True Blood: 8/28/2011 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dimented, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Wow, No thread yet?

I thought it was a pretty slow episode. Although I did like Jessica saying "I don't care so long as I get to kick some ass" or something to that affect. Also liked Bad Ass Eric being back. He is such an amazing actor. You could tell just by his eyes that he was back to the old Eric. Very impressed with his acting this season. And loved the line: "He is lovable isn't he?".

2. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm so glad that Real Eric is finally back. And his wardrobe. I wanted more of his smirking bad-assness and less mooning over Sookie, but I did like that "he is lovable" line.

I enjoyed Fort Bellefleur. Terry as a drug counselor is pretty funny. I just want that Andy-hooked-on-V storyline to be over.

And Tommy was certainly not a favorite character, but I was sad to see him go anyway. That kid did not have much of a chance in life. But the death scene was weird. I have a hard time believing that Sam would just stand around and watch him die without doing anything to try to save him.

My favorite scene in the whole ep was probably the vamps all arguing while they were in the silver. They are supposed to be killing machines but they were arguing like little kids.

3. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I expected Tommy to ask Sam to finish him off so Sam could be a skin walker too.

4. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I was expecting that same thing through that whole scene. I am glad they did not go that route.

5. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I think what Jessica said was actually "...so long as I get to kill people" (it stuck in my mind as being a bit out of character for her). Jessica has had a pretty tangled character arc. I'm not sure if it is character development or just inconsistent writing. I remember at one point, early on, she was interesting for being kind of unpredictable and violent - I had the sense that she could go off the handle at any moment. Then she got very toned down. Now she's back to nearly psychotic? I feel like I don't quite have a handle on her personality.

I agree that Alexander Saarsgaard (sp?) is a good actor. I liked his portrayal as puppy-dog amnesiac Eric. Unlike you, though, I didn't really see a return to his pre-amnesia Eric character (though I know that's what was intended). He seemed just the same as in last week's episode pretty much, to me.

I kept giggling at the fact that he was essentially hypnotized (under Marnie's spell), saying "I must kill... the King."

[​IMG]

6. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Another great job by Askars- you could see the very subtle change in his eyes between AmnesiaEric and RealEric.

Book people-
    as for him getting his memory back while Debbie Pelt still lives? Guess he won't be hiding the body after all?

And more Nan please- "I, myself, am a trained, caring and certified first responder."
    She and Bill have great chemistry.

The whole Sookie and the Scooby Gang black leather vamp death squad with slo-mo and metal was a bit much, though.

And I just loved the whole Fort Bellefleur vibe- in many respects Terry really is the most special man in the whole series- he's just so true.

7. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Eric back + Tommy gone = Winning!!!

8. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I think Jessica has been pretty consistent. She's supposed to be a teenage girl, with all the accompanying moodiness and temper tantrums.

But she's also a new vampire. So she has all these new vampire urges to kill people and eat them, and she struggles with how to control those urges, but because she loved Hoyt, and he gave up so much to be with her, she was trying very hard to live a monogamous human lifestyle.

But now it's over with Hoyt, and he was very cruel to her, and then she went to Jason and he humiliated her and upset her by telling her he wanted to forget they were ever together . . . well now she's all screw it! and screw them (humans). I'm a freaking vampire! There is no reason for her to pretend otherwise anymore, she wants to give in to all those urges to kill and to eat. And now she even has a chance to go on a killing spree with her maker and other vampire brethren, even better.

9. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I think Jessica says, "As long as I get to kill some sh$t".

Weird episode. The death scene with Sam's brother was really strange as well. They are just standing around talking while he dies?

10. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    At first I thought you were talking about Eric, Pam, Jessica, Bill coming out of the van, but they are not Scoobies and Sookie was not with them. So I guess you were talking about Sookie, Lafayette, Jesus, and Jason. But they did not have black leather and slo-mo and metal. Hmmm.

Anyway, I did not like the scene with the vamps and the van. It makes no sense that four vampires would attack a necromancer without any human backup. Why do they suddenly think they can avoid mind-slaving by Antonio?

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Oh that's what happened... riiiight... ;)

I think the idea was they were going to firebomb the place before Antonia had a chance to come out and mess with them. I do agree the whole thing is stupid though.

12. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't understand what you mean. :confused:

Jason asked her to glamour him and she was really upset by that request because it meant that he wanted to forget about their night of passion du pickup. You don't think she was genuinely upset about that? I think she was hurt and pissed off, both.

From Jason's point of view, it made sense, because he knows that he won't be able to look at Hoyt without his face spilling his secrets. When Hoyt came to Jason's to cry (I'm not crying!) about Jessica, Jason couldn't even look at him. Hoyt is going to figure it out pretty quickly.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was so soap opera over-the-top, I was half expecting Tommy to gurgle, fall over endlessly (like Pee Wee Herman in Buffy the Vampire Slayer), then sit up and yell "PSYCH!" Weird tone problems in this episode.

Interesting twist to see that Marnie is the psycho in the Antonia-Marnie relationship.

I also hope that this is the season when Sookie stops being Little Miss Helpless Super-Goddess and just frikkin' saves the day!

14. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I guess. Of course, it does not take a vampire to shoot an RPG or trigger a bomb -- a mercenary would be a better choice. Or, I suppose, send one vampire in at superspeed to lob a bomb and then motor out of there and let the mercenaries check to see if Antonia/Marnie is dead.

15. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Especially since the whole point of wanting to kill her is that she can control the dead. (She can't control the living human mercenaries).

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think he's bemused by your lopsided take on the situation, where is seems like you feel that Jessica has just been the blameless victim in all this. But maybe it was just your word choice.

I think her anger over the request was rather hypocritical, given the fact that after she confessed to Hoyt about feeding on another man and he was so upset about it, she turned around and glamored him to forget she ever said anything.

17. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    In fairness, the human mercenary v. witches thing didn't work out so well in the forest just a couple weeks ago.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I was going to say something like this myself but then I realized Antonia doesn't seem to have any problem casting spells that affect humans as well as vampires. We don't really know what her powers are.

:up:

I have no problem with Jessica's decision: why shouldn't she decide to break up with Hoyt? (Although it did make me laugh, comparing Jessica's dream of how the break-up would go vs. the reality, a couple of episodes ago.)

It's probably healthy for her to drink, er, see other people at her age. I just don't think she has much in the way of moral high-ground in this little love triangle.

19. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    She was feeling so bad about the whole event which is what led to her wanting to break up with Hoyt and that is why she didn't want to use it on Jason.

20. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    We know that she can mind-slave vampires, and she apparently cannot do the same thing to normal humans. Being mind-slaved by your opponent is a huge disadvantage in a fight, wouldn't you say?