku's. I have never had good luck with the Tivo apps.

17. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry I just assume that most folks here either realize that or are smart enough to get a Tivo with lifetime service????

18. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    That's a very common scenario... You leave the FiOS router in place (probably the G1100? Or one of the ActionTec models?) -- and it is the "Ethernet to MoCA bridge" that would allow the TiVo minis to "speak" to the network.

So Verizon has done you a big favor and given you the MoCA bridge already... just gotta plug in the TiVo's and go! Connect the Minis to the coax cable and HDMI to the TV, and you're all set.

Just make sure you setup the Bolt+ fully before tackling the minis... it'll go smoother that way.

Congratulations and welcome! You're going to love it... FiOS + TiVo is an amazing combination... really works beautifully together.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good point, especially if the OP wasn't aware of this difference.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  20. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I hate the Verizon's DVR and cable offering but before you dump your FiOS cable boxes take a good hard look and make sure that the Bolt is actually working for you. I am in the same boat but so far the Bolt has made my FiOS DVR look like a state of the art machine. My Bolt has been problematic since day one. Simply accessing the apps caused the device to freeze solid on multiple occasions. It has also locked while attempting to access recorded programs. It even truncated one my recordings by almost and hour. Finally, the "Skip" feature is a joke and it rarely works.

Don't even bother if you need support. The off shore script readers will simply tell you to power cycle the device for ANY and ALL issues. Then if they get stuck, they'll put you on hold then hang up. Also, don't bother posting on the official Tivo forum as no one there ever answers questions and it's riddled with spam posts.

Finally, don't call the corporate office to speak to the escalation group. They will promise a call back but will never deliver.