troubles converting series 1 dual drive to single drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mcsmackton, Apr 17, 2011.

1. mcsmackton

mcsmackton New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    hello,
    I'm hoping I have missed something obvious, from what i have read this should be working.

orig setup: tivo series 1 HDR31201, 30GB Quantum Fireball.
    added 80GB seagate as a drive B at some point.

recently the Quantum has started emitting a high pitched noise (presumably the bearings a getting a little worn). so i figured, how hard is it to combines my 2 drives onto a spare maxtor diamond max 9 plus 200GB i had laying around.

I have followed the instructions at hinsdale-how-to/index9.html , and used the boot disk at dvr/stores/1/lba48.cfm

at this point I have been able to create a small backup file, mfsinfo works on the original A and B drives. If I try to restore onto the new maxtor drive from either the backup file without the recordings or from a full mfsrestore with the recordings the program says it succeeded (mfsrestore with the -x flag even said it created partitions 13 and 14 i believe).

however heres the problem. the maxtor gives an error when running mfsinfo /dev/hdc about the mfs headers being invalid. obviously copykern also fails tryig to copy the original kermel and doesnt swap in the new one.

is there anything obvious im missing about my new drive being compatable? thoughts? i'm out of ideas.

2. mcsmackton

mcsmackton New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    i'm retesting my backup but i'm betting this is the issue.

I had EZ drive installed on this drive. i didn't really notice at first because things were more or less working I think due to the fact that the linux boot disk can deal with EZ drive by default. I tried to "fix" the mbr by writing over the EZ drive sector based on some info I dug up but while it has nuked EZ drive it did not restore the tivo partition table.

so we'll see shortly if that was the issue. bah.

3. mcsmackton

mcsmackton New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    yep it was ez-drive. arg. so what it shows when the linux boot disk boots is something like this

kernel: hda: [EZD] [remap 0->1] ...

if you see that you want to use any number of tools to nuke the mbr of this drive before you proceed as mfsrestore will not work as expected even if is says success.

this is how i booted the lba48 linux boot disk disabling the EZ drive swap feature

boot: vmlinuz hdX=noremap
    [where hdX is the hard drive with the EZ drive issue .. in my case it was hdc]

at this point you could use fdisk to nuke the mbr or just use mfsrestore .. i think it will correctly overwrite the mbr at this point.