Truncated transfers from Series2->Premiere or Series2->Desktop

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tivohackerdude, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tivohackerdude

tivohackerdude New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Hi,
    I have a Series 2.
    For some of my existing recordings, when I transfer them from the Series 2 to a Premiere or to my Desktop, the recording is truncated and only transferred partially.

For example, one show that I recorded a couple of years ago is an hour long, but when it transfers, the resulting transfer is only ~3 minutes long, and no error is reported. On the Desktop (PC), I can see that the .tivo file is just 35mb in size.

For one recording where this happens, I successfully transferred it in full in the past, but now when I try to re-transfer it, it gets truncated (to about 71% in this case). This only happens for a small subset of my recordings. For example, I just transferred about 65 shows, and less than 10 of them seem to have this issue. I've never seen it happen before.

I should note that if I play the show on the TiVo, I can play it in its entirety and it isn't as if it stops early or something.

Could this be a disk corruption issue where the TiVo will play the show and just skip over a corrupted section, but when doing a transfer to another TiVo or to the Desktop, it halts the transfer when it gets to the corrupted section?

The problem is consistent for a given subset of recordings, meaning that it isn't like I have a network problem or something. The recordings in question will not transfer even when re-tried, and always seem to truncate at the same point, whereas others that work will consistently work.

Is there anything I can do? Would extracting the show directly from the TiVo's hard drive (rather than transferring it over the network) perhaps result in success?

Thanks

2. tivohackerdude

Oct 28, 2003
    Update: from testing on the TiVo further, it is clear that there is probably some corruption, since a test video stutters for a second at the same point where the transfer is truncated. But as I said above, the TiVo gets past the stutter and plays onward normally.

Is there any way to force the equivalent of a chkdsk/fsck?

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Usually when this happens it's due to a glitch in the video stream (as you saw, with the stutter). It's not a problem with the file on the disk so running a disk check won't help.

If you're able to download the recording from the S2 with TiVo Desktop (you may run into the same partial/truncated download) you could run it through something like VideoReDo's Quickstream Fix and then maybe it would transfer completely to your other TiVos.

4. tivohackerdude

Oct 28, 2003
    How can you tell that it's not a problem with the file on disk and/or the TiVo filesystem, partition, or drive? What is the "video stream" other than a file on disk in the MFS, really? I guess maybe you mean that the file is intact but its contents are corrupt, and that's why a disk check won't help, which makes sense. (although I am curious as to how you know, but this may all be pointless since I don't know if there even is an MFS disk check tool)

I don't think it was a glitch in the original source video from my cable provider's coax, since like I said, at least one of these shows successfully transferred without truncating in the past.

Anyways, I am not able to download the recording fully to anywhere - TiVo Desktop or TiVo-to-TiVo transfer. The only way I know that it is not actually truncated on the TiVo is that I can watch it in full.

There is definitely something wrong with the TiVo's ability to read the recording, though. In other words, if it were just a glitch in the incoming video from my cable provider, this seems like something that would be irrelevant to the TiVo's ability to transfer that recording in full.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Transfer as much as you can to your PC or Premiere. Then go to the exact point on the S2 where the transfer fails and pause it JUST past the glitch.

At that point you can transfer the remainder to your Premiere by choosing the "transfer from pause" option. Since v0p8l of kmttg came out in November it also has that option.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I don't know for sure, but can only guess based on your description of the problem. And if you search this forum for "partial download" or "truncated transfer" you'll find all sorts of people with this exact problem and it's always some sort of weird glitch in the video. Try ggiesske's suggestion and transfer it in two chunks.

As for the MFS disk check, you could try a kickstart 57 to force a GSOD or just a kickstart 54 to run the regular hard drive tests.

7. tivohackerdude

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks to both of you. I will try the above and see if it helps.

8. tivohackerdude

Oct 28, 2003
    Update: "Transfer from pause" (via kmttg) worked perfectly. So I am able to get the pre-glitch and post-glitch part of the recording successfully. Thanks again. I'll probably try the kickstart codes after fetching all of the "pairs of parts" surrounding glitches safely.

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    That's smart. If it really is the hard disk starting to go bad, the kickstart tests could stress it even worse.