True Blood 408 - "Spellbound" 8/14/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tracy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I enjoyed this episode. Glad they are beginning to clarify the demon baby story line but does it have nothing to do with baby's father?

I was utterly shocked when Jessica killed Hoyt and then relieved that it was a dream.

The whole witch/vampire battle was confusing as heck, particularly the start of it. Eric knocked into someone (who looked like Pam) and was then holding a heart. We rewatched it a few times and figured it wasn't Pam and just some random witch.

Glad Bill saved Tara but I'm not sure she deserved it. She should know better than to try to extinguish a whole....race?.....of people.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It was not Pam. It was a blond woman from the coven.

That fight scene was terrible. The witch called up a fog, and that supposedly neutralized all the mercenaries? The mercenaries should have been kicking ass, or at least capturing all the witches. A little fog would not stop them. Instead, the mercenaries just seemed to drop out of the battle. Add to the mercenaries several super-speed vampires, and Antonia apparently only able to engage one vampire at a time, and there is simply no excuse for any of the coven to escape (except Tara, who Bill let go).

I think the reason it seemed confusing to you is because it WAS confusing. It felt like the writers needed for the coven to come out much better than they should have, but they did not bother to write anything to make it plausible. So, the writers just tried to cover everything up with the fog of battle.

EDIT:
    I think the vampires really need to invest in some body armor, or at least kevlar vests to stop wooden and silver bullets.

3. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree, the whole Rumble in the Graveyard was extremely confusing. I rewinded and it was still confusing.

Eric attacked first . . . but who? Why not Marnie-Antonia? And then it was all a confusing mess until Sookie got shot and Alcide swooped in. I wish Bill had not saved Tara from Pam, but it wasn't surprising.

I am so tired of AmnesiaEric. It started off well, but now, ugh. Enough already. Badass Eric, please come back. Soon.

My favorite part of this episode was the Jessica-Hoyt-Jason story. I loved the contrast between how Jessica envisioned the breakup and how it actually went. Brutal. But what was she thinking going to Jason? Bros before hos, Jessica, you should know that by now. :p Go to Bill to cry on his shoulder, not Jason.

Given how Jason is not usually one to turn down a gorgeous female, I was actually impressed with his telling her to go away and rescinding her invitation. I doubt his conviction to be loyal to Hoyt will last long, since he's Jason and all, but it was nice to see that his first instinct was to think of Hoyt.

4. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Sometimes I wonder how mindful series writers are of the fact that their characters' dialog can and often is easily used in snarky video reviews. Some dialog (like Sookie's line when she finds out about faeries, or in this episode Pam's saying "This is so. F****ing. Lame!") just seems like it is inevitably going to find its way into a review where it will be used as a commentary on the show itself. Why write a line like that? Is it Ball just being self-aware and hanging a lampshade on it?

I thought this was a pretty strong episode.

5. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I forgot to say how much I enjoyed Sam's brother dressed as the older woman. His hair and makeup was priceless.

6. nexter

nexter New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    lol it was that kind of weird funny when Tommy said "anything i can do to sweeten the pot" ...personally I was like..ewwwwwwwwwwwww no >.>

7. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Zero point two seconds of warrior Eric in the graveyard was a welcome thing after all these weeks of puppy Eric.
    And that little interlude in Narnia?
    Puppy Eric and Sookie were both tripping on "V"?
    Weird, out of place, and ridiculous.

We've always known that Alan Ball prefers Vampire Bill as his leading man and I am coming to the opinion that he is writing this schmoopy Eric as intentionally unfulfilling just to annoy all the Askars fans who annoy him so badly.
    Because if two feet is all we're going to get of the shower scene we can just all move on now and let this little amnesia thing go. Although as poorly as the Eric/Sookie pairing has been done I shouldn't expect any better.
    I'm gonna have to reread book four just to get the stench out of my mind.

Loved Tommy as Maxine- the hair and makeup especially.
    Actors must love this type of thing.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And what does it say about him that he did a much better job of imitating her than he did Sam? :D

9. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Hah! I thought exactly the same thing! :D

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think that's the beginning of the fairy subplot re-emerging...

11. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    It's interesting the battle between the witches and the vampires. That occurs at the end of the book, and the whole thing is over and done with (and the fog is in a building - meant to keep people from seeing the witches and be able to fight). I guess the writers put it in the cemetary just to keep from having to worry about the vampires getting into a building without permission (they were going to use Elvis/Bubba for that in the books - I kinda miss Bubba's character).

12. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    I don't get how the Alpha-wolf greasy dirtbag guy was married to the shifter hottie. They seem from totally different classes of people. That just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I am guessing crazy Debbie is going to hook up with Alpha loser and they will be two happy dirtbags together.

I like the SFX of Jessica being thrown out of the house when permission to enter is removed. Very violent and instant.

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah, that Narnia thing was strange and I didn't like it.

Agree with the comments about the graveyard scene. How about shooting her as soon as she starts to speak/cast?

Love'd Pam's line about this being f*cking lame as that is exactly what I was thinking....I sure was hoping that was going to be the end of tara!

and who didn't know Alcide was immediately going to run to Sookie's? Why would his girl even leave him alone?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Apparently, you are not entirely clear on the concept of "alpha wolf"... ;)

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Hot chicks always go for the bad boys. :)

16. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    btw...I do love how Jessica got "rescinded" twice. Sometimes I wish I could do that at my house! lol

17. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It makes as much sense as gorgeous sweet Alcide sticking with crazy trashy Debbie.

There HAS to be another chick around in the werewolf community that is more appealing than her. Maybe if she were super hot, that would explain it. But no.

Actually, it makes more sense that Luna was was with the greasy dirtbag because he IS the Alpha-wolf -- the leader of the pack. Power attracts the girls. Or so Henry Kissinger said.

18. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    I don't usually fall for the dreams, but that one got me! I think it was the suddenness of the kill! I think I screamed at the TV before I hit rewind.

19. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Me too. For the first couple of minutes, I kept looking at the guy wondering if they just picked an actor who looked way too much like the pack leader.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ALPHA WOLF.

I.e., big dog.

Leader of the pack.

Best catch around.