True cost of program scheduling?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fotoryder, Aug 30, 2007.

1. fotoryder

fotoryder Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Sulphur...
    I was looking at the MythTV website, and see that they are now switching from free scheduling services to a subscription service, apparently using Tribune Media Services. Initial subscription is $15.00 for 3 months, with a goal of $20.00/year for subscription. Since this is apparently a true non-profit, running on donated labor, this would put the cost of scheduling data at $1.00~$1.50 per month per subscriber.

See the information at Myth TV:
    http://mythtv.org/

and Schedules Direct:
    http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Don't quote me on this, but I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that TiVo pays about $2.50 or so for the guide data, per subscriber. This is from memory though, I could be wrong. Maybe I shouldn't even have answered in the first place. :)

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    And this is kind of an irrelevant question anyway - what Tivo pays doesn't really matter. Some people remain under the mistaken impression that "Tivo service == guide data".

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Well, ideally, cost is always irrelevant to the question of pricing. Pricing should be based on value (what the market is willing to pay for something) rather than based on cost.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Also the guide data TiVo gets is cleaned up and tweaked specific to TiVo use. Plus TiVo has a relationship with tribune in order to get gudie listings fixed in a timely manner or add in new ones as they become known.

What level of service is the MythTV guide subscribers getting?

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's not like Myth TV is subsidizing the cost of the hardware.

7. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Ideally (from a consumer stand-point) it is just the opposite. In a perfectly competitive market price will be based exclusively on the cost of providing the service, including a reasonable rate of profit for the owners/investors.

In the real world there is rarely anything close to perfect competition, so price is based both on costs and the demand from consumers as a given price.

8. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Ideally (from a consumer stand-point) it is just the opposite. In a perfectly competitive market price will be based exclusively on the cost of providing the service, including a reasonable rate of profit for the owners/investors.

In the real world there is rarely anything close to perfect competition, so price is based both on costs and the demand from consumers as a given price.

9. beboyle

beboyle New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Arizona
    In a pure capitalistic economy Price is based on Demand and Availability. Cost only becomes an important factor if a product becomes a commodity - e.g. no significant differentiators between sources. You seem to be defining a "perfectly competitive market" as one where every product is a commodity, which is not necessarily true.

10. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Actually that is how I believe a perfectly competitive market is defined. Mind you, this is just the market for the one good, not the overall "market."

11. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Ideally
    there would be true competition and there would be choices of guide providers. MythTV and others (like TiVo) would have multiple guide data providers competing for our business. Right now you really must select the hardware/guide data package that suits you.

If a 'better' guide solution comes along we must abandon our current platform and move on. MythTV and other computer platforms must compete more because many OS/program choices already exist and are hardware compatible.

Price/perfomance does not always directly relate but in general choices are a good thing to have, after our hardware choice what options do we have...

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But I think it's reasonable that that's the *majority* of what one gets for their service payment.

Personally, if the software updates (what else do you get?) were separate and reasonably priced, I'd be happier with that model -- pay for software updates if you want the new features.. otherwise pay a much lower fee just for the guide data. (I would hope/expect that serious, i.e. crashing, bug fixes would be free or VERY inexpensive.)

Heck, right now I wish that what people have called the 'folder bug' were fixed on my S3. (go to to do list, view upcoming on a particular episode, change the recording to a DIFFERENT instance of the same show... left arrow -- now you're at some OTHER item in the to do list. The situation happens in a few other places that seems even weirder.) I'd pay a couple bucks to get that fixed sooner rather than later.

I've got lifetime subscriptions on my existing Tivos, because it makes more sense to me to do it that way.