1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

try to fix roamio or upgrade to bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jml74, Jun 5, 2018.

1. jml74

jml74 New Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I have a Roamio that I think the drive has died on. I get lights on the front and the network port, but after the "almost there, just a few minutes more..." screen I don't get anything on the TV. (Even at that point the remote light responds and I see lights on the network port.) Apparently I can replace it with a Bolt for not a lot of money, but I've been pretty happy with the Roamio and don't really know anything about the Bolt. So, my questions are:

- Does this sound like a dead drive?
    - Is it still possible to upgrade the drive on a Roamio? I haven't done any drive swaps since the TiVo HD.
    - If I can drop a new drive in there and potentially get the old drive limping along, can I copy shows from old to new?
    - Should I just give up on the Roamio and go with the Bolt?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Drives up to 3TB can just be straight installed into Roamio and BOLT DVRs and the DVR will initialize the disk.

A drive migration via MFS Tools 3.2 may not be successful, but it might not hurt anything to try. Worst case, you just reset the new drive and drop it into the Roamio.

Though you might just want to drop a fresh drive into the Roamio before burning too much time, to make sure that it *is* just a drive issue.

jml74 likes this.
  3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    If you're proceeding past the 'Almost There...' message, there's a possibility it's booting up.

Maybe the Screen Resolution being output has become incompatible with your TV? The Up Arrow cycles through the TiVo output resolution.

Can you access the TiVo with KMTTG?

-KP

jml74 likes this.
  4. jml74

jml74 New Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I don't think it's the resolution, but I'll double check. I also wasn't familiar with KMTTG until now, but I downloaded it and I'll play around with it to see if I can get anything out of it. Fry's has WD Red 2 TB drives on sale for $64 right now, so I went ahead and got a couple anyway. I had never upgraded this one from the 500GB stock HDD, and I also have a Pro that's still got the original 1 TB, so worst case is I put a drive in the Roamio, it doesn't work, and I put it in the Pro and return the unopened other drive.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Pro has a 3tb drive, a Plus has a 1tb Drive.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. jml74

jml74 New Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Thanks for catching that. I was going off of memory and hadn't really had to think about it in a while since everything was Just Working, but it's actually a Roamio Plus that I have as my other device. I was pretty sure that whatever it was only had a 1 TB drive, but it's always good to verify.

krkaufman likes this.