Troubleshooting/diagnosis bad tuner in Elite XL4

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by SVTarHeel, Jan 23, 2020.

1. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    I got an e-mail from an acquaintance last night. He has an Elite XL4 with Lifetime and has been told it has a bad tuner but doesn't know any more than that. What do I need to know to find out if it's fixable? My only Premiere experience is with the 2-tuner/antenna models...

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If it is a bad tuner, it is not fixable, and must be replaced.

3. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks, that was my fear. Is there anything I can do to verify that it is indeed bad? I suspect the stumbling block will be the lack of a cable account/card...

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Simple. Restart the box. When it's done, check all the tuners in Diagnostics. They should be identical since they will all be on the same channel.

Sorry, no cable card: no channels. Unless he has a clear QAM channel. So run a channel scan. Maybe it will find one. I have two.

5. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks, that makes sense. I have since discovered that he also has a Roamio with a bad tuner. With *2* units with a diagnosed bad tuner, what do you think the likelihood is that it would be 1) poor customer support from the cable company (there’s a CableCard hiccup and they default to “Uhh, you have a bad tuner.”), or 2) some kind of power surge or lightning strike fried them both?

But those are largely guesses from ignorance. I've never used a TiVo with anything besides an antenna.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you are using the same cable card in both units I would speculate that the card is bad. I don't know if you can program a card for just three tuners.

7. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    I don’t know if it’s the same card giving the issue or not. I’m operating blindly since I don’t have access to the units.

I think, in the end, he‘d like to get rid of both units and move forward. I was operating on the (perhaps erroneous) assumption that a bad tuner was uncommon enough - especially in two units of differing model numbers - that it might be something simple (or nothing at all) and I could get them from him, test and update them, and re-home them to someone who could use them... I hate to see usable tech scrapped.

8. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I've experience hiccups that cause the CableCard to have problems with individual streams, which would look like a "bad tuner". Power cycling the hardware fixed the problem.

If the problem persists when changing to a different CableCard, then it isn't fixable.

9. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks for the feedback snerd

10. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Updated info: the diagnosis came via a call to TiVo. Apparently, they helped diagnose through the read out system and said it was a tuner issue.

Any educated guesses as to whether or not they’re likely to live again? I don't have them in my possession to test anything and wouldn’t be able to do much with the Elite since I don’t have cable service. Is a TiVo rep likely to punt with a ‘bad tuner’ diagnosis when flummoxed?