Trying Tivo Premiere with cable card - question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by randy1649, Apr 18, 2011.

1. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Just a quick two questions.
    I ordered 2 tivo premiere's. Also ordered two cable cards (mediacom).

1. Anyone know if the pay channels (HBO, MAX, etc) come thru with using a cable card? (I can't get a straight answer from mediacom)

2. Tivo Premiere has dual tuners. Can tivo and a cable card record 2 cable tv shows at once using the cable card? (2 HBO shows at once?)

I know tivo has dual tuners but I don't know if the cable cards do dual also?

2. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    The Tivo requires an M-Card which has 2 tuners built in. With am M-Card you can do what you are asking.

3. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    1. Your premium channels will come through, but you may need a tuning adapter if your provider uses Switched Digital Video.

2. It can record 2 shows at a time. However, the only way it could record two shows on HBO at a time is if they were on different channels (1500, 1501). It can only record things as they air :)

4. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks so much!
    Yea thats what I meant, record two premium's at once, like 1 hbo and 1 max.
    Guess I'll find out if mediacom does the "M" card or not.
    mediacom hasn't been very helpful. Every time I call mediacom & ask I get one of three answers as to cable cards and premium channels.
    1. Yes, I think, Im not sure?
    2. No.
    3. I don't know.

I know on demand wont work, but I never use on demand.

5. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Yep. As long as you get someone that knows how to properly pair the cards to activate them, then you will be fine.

6. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Is there possibly a newer technology card than the "M" being used?
    (now that digital and HD 1080p is available from cable)

7. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that no one is yet broadcasting in 1080p & I'm not aware of a cable content provider that has this capability yet! The cable companies are more interested in making more 3D content available at the present time (I'm hoping the general consumers get a little more sophisticated then having interest in 3D)

8. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    FYI/If you can call in an "on demand" order, you can likely view it. Depends.

9. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Well looks like my tivo's are "out for delivery" today.
    Anything I should know on initial setup?
    Are the "update(s)" automatic or can they be forced in the settings menu?
    Mediacom cablecards coming Saturday. Some here say to make sure all and any updates
    are applied before installing the cablecard(s).
    I really hope this works out. I've read many posts where tivo users are not very
    happy with these newer units.

10. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Updates are applied at the initial setup. Allow yourself a good hour for everything to complete. Be patient. You won't necessarily see a progress indicator throughout the full setup.

11. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm going to play the optomist here & mention that most of us who populate these forums only make up a negligable perctentage of people who actually have this equipment. The bottom line is that if you should receive a unit that is a real "lemon" by all means return it for one that operates as outlined by the manufacturer. Just remember you "have" a heads up concerning some things that may be "buggy".(I was'nt thrilled about using the HD menu so I switched to the SD menu. The HD menus are too bogged down w/ trying to give you encyclopedic amount of information so your efforts to select what you are trying to do appears slow & somewhat unresponsive. The "plain Jane" SD interface operates as it should (Tivo are you listening) "it's an interface". One other thing, just remember to sing that Monty Python song "The Brighter Side of Life"

12. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Got the boxes. Everything went exceptionally well and fast. Both were setup within an hour and that included the updates.
    My only issue is trying to set the remote address on these 2 tivo's.
    First of all, I powered off the one tivo I was not working on.
    I went into the sys info menu & to remote address on the other powered unit.
    Hit PAUSE+TIVO. Entered #1.
    Hit right arrow.
    On the sys info it changed the remote address to #1. Then hit the tivo button to get out of that menu.
    However...
    If I grab the other remote, it still operates the unit.
    When i go back into sys info-remote address its showing back to "0".
    If I then grab the remote set to #1, and hit anything (volume or any key), the sys info shows remote address back to #1.
    Its like the remotes address can be changed, but the tivo box recognizes any remote with any address used on it. Unit remote address keeps switching to whatever address of the remote used on it.
    Like the remote address is locked to the remote, but not locked to that box.
    (Im still searching the forum for an answer)

BTW... the menus are very fast. I can see the HD menus act a little different and the SD menus may be a tad faster.
    All I can really tell is with the HD menus you get that little live tv picture in the upper right. And no live tv box with SD menus. Thats the only big difference. So I guess its ones taste to go with live tv box HD menus, or no live box.

13. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You seem to be following the instructions in "Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes" except (1) you didn't mention holding PAUSE + TiVo "for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up" (but I assume you did), and (2) you didn't mention using a similar procedure to set the other TiVo and its remote to code 2 (so did you?). I think a remote that's still coded 0 will control any TiVo; and maybe it can also change settings, because they add, "NOTE: To prevent a remote address from changing accidentally, do not leave either TiVo box on the System Information screen."

14. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I held the PAUSE+TIVO for the 5 seconds. The light on these tivo remotes are yellow (or amber).
    The sys info page did report a change to remote address from 0 to 1 after i hit the right arrow.
    Then I hit the TIVO button to get out of that sys info menu.
    So one remote has been changed to "1", and I even set the other remote to "2".
    However no matter what remote I use (remote addressed#1 or addressed#2) the one tivo unit itself switches its corresponding address to match whatever remote is used at that time. Only after I go back into the sys info page do i see the address has again changed back to the last remote used on the unit.
    The only difference I came across searching the forum so far is after assigning the remotes address, hit the up or down arrow. Did not say anything about hitting the right arrow when finalizing the addressing process.
    So I don't know if there is still another step after the new address is reflected on the sys info page, to LOCK that into the unit itself?
    Like then hitting ENTER or ?
    And maybe Im not exiting out of the sys info menu properly after the process?
    Its like even though I leave that sys info menu, the TIVO unit is still in address assignment mode.
    The new address is not staying locked in on the TIVO unit itself.
    The remote address has changed successfully on the remote itself, but the TIVO unit switches addresses back and forth to allow any remote address to operate the unit.
    I am starting to believe there is a difference in procedure to set remote address on these newer TIVO units than was the case with the older TIVO models...?
    The remotes are assigned the same, and that works fine.
    But the TIVO PREMIERE units act like another step is needed after assignment to actually LOCK in that code.

15. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Ok, I found out whats going on with the remotes.
    Anytime you are in the sys-info menu screen displaying the remote address page, if you aim "any" tivo remote and hit "any" of the keys on the remote, the TIVO unit will change to the address of that remote, whatever it is. Once you leave the sys-info menu screen, the remote address last set (or used) on the unit sys-info menu screen will stay and LOCK in the unit and the unit will only respond to that matching remote address last set once you leave the sysinfo menu.
    That is... unless you go back into the sys-info menu screen and accidentally grab the wrong TIVO remote and push "any" button on the wrong remote, the TIVO unit will keep the last remote address uaed. So when displaying the sys-info menu screen/remote address page, do not grab and suddenly use the wrong TIVO remote. That will change the remote address held by the TIVo unit.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes but you don't necessarily need to point it at the TiVo. I can't point my remote in any direction, even at the floor behind the couch, and my Premieres will receive the signal from the remote.

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Sounds like one of two things, bad cards, or the tech has no clue how to pair the card to your unit...

I had mine added this past Jan, the first card paired up without a hitch, plus it helped the tech knew what he was doing...

good luck