Troubleshooting C423 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mikeblas, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mikeblas

mikeblas New Member

Feb 16, 2005

Advertisements

Hello!

I have the following Tivo equipment:

Tivo Bolt+
    Tivo Mini
    Tivo Premiere XL4
    Tivo Series3 HD
    Tivo Series3 HD
    Tivo Series3 HD

I've most recently set up the Bolt+ and Mini because Comcast is going to MPEG4 and I'm starting to lose HD channels on the older boxes.

All of the equipment is on my wired network. The wired network is protected by a SonicWall TZ 300 firewall which is connected to my Comcast cable modem.

I'm finding that I can't transfer shows from any box to nay other box. When I try, the boxes say that they can't connect because of Tivo error C423. I've forced connections to the Tivo service and they work; I've done it multiple times. I've rebooted boxes in various combinations.

The errors persist.

If I do a port test on the Tivo diagnostics screen, the tests pass. All the network tests pass, though they vary from model to model--DNS, network resolution, whatever. The Tivo can't discover any problem for itself ... until I try to transfer a show.

The Mini can watch live TV with the Bolt+ as its source. However, it also can not read already-recorded shows from the Bolt+.

I also notice that the devices list each other in the "my programs" display (or the "my devices" display, or ...) without a problem. That is, they're detecting each other just fine. But they're failing to handshake, or allow the exchange of media when I want to browse the content on one box to play on another.

The Tivo documentation for the problem is painfully vague and unhelpful.

What other things can I do to troubleshot this issue?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is the result of the curse from the Tivo service update to v20.6.3

3. mikeblas

mikeblas New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks, Thabto.

My Mini is running "20.6.3.RC7-01-6-A93". I'd have to go check what the other devices are running ...

Is this issue documented somewhere?

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo is aware of Series 3/C423 but we don't know when it'll be fixed.

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

I received a really asinine email response on this problem from the fools at Bad Rovi today. The idiots told me to reboot everything on my network and force connections to TiVo. I REALLY did not want to waste my time doing this, since I was smart enough to try all that when the problem was first shoved at us, but I did it all anyway (you loose your right to complain if you do not cooperate). Guess what? NO friggin change!

I'm still complaining!

What a bunch of Bozzos.

6. nrobertson

nrobertson Member

Dec 14, 2003
    I had this exact issue with C423 after the 20.6.3 update on my Tivo Premier. I have 1 Premier and 2 Series3 HD. I found a work-around in another thread here. Changed the Tivo Premier to SD menus (was on HD) and then it was able to connect to my Series3 HD units. I had also done all the mentioned reboots, force Tivo service connects etc. with no luck until I applied this work-around. It's annoying as I like the HD menus on the Premier but until this is fixed I guess I don't have much of a choice as I have to have transfers working.