Trying to fix Humax T800 TiVo DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Strilo, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1 of 45
    Strilo

Strilo New Member

Nov 4, 2007

Advertisements

I am trying to fix a major meltdown on my parents' TiVo Humax t800 Series 2 recorder. It was acting very glitchy, restarting and hanging on the Starting Up screen. Humax support basically wants them to buy a refurbished model. It seems to me that the software on the hard drive just became corrupt needs to be reinstalled. They had me try to do a kickstart but it would not even get past the first step.

I pulled the HD and checked it in Mac OS Disk Utility. The hard drive seems fine physically. I would like to image it with some sort of TiVo image. Is this possible? Is there an image out there for a Humax T800? Thanks!

2. Nov 4, 2007 #2 of 45
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  3. spolebitski

spolebitski Member

Mar 30, 2006
    My Tivo same model did this today. Humax and Tivo were real quick to say buy a new tivo. They wanted nothing to do with helping me or offering customer service. Tivo did say well humax is not our product, we just sell them, we do not offer any support even if you buy it from us.

What did you ever do? Did instantcake help?

4. moogoo112

moogoo112 New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    :mad: my t800 hard drive just broke too, just hangs after powering up. took it apart and its dead hard drive anyone have a image for this model? i have a few extra hard drives lying around.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

If the problem is truly in the hard drive(most of the time it is), and you merely need an image, there is no doubt that Instant Cake and a working drive will restore your Tivo to operability.

No doubt. Just make sure to get the version for your specific unit.

6. spolebitski

spolebitski Member

Mar 30, 2006
    new hard drive works, i put in a 80 gb that I had laying around and plan to purchase a new much bigger hard drive to replace the 80 gb replacement. I found InstantCake to be supper easy after I played with the program and my computer configuration.

7. Feb 2, 2011 #7 of 45
    bfutter2010

bfutter2010 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    anyone know where i can get a humax t800 image?

8. Feb 4, 2011 #8 of 45
    robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I can send you a T800 image I created with WinMFS. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it out.

robomeister

9. oarsman

oarsman New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Likewise, I've recently picked up a Humax T800 that has a dead hard drive. I dug out the Torx screwdriver and it looks like it's an 80GB Maxtor from 2004. When powered up, the disk makes the "clicking sound of death"!

10. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I have a prob with a Humax DRT400 that was fully functional with an "Unknown" subscription status, I had full recording functionality, it had not connected to service in years, I got into that dang guided setup(need to slap the jerk who made it to where you cant just back out...) and now it is useless...
    would like to get it back again.
    Thanks for any help.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need to complete GS. Of course, being that involves a connection to TiVo, it will get its actual service status which may be "boat anchor mode", where the only fix is to arrange a subscription.

12. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for info, yeah I had already done GS and then it no longer would record anymore... it had not connected in years.... I went to all the trouble of moving other VCR, DVD, cable boxes around for this to go up top by dvd, moved cable down to next shelf n all this rewiring now it is for nothing.... aaarrrgh!

Wish they had of a trial offer to chk out.
    Take care.
    D

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They do, but only for "new" boxes. You can subscribe and cancel within 30 days.

14. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Hmm, I would want it on this box that has the DVD-r on it so I can record stuff n then burn it for my bedroom DVD player cuz I usually like to watch things to go to bed by, dont really watch much in living room or when it is really on, was using VCR but it is getting old(and crummy quality) and acting stupid.

Thanks!

There has just GOT to be a way to get this back to where it was when I got it before I was FORCED to finish the dang guided setup, the dang GS invaded my personal property and changed it, I did not want it to do that, it forced to finish it, I DO NOT like to be forced, this is America where I am.... or was... I want the thing back to where it was when I jsut got it and did all this rearranging for it. after I unplugged it to rearrange everything all in different places for it to work, it no longer would after I unplugged and replugged so I could move it, I was soooo stoked, then it let me down after plugging it back in, now it is depressing...

Example: It is like I went to the car dealer and asked to check my car that was no longer under thier warranty and having thm say, well your car is no longer under our warranty so we are going to take your engine!!! Not right!
    Bah!
    Take care all.

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There is no way to get it to do what you want without subscriotion, which for ther most part licenses the TiVo software to do what it does, and you want it to.

In your case, you TiVo previously got in a state it is not really supposed to, in that it can manually record without a subscription. It just lost that state when it went through GS.

If you don't want to subscribe, your only opition is to buy another DVR/DVD reocorder.

16. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    OK, Thanks.

