True Blood 10/5/08 "Sparks Fly Out"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1 of 30
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

"Do I look stupid?" :D

2. Oct 6, 2008 #2 of 30
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Despite the fact that not too much happened (until the end) I thought this was a great episode. Bill's speech was very moving and the story of how he became a vampire very interesting.

One minor complaint and this has happened every week. During the last scene when something "shocking" happens they always focus on Suki's face too long and she has no reaction. She just finds her beloved Gran dead and she doesn't react.

Not read the book etc. so I don't know the reveal of barkeep and dog but they certainly pointing the finger.

I think this is the best show on TV right now.

3. Oct 6, 2008 #3 of 30
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I am really sad to see Gran go. WTF?

Also, the rednecks had some sort of press in the church. Garlic? Seemed like a poorly thought-out attack if that's what it was supposed to be.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #4 of 30
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    "redneck" and "well thought-out" don't generally share the same zip code. ;)

However, Bill did appear to react slightly and briefly to the smell.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #5 of 30
    nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area

Advertisements

Fresh squeezed garlic when you're not expecting to smell it? Anyone would react to that smell! :)

6. Oct 7, 2008 #6 of 30
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Especially someone with heightened senses. And that was my take on it, annoyance.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #7 of 30
    ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    What is everyone's take on Lafayette trying to further hook Jason on V? My thought is that his reasons go beyond a dealer trying to hook a user. I think he is trying to keep Jason from Terra. Of course Terra is smart enough to know where Jason is getting it. This time she might be the one with the baseball bat!

8. Oct 7, 2008 #8 of 30
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, that was my interpretation too.

The garlic thing was just another example of a bunch of dumb hicks acting on stereotypes. In this universe, garlic has no particular effect on vamps; just like the cross doesn't.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 30
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    BTW, the next time I'm in a diner and I order a burger, I'm going to be soooo tempted to tell the waitress to "hold the AIDS". :D

10. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    How long have the vamps been out of the coffin in this reality? Wouldn't most of these issues (crosses, garlic, etc) have been sorted out all ready if there is a VRA in the works?

I'm still unclear on the turning. Was Bill turned because he was drained first, even though he mostly appears to be weakened rather than "almost dead"? I am guessing from the position of his sire that the effects of V have always been known. ;) Did Sookie have a response like Jason's? Surely she had much more of Bill's blood than Jason did from that vial.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I'm pretty sure we've known for some time that you won't catch AIDS from a hamburger too.

Looks to me like turning occurs when you die with V in your system or get fully drained. She seemed about to drain him fully.

12. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    So am I the only one that would like to try a couple of hits of that blotter "V"?

This is a ridiculous show, but I love it. I don't quite yet know if I love it because it is campy, or it is just Bill's accent, or Terras smart assedness, or Grandma Stackhouse (what the...), or the kick butt Chris Isaak song, but I enjoy the heck out of it.

13. mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    I absolutely LOVE this show to. And I really love the opening song, is that really Chris Isaak? I've been meaning to look it up and I thought it had a strong Chris Isaak vibe but thought the voice didn't sound quite like him and the words were too close to some of his other songs. It sounded more like someone strongly influenced by Isaak.

Like Buffy Said: "No. In order to be turned the vampire will need to suck all your blood and you'll need to suck their blood and well, it's a whole sucking thing. Usually they'll just kill you."

I don't even think they thought it would hurt him. I think it was more of a taunt.

14. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    No. :D

15. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    Vampires are typically portrayed as unable to be near garlic. And specifically in the books from this series they tell the public that they are "allergic" to silver and garlic.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Okay. For those of us without the benefit of the books, so far we've only been told explicity about the silver. He definitely reacted to the garlic, but it appeared to only be annoyance. Of course, it was at quite a distance, so it could have just been foreshadowing for a more significant encounter later.

Maybe he takes Sookie to an Italian restaurant and has a bad reaction. :D

17. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Very cool. I haven't read the books and didn't know that.

18. evachka

evachka New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    NYC
    I think the fact that she doesn't react shows how big her reaction really is. She's in shock. This woman raised her and her brother and finds the one person that's really always been there dead.

19. fishboyjr

fishboyjr New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The song is "Bad Things" by Jace Everett.

20. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Well, don't I feel like a right idiot :eek:
    Where the heck do I get my info?