Troubleshooting Cisco Tuning Adapter (with Series 3 and Charter)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rallykeeper, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rallykeeper

rallykeeper New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Southern...

Advertisements

I've mined the TA threads, and I think I have a new issue (could there be any more?). FWIW, I don't consider myself a newbie: I've been a lurker here for probably a decade (my first TiVo was the Sony SAT-T60), but I've only posted a couple times since I can usually find my question already answered and/or I didn't have much to add to a conversation.

My TiVo setup:

- Charter Cable (in Burbank/Glendale, CA region)

- 2 Series 3 TiVos. Each with one functioning M-Card (in single stream mode) and a Cisco TA. The installers never seemed to be able to get the 2nd M-Card to work correctly and I finally gave up on 2 tuners in these TiVos.

- 1 Series 3 has a MyDVR 500 GB drive which has never given me an ounce of trouble.

- 1 TiVo Premiere with one M-Card and a Cisco TA. Both tuners work fine.

- Unfortunately, I haven't really kept track of my version history for the Series 3 TiVos.

Everything has been working fine for 4 months.

I only recently moved to this house -- having come from a neighboring Charter territory where I'd had rock solid SDV performance on my Series 3's for over a year -- and great CableCard performance for 2 years before that.

Late last week (possibly as early as Wednesday), both TAs for the Series 3 TiVo's stopped tuning SDV channels. I've power cycled the TA (using every version described on these forums), restarted, disconnected, etc. and nothing seems to have worked. Each TiVo is still reporting signal strength in the low 90s (that had seemed to be a problem during setup for the Series 3's).

TiVo Premier TA is chugging along just fine.

I'm guessing that both my Series 3 TiVo TAs failing at the same time is not a coincidence, and either Charter or TiVo must have changed something. That being said, it's certainly possible that both failed at the same time given the fantastically poor programming and build of Cisco's TAs (Cisco really shouldn't have put their name on the TA since I'll likely never buy any of their products again).

Before I go through the living hell that is Charter/TiVo troubleshooting, I was wondering whether anyone here has seen similar behavior.

Anyone know of any upstream changes (either from TiVo or Charter)?

Better yet, anyone have any ideas for fixes that I could try?

(Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be complete).

2. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    From the TA diag screens--the PowerKey screen to be exact--what's the Sub-Expires date? If it's expired you probably need to give a call to your cable co.

I've observed my TA lock-up/freeze and stop processing the authorization messages (weekly in my area) until it's rebooted. I've always caught it in time to get the next update before expiration though so I'm a little unsure what hoops to jump through after the sub-expires date passes or if it'll just clear up on its own after a couple of days.

3. rallykeeper

rallykeeper New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Southern...
    Thanks for the reply. I went home to check those expiration dates yesterday and discovered that the TAs had finally begun working (after 4 days).

Very weird. I guess I'll post again to this string if I see this behavior again.