Anybody want a Humax Tivo mainboard lol. I wonder if I can build my own mini PC into that box setup just as a DVR. I had built one almost that small, a micro ATX not much bigger, modded this real small horizontally sitting case, extra fan holes etc. searched hi n low for a powerful enuff power supply small enuff to fit it, had to make a few cuts in case, I am not totally done yet, need more $$. It has a core2 Duo E7600, 4gb Dual channel DDR2-1066, low profile VGA etc.(looking at ATI HD5570 to put in, not gotten yet) little 60mm & 70mm fans in a few places. had to cut a hole in top of case also and put nice mesh grill screen there cuz CPU Heatsink/Fan (nice 120mm) is just a hair from touching flat against top lol. want to put a SSD in as main drive cuz it is small enuff to tuck away in ther and stays cooler and uses less power so I shuld be able to handle a velociraptor in main spot but as second drive, I was setting it up for all around use focusing a bit on recording/editing music. It should be zippy quick with those drives.

is a sub $19.00 a mo? Awfully steep for something I would use once in awhile! I really dont watch much TV only a few things like Lost when it was on, the V series, the unfortunately discontinued flash forward, not a whole lot else, some SyFy.

Cyas n Thanks anyway :0)

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No, the sub is $12.95/month, $129.95/Yr prepay. $19.95 is the rate for the retail sold TiVo Premieres, which are sold for up to $200 off the MSRP.

Personally, I would not try to put a PC in a TiVo case. What value your TiVo has is more in its case. There are plenty of SFF PC cases available, many "Home theater" friendly.

18. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks again,
    I would definitely consider a years service if just before year was up I could stop letting it phone home and it would keep recording like it did but just have no program info and kept nagging about it again, like it did before.
    hmm it would be cool if you could pay a year sub price for instead a functionality unlock, that maybe could be tied to your phone number, you would get no prog info, but it could record manually and by time/channel, it would chk every month and phone in from your number to make sure same person still had it, you would have to call them if changing phone number, they would get number from caller ID as it phoned in to verify it and the machine number matched, that would be cool for old Tivo owners who wanted to just use it as a DVR. :0) I think way too much! lol.

I about felt like throwing the thing after going thru all the rearranging of stuff just to have it not work once I re-plugged it, lol. It is still setup cuz I don't want to go to all the trouble reversing stuff, took me hours to get it all setup perfect, IR leds control the box fine n all. It still at least pauses live TV, whoopie... Oppressingly Depressing.

Ok, another poke from another angle, what about starting with a blank HD and running your own Linux on it? out there, somebody has done something to almost everything out there, I would think there are 100's(at least) of people who have figured out how to unlock this thing or made thier own system for it, what ever state mine was in, if it got there somehow it is only logical that it can be done again, this thing is sooo old the have long since made thier money on it and this model. I bet you if they were going belly up then it would come out from one of the Horses mouths(if not too many years have gone by that all those horses (that know that model) have left the Ranch and can no longer be found, lol.)
    I did read a post somewhere that one Tivo person said that unlocks would be revealed in the event of Tivos' demise.

I am very stubborn, I don't believe horoscope but the root of it seems to have some basis, I am a Taurus and the more original traits described are on spot, ha. ADHD, n Anxiety don't help tho, I needed an answer to this like an hour after it freaking on me at the most, it is painfully aggravating, lol.

I dont take no easy when I am sure there is some possibility... :0) Don't give up, don't give in, fight for whats right and we all can Win!!!

I am about ready to call Tivo and suggest my idea to them.

Thanks for the Replies Classic!
    D

19. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I think your best option is to buy a DVD DVR Toshiba or Pioneer for $30-$60 that has Tivo basic subscription on ebay. They don't sell for much and U get the 3 day subscription instead of 7 day, but that is OK. U don't get the broadband subscription either. I have a couple of those, and they work great. My friend has had one for 5 or 6 years and no problems at all.

Don't waste your time calling to Tivo to make suggestions such as yours. The call center agents have no say in providing different services, and there is no motivation for Tivo to do what U suggest.

20. Dimitri

Dimitri New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info ReplayTV, I will look into one of those, :0)

I just went in and insulted the old Tivo, won't repeat it here, lol. Need to sell it before I throw it, it really P'd me off. I build my own Computers, some electronics, repair & modify my own car and pretty much can make things how I want them and do what I want them to do, and usually can McGyver something into whatever, lol.
    Got an old 1970 American AMC car and when I am done it will have a mixture of better possible upgrade parts on it spanning over 20yrs! for example: doors from an '85, the Head(for the engine) is from a `95 eagle that works on the 1972 engine with minor fuss, and has larger intake valves, and setup for unleaded, better combution chamber, better flowing intake ports. also an electronic ignition, and have an old MSD multispark for more efficient burn. A delay sweep windshield wiper circuit(my own design), and more. all improvements.
    I'm going for high efficiency to gain more more power, want to make it get good mileage, thusly lower emissions, but still have quite some Spirit.

Just want to make something work for me legally. So heading to eBay now to see.

Thanks again all